[Complete] Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/passages-from-the-life-of-a-philosopher-by-charles-babbage/

Some men write their lives to save themselves from ennui, careless of the amount they inflict on their readers.
Others write their personal history, lest some kind friend should survive them, and, in showing off his own talent, unwittingly show them up.
Others, again, write their own life from a different motive—from fear that the vampires of literature might make it their prey.
I have frequently had applications to write my life, both from my countrymen and from foreigners. Some caterers for the public offered to pay me for it. Others required that I should pay them for its insertion; others offered to insert it without charge. One proposed to give me a quarter of a column gratis, and as many additional lines of eloge as I chose to write and pay for at ten-pence per line. To many of these I sent a list of my works, with the remark that they formed the best life of an author; but nobody cared to insert them.
I have no desire to write my own biography, as long as I have strength and means to do better work.
The remarkable circumstances attending those Calculating Machines, on which I have spent so large a portion of my life, make me wish to place on record some account of their past history. As, however, such a work would be utterly uninteresting to the greater part of my countrymen, I thought it might be rendered less unpalatable by relating some of my experience amongst various classes of society, widely differing from each other, in which I have occasionally mixed.
This volume does not aspire to the name of an autobiography. It relates a variety of isolated circumstances in which I have taken part—some of them arranged in the order of time, and others grouped together in separate chapters, from similarity of subject.
The selection has been made in some cases from the importance of the matter. In others, from the celebrity of the persons concerned ; whilst several of them furnish interesting illustrations of human character. ( From the Preface)

Please note: this work includes language some listeners may find offensive. It is Librivox policy to read texts as written, without censorship, in order to maintain historical accuracy.
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57532
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Charles Babbage) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Passages_from_the_Life_of_a_Philosopher
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 37
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1864
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Philosophy; *Non-fiction/Mathematics; *Non-fiction/Technology & Engineering

Keywords that describe the book: mathematics, invention, computers

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

NOTES to readers:

Please ignore abstracts (the list at the beginning of chapters saying what is in the chapter)
    Please DO read any quotations at the beginning of chapters.
    Please DO read subtitles (in parenthesis on the right)
    Please read footnotes at the end of the sentence in which they occur, in the format "Footnote... end footnote"
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Passages from the Life of a Philosopher. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Passages from the Life of a Philosopher, by Charles Babbage. [Section number and name]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Passages from the Life of a Philosopher, by Charles Babbage. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    lifeofaphilosopher_##_babbage_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lifeofaphilosopher_01_babbage_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

I can help out and PL this if you want. Sounds interesting.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

afutterer wrote: September 20th, 2018, 12:35 pm I can help out and PL this if you want. Sounds interesting.
Great... do you want to DPL?
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Yes ma'am. I'd love that.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

afutterer wrote: September 20th, 2018, 7:01 pm Yes ma'am. I'd love that.
I've added you as DPL.
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

May I please claim chapter 2 and 3?

Thanks,

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTIONS 00 AND 01

PL OK
Anthony

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

amitsharma wrote: September 20th, 2018, 11:08 pm May I please claim chapter 2 and 3?

Thanks,

Amit
Thank you for claiming
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

Hi,

Here is chapter 02 ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_02_babbage_128kb.mp3

Running time: 17:09

warm regards,

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

amitsharma wrote: September 26th, 2018, 5:45 am Hi,

Here is chapter 02 ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_02_babbage_128kb.mp3

Running time: 17:09

warm regards,

Amit
Thank you
pdyer

Post by pdyer »

May I have Section 8?
Philip
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

pdyer wrote: September 26th, 2018, 10:31 am May I have Section 8?
You may!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 02 - Childhood

PL OK
Anthony

ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Hi Lynne,

I'd be happy to read chapters 9 and 10.

I will need some guidance on how you want us to tackle pictures, tables and equations however.

Best Regards, Chris.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ccfpcl wrote: September 28th, 2018, 10:03 am Hi Lynne,

I'd be happy to read chapters 9 and 10.

I will need some guidance on how you want us to tackle pictures, tables and equations however.

Best Regards, Chris.
Thank you for claiming.
I am no scientist and there is no hard and fast rule on how to read charts and tables, so to a large extent, it's what makes sense to you.
I would note the following, though:

The re the table following"Any number which the Analytical Engine is capable of using or of producing can, if required, be expressed by a card with certain holes in it; thus—"

Omit 'thus' and go straight onto the following paragraph. (You could insert 'there follows a table')

The chart that looks like dominoes, I'd just pretend it's not there, nd just read the text.

The equation should be read as is... yes, zero, zero, zero etc.

As I said before, if something else makes more sense, go with it, without leaving out any text.