[Complete] The Chinese Kitten by Edna Adelaide Brown - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I could do Section 14
Russ Bruno
AlosLovecraft

Post by AlosLovecraft »

Hi! I saw your call for readers wanted and thought i would put my hat in the ring. I recently passed my one minute test and this charming little “tail” will be a great starter.

I saw from another post that i need to be set up? I will use my user name AlosLovecraft. No website or other links. I just want to read :D (and eventually pl as well ).

With that i would like to claim Section 8 Sunday afternoon.

Regards!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Shasta wrote: December 19th, 2018, 4:22 pm I could do Section 14
Thank you for claiming
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

AlosLovecraft wrote: December 23rd, 2018, 5:13 pm Hi! I saw your call for readers wanted and thought i would put my hat in the ring. I recently passed my one minute test and this charming little “tail” will be a great starter.

I saw from another post that i need to be set up? I will use my user name AlosLovecraft. No website or other links. I just want to read :D (and eventually pl as well ).

With that i would like to claim Section 8 Sunday afternoon.

Regards!
Welcome. I will add you to the catalog and sign you up. Please be sure to read the first post, and ask if you have questions.
AlosLovecraft

Post by AlosLovecraft »

Hi Lynnet,
I think I spoke too soon. I’ll have to pass on section 8. Sorry for that.

Happy holidays
Alos
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

AlosLovecraft wrote: December 23rd, 2018, 9:57 pm Hi Lynnet,
I think I spoke too soon. I’ll have to pass on section 8. Sorry for that.

Happy holidays
Alos
Not a problem!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Russ Bruno
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Shasta wrote: December 24th, 2018, 11:23 am Here is Chapter 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_14_brown_128kb.mp3 Time: 25:05
Thank you!
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 14 - PL OK! :clap:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 5 fixed.
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Lynnet wrote: December 25th, 2018, 8:30 am Chapter 5 fixed.
Chapter 5 - Spot PL OK! :thumbs:
Lushnam

Post by Lushnam »

I would like to read section 10. This would be my first LibriVox recording (although I've proof-listened before).

Here's the link to my 1-Minute Test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Lushnam.mp3

I often have trouble getting analog microphones to work with Audacity on Linux (and Linux is what I use); so, I looked for USB microphones, and the cost wasn't much less than digital audio recorders; so, I got one of those instead (so I could record in more private locations than where my desktop computer is). Anyway, the quality of the recordings sound good to me, but I'm not sure what you'll think of it. Please let me know if it's too quiet (or too loud); I could speak closer or further away from the microphone (and/or attempt to speak louder). I didn't filter the sound on the test, and I held the recorder about a foot and a half away from my mouth.

The digital voice recorder I got is the black 16GB version that you can find here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KBWN8L1/

Although it can record 128kb MP3s directly, I think it does it in stereo, and it seems to sound better if I record it in the highest quality wav format they offer, and then export it to MP3 (where I can export it as mono) from Audacity.

Unfortunately, it records the clicks (loudly) when I press the stop/pause buttons (unless I use an external microphone—but I don't have a good one for the purpose; it does come with a small external microphone, but the recordings with it were quite quiet compared to the internal one). The clicks are easy enough to edit out with Audacity, though. When initially starting a recording, it takes a few seconds before it starts, but it if you pause and unpause, it starts recording again immediately.

Anyway, I'm not really recommending that recorder for other LibriVox users, but it does seem to me (as someone who hasn't done any LibriVox recordings yet, but has listened to lots) that it could be reasonably workable, and I personally like the recording quality.

Also, do you have a brief summary of what the book is about? Essentially, all I could find was that it was about a picnic where a kitten named Timmy wasn't invited. I've already read section 10 to myself (not out loud); it seems to be about readying an area to be a park.

There's a French word (Souris, which means mouse) in the section; it occurs six times (as the name of a mouse-colored donkey). Do I need to try to pronounce it like a French person, or is an American approximation of the French okay (without the French-style r)?

I'm fine with you using my forum name in the catalog.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lushnam wrote: January 9th, 2019, 1:33 am I would like to read section 10. This would be my first LibriVox recording (although I've proof-listened before).

Here's the link to my 1-Minute Test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Lushnam.mp3

I often have trouble getting analog microphones to work with Audacity on Linux (and Linux is what I use); so, I looked for USB microphones, and the cost wasn't much less than digital audio recorders; so, I got one of those instead (so I could record in more private locations than where my desktop computer is). Anyway, the quality of the recordings sound good to me, but I'm not sure what you'll think of it. Please let me know if it's too quiet (or too loud); I could speak closer or further away from the microphone (and/or attempt to speak louder). I didn't filter the sound on the test, and I held the recorder about a foot and a half away from my mouth.

The digital voice recorder I got is the black 16GB version that you can find here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KBWN8L1/

Although it can record 128kb MP3s directly, I think it does it in stereo, and it seems to sound better if I record it in the highest quality wav format they offer, and then export it to MP3 (where I can export it as mono) from Audacity.

Unfortunately, it records the clicks (loudly) when I press the stop/pause buttons (unless I use an external microphone—but I don't have a good one for the purpose; it does come with a small external microphone, but the recordings with it were quite quiet compared to the internal one). The clicks are easy enough to edit out with Audacity, though. When initially starting a recording, it takes a few seconds before it starts, but it if you pause and unpause, it starts recording again immediately.

Anyway, I'm not really recommending that recorder for other LibriVox users, but it does seem to me (as someone who hasn't done any LibriVox recordings yet, but has listened to lots) that it could be reasonably workable, and I personally like the recording quality.

Also, do you have a brief summary of what the book is about? Essentially, all I could find was that it was about a picnic where a kitten named Timmy wasn't invited. I've already read section 10 to myself (not out loud); it seems to be about readying an area to be a park.

There's a French word (Souris, which means mouse) in the section; it occurs six times (as the name of a mouse-colored donkey). Do I need to try to pronounce it like a French person, or is an American approximation of the French okay (without the French-style r)?

I'm fine with you using my forum name in the catalog.
Hi Lushnam and welcome to “the other side”.
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum... sometimes I am able to listen to tests, but have a houseful of guests for another week :roll:

I have not read the entire book, so am not really able to summarize it... but it is basically about two sisters and their pet kitten. Maybe Jennifer, our DPL, can help here?

As for pronunciation, Americanized is fine, although, I personally would say “soo-ree”. No need to roll your r :D
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

The story is just about two sisters over the course of about a year and the things that they do with their family. The kitten mentioned in the first chapter doesn't really factor into the story. The Chinese kitten is a part of an old chess set that the girls get from their aunt because one of the girls lost her necklace (a silver bear) during a camping trip. Just a cute little story. Lots of working on needle point, washing dishes, going to school, and different holiday's and what they do during them.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

:thumbs: I might use some of this in the written blurb before we go to catalog 8-)
jenniferrd wrote: January 9th, 2019, 9:23 am The story is just about two sisters over the course of about a year and the things that they do with their family. The kitten mentioned in the first chapter doesn't really factor into the story. The Chinese kitten is a part of an old chess set that the girls get from their aunt because one of the girls lost her necklace (a silver bear) during a camping trip. Just a cute little story. Lots of working on needle point, washing dishes, going to school, and different holiday's and what they do during them.