COMPLETE [Fortnightly Poetry] Women I'm Not Married To by Franklin Adams - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Women I'm Not Married To by Franklin Pierce Adams (1881 - 1960).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/women-im-not-married-to-by-franklin-pierce-adams/

Note: Franklin Pierce Adams died in 1960. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).
This poem is the sequel to/answer to Dorothy Parker's poem, Men I'm Not Married To, with a decidedly different but equally humorous take on the matter. Both poems were published simultaneously in a book entitled The Men I'm Not Married To, and this poem is preceded by a dedication which will be read herein. Adams was well know for his satire and witty writing. ( ~ Michele Fry)
Each fortnight a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This fortnight's poem can be found here.

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording. If this is your first recording, you'll also find this Newbie Guide to Recording useful.
Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Women I'm Not Married To by, Franklin Pierce Adams, read for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal url.]
Then read the poem:
DEDICATION: TO MRS. FRANKLIN P. ADAMS,
BUT FOR WHOM THIS BOOK MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN WRITTEN,
BUT FOR WHOM IT WAS

“Whene’er I take my walks”—you know
The rest—“abroad,” I always meet
Elaine or Maude or Anne or Flo,
Belinda, Blanche, or Marguerite;

And Melancholy, bittersweet,
Sets seal upon me when I view—
Coldly, and from a judgment seat—
The women I’m not married to.

Not mine the sighs for Long Ago;
Not mine to mourn the obsolete;
With Burns and Shelley, Keats and Poe
I have no yearning to compete.

No Dead Sea pickled pears I eat;
I never touch a drop of rue;
I toast, and drink my pleasure neat,
The women I’m not married to!

Fate with her celebrated blow
Frequently knocks me off my feet;
And Life her dice box chucks a throw
That usually has me beat.

Yet although Love has tried to treat
Me rough, award the kid his due.
Look at the list, though incomplete:
The women I’m not married to.

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: womenimnotmarriedto_adams_your initials in lowercase_128kb.mp3

ID3 tags (Version 2):
Artist Name: Franklin Pierce Adams
Track Title: Women I'm Not Married To - Read by YOUR INITIALS (e.g. Women I'm Not Married To - Read by KLH)
Album Title: LibriVox Fortnightly Poetry
Comments: (optional) Recorded by [your name]

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalogue page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)
(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, July 29th (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!<p>

Magic Window:

BC Admin
(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming fortnightly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Fortnightly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
Last edited by msfry on July 17th, 2018, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grs2905

Post by grs2905 »

MC does not seem to be specified; so boldly assuming that it is same as last time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/womenimnotmarriedto_adams_grs_128kb.mp3

Regards,

GRS
msfry

Post by msfry »

aradlaw is indeed our mc. I don't know why the Template Generator didn't specify that in the First Post. Gremlins at work? Did I do something wrong? I will rectify that right now. Thanks for pointing it out.
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Sorry for the delay, there is the MW.
Since Mr Adams died in 1960 we need to add the PD Note in the Opening Post. :D
This author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

msfry wrote: July 17th, 2018, 5:31 pm aradlaw is indeed our mc. I don't know why the Template Generator didn't specify that in the First Post. Gremlins at work? Did I do something wrong? I will rectify that right now. Thanks for pointing it out.
No, the MC needs to be entered manually in the upload section of the OP. :wink:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
msfry

Post by msfry »

aradlaw wrote: July 18th, 2018, 7:01 amNo, the MC needs to be entered manually in the upload section of the OP. :wink:
:thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Fritz and GRS, your poems are PL OK. Thanks.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/womenimnotmarriedto_adams_wj_128kb.mp3 1.58 KB 01:40

This is a cute "Call and Response" pair of poems. Good find, Michele!

It would be interesting to find a third poem titled something like "The Slut I'm Not Shacked Up With".
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
esnewman92

Post by esnewman92 »

I would to read section 3

Thanks,
Ethan
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 18th, 2018, 3:29 pm Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/womenimnotmarriedto_adams_wj_128kb.mp3 1.58 KB 01:40

It would be interesting to find a third poem titled something like "The Slut I'm Not Shacked Up With".
Thanks, Bill. PL OK. You sound like the kind of guy

"who might just have a fickle clue on
what are Dead Sea pickled pears, and rue."
msfry

Post by msfry »

esnewman92 wrote: July 18th, 2018, 6:33 pm I would to read section 3

Thanks,
Ethan
Hi Ethan and welcome. Just submit your poem and it will be assigned a section number at catalog time in the old fashioned way == alphabetical order. :shock:

Yes this is a different from chapter books which flow in sequential pattern and have assigned section numbers.

When you get time please do submit your 1=minute test per your Welcome Letter. We need to know your tech specs are set properly for the LV platform.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 18th, 2018, 8:07 pm

All I can find about Dead Sea pickle pears" are references to hand and body emollients, lotions, etc.
Rue is a bitter, foul smelling herb, a botanic healing plant. I don't see how that fits in with the mentions in these two poems, however.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
grs2905

Post by grs2905 »

williamjones wrote: July 18th, 2018, 9:00 pm
msfry wrote: July 18th, 2018, 8:07 pm

All I can find about Dead Sea pickle pears" are references to hand and body emollients, lotions, etc.
Rue is a bitter, foul smelling herb, a botanic healing plant. I don't see how that fits in with the mentions in these two poems, however.
Rue is traditionally associated with regret.

GRS
msfry

Post by msfry »

grs2905 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 6:18 amRue is traditionally associated with regret.

GRS
As in "Rue the day . . ."