[Complete] Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16996
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: Oregon

Post by Lynnet » June 24th, 2019, 5:38 am

GillH wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 3:20 am
Section 16 (20:26)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_16_babbage_128kb.mp3
I'm not sure about the sound quality. My laptop doesn't seem to be recording consistently at the moment.
Thank you
Help us finish:

Mary Anerley by R.D. Blackmore 30 sections remaining
Stories by Foreign Authors -German Authors 2 sections remaining

afutterer
Posts: 3734
Joined: February 23rd, 2016, 3:04 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by afutterer » July 8th, 2019, 8:35 am

PL NOTES:

I apologize for the delay in getting these results up but I was on vacation. I brought the recordings with me but the MW on a phone is challenging. :thumbs:

Sections 10,12,16,27,36,37

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus

thevoiceoftom
Posts: 9
Joined: May 30th, 2019, 10:18 am
Location: near Tucson, AZ

Post by thevoiceoftom » July 19th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Lynnet wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 10:02 am
thevoiceoftom wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 5:13 am
I see that there is yet one section unassigned. May I claim section: 23 Electioneering Experience; and help close out this volume?
Respectfully,
Thomas
That would be wonderful
May I have a couple more weeks? Life happed. I should have it done by the end of the month.
V/R, Thomas
-TheVoiceOfTom-

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16996
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: Oregon

Post by Lynnet » July 19th, 2019, 3:07 pm

thevoiceoftom wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Lynnet wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 10:02 am
thevoiceoftom wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 5:13 am
I see that there is yet one section unassigned. May I claim section: 23 Electioneering Experience; and help close out this volume?
Respectfully,
Thomas
That would be wonderful
May I have a couple more weeks? Life happed. I should have it done by the end of the month.
V/R, Thomas
Sure
Help us finish:

Mary Anerley by R.D. Blackmore 30 sections remaining
Stories by Foreign Authors -German Authors 2 sections remaining

ColleenMc
Posts: 1001
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » July 25th, 2019, 5:37 am

Section 30:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_30_babbage_128kb.mp3

29:18

thanks for your patience!

Colleen

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16996
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: Oregon

Post by Lynnet » July 25th, 2019, 11:57 am

ColleenMc wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 5:37 am
Section 30:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_30_babbage_128kb.mp3

29:18

thanks for your patience!

Colleen
Thank you
Help us finish:

Mary Anerley by R.D. Blackmore 30 sections remaining
Stories by Foreign Authors -German Authors 2 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16996
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: Oregon

Post by Lynnet » July 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm

We have an orhan
Help us finish:

Mary Anerley by R.D. Blackmore 30 sections remaining
Stories by Foreign Authors -German Authors 2 sections remaining

Jmbau13
Posts: 100
Joined: June 10th, 2019, 7:22 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Post by Jmbau13 » July 31st, 2019, 4:15 pm

Lynnet wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm
We have an orhan
I’ll be happy to claim that poor orphan section
regards
Jane Bennett

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16996
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: Oregon

Post by Lynnet » July 31st, 2019, 7:07 pm

Jmbau13 wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 4:15 pm
Lynnet wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm
We have an orhan
I’ll be happy to claim that poor orphan section
Great!
Help us finish:

Mary Anerley by R.D. Blackmore 30 sections remaining
Stories by Foreign Authors -German Authors 2 sections remaining

thevoiceoftom
Posts: 9
Joined: May 30th, 2019, 10:18 am
Location: near Tucson, AZ

Post by thevoiceoftom » August 1st, 2019, 5:17 pm

Section 23, Chapter 21 Electioneering Experience. 29:50.
Posted, ready for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_23_babbage_128kb.mp3

V/R,
Thomas
-TheVoiceOfTom-

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16996
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: Oregon

Post by Lynnet » August 1st, 2019, 5:24 pm

thevoiceoftom wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 5:17 pm
Section 23, Chapter 21 Electioneering Experience. 29:50.
Posted, ready for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_23_babbage_128kb.mp3

V/R,
Thomas
Thank you
Help us finish:

Mary Anerley by R.D. Blackmore 30 sections remaining
Stories by Foreign Authors -German Authors 2 sections remaining

afutterer
Posts: 3734
Joined: February 23rd, 2016, 3:04 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by afutterer » August 5th, 2019, 9:17 am

PL NOTES:

SECTIONS 23, 30

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus

ColleenMc
Posts: 1001
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » August 5th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Thanks! I was so amused in reading this chapter, imagining Babbage running around showing everyone how to make a hole in glass or showing off his blind cave fish, and wondering if his friends and acquaintances all found it as thrilling as Babbage does, and as he reports they do.

I'm imagining his various acquaintances rolling their eyes and mumbling to each other, "Oh God here comes Chuck with those damn fish again! And hide the glass or he'll want to show you his trick!"

Actually, being somewhat familiar with the preoccupations and behaviors of autistic persons (especially "Asperger's" or "high functioning" persons, tho those terms are no longer officially used), reading the chapter made me wonder if he was on the spectrum...did anyone else get that impression? His fascination/obsession with his calculating machines kind of fits too.

Colleen

TwoRavens
Posts: 94
Joined: February 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Post by TwoRavens » August 8th, 2019, 4:10 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 12:37 pm
Thanks! I was so amused in reading this chapter, imagining Babbage running around showing everyone how to make a hole in glass or showing off his blind cave fish, and wondering if his friends and acquaintances all found it as thrilling as Babbage does, and as he reports they do.

I'm imagining his various acquaintances rolling their eyes and mumbling to each other, "Oh God here comes Chuck with those damn fish again! And hide the glass or he'll want to show you his trick!"

Actually, being somewhat familiar with the preoccupations and behaviors of autistic persons (especially "Asperger's" or "high functioning" persons, tho those terms are no longer officially used), reading the chapter made me wonder if he was on the spectrum...did anyone else get that impression? His fascination/obsession with his calculating machines kind of fits too.

Colleen
Well, I read the chapter entitled "Street Nuisances", in which Babbage railed against street musicians in florid, luxuriant language.
It certainly seemed to me to be an over-the top response - but I also intend to do a bit of research to see just how much of a
problem street musicians actually were in Babbage's time.
I did see a reference somewhere to a Scientific American article which talked about a problem some people have where the fine hairs
in their ear canals are not as numerous as the average person, and so sounds affect them more. It was suggested that an autopsy
showed this to be the case for Babbage.
Anyway, the chapters I read gave me a picture of an exceptional mind, in so many ways. I look forward to listening to the whole
book once it is completed.
Cheers,
Stephen

Jmbau13
Posts: 100
Joined: June 10th, 2019, 7:22 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Post by Jmbau13 » August 31st, 2019, 11:38 pm

I believe this now just awaits my reading the last section. Will do a.s.a.p, should be within the fortnight.
regards
Jane Bennett

Post Reply