[Complete] Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch by Meinhold -ck/lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MrsHand wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 8:43 am May I read Sections 3, 5 & 6?
Thank you for claiming!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I'll read 15
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LCaulkins wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 8:58 am I'll read 15
Enjoy!
MichaelKnowles

Post by MichaelKnowles »

I am still working on my part by the way, Don't orphan me please!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

MichaelKnowles wrote: December 7th, 2019, 2:22 pm I am still working on my part by the way, Don't orphan me please!
:thumbs:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LCaulkins wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:59 am Here is section 15

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_15_meinhold_128kb.mp3 (11:26)
Thank you
SpookyNoodle

Post by SpookyNoodle »

Hi there, I'd like to claim sections 8 through 11 to read. In the introduction, are we supposed to state the chapter name, or the section name? (The two seem mismatched.)
Everything is hard before it is easy; every first draft is terrible, so that the final draft can be great.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have assigned those sections.
I did not set up the project but my understanding is:

"Section 8 of Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Mary Schweidler, the Amber Witch, by Wilhelm Meinhold, translated by Lucie Duff-Gordon. The Thirteenth Chapter"

And so on.
SpookyNoodle

Post by SpookyNoodle »

Ah, so we'd include the chapter number as part of the title. Is there a preference for accents, just whatever's comfortable or something specific? I'll start setting up my scripts and reading later today.

Also, I prefer to export in FLAC format, because of the balance between file size and audio quality. However, I know that FLAC isn't universally compatible. Do you have a preferred file format you'd like me to use (AAC, MP3, WAV, etc)?

And lastly, I often prefer to include a small amount of background music in the introduction of each chapter, to help engage reader interest, keep things from becoming to dry. I also enjoy underlaying the narration with very quiet ambiance, and light music. BUT I know that most of the other chapters that have been recorded don't do that. Would it be alright to include introductary music and ambiance underneath the narration, or would it be too inconsistent? Could I upload an example for the first section, including what I mean, and if it doesn't work for the project, I can just turn those layers off and upload the straight narration?

UPDATE: Pronunciation question: in the first section, the narrator speaks about "the Opp. St. Augustini", context clues suggesting it's a book of some kind. However, I can't find what "Opp." is short for. Can anyone clue me in on that? Should I just say "Ohp Saint Augustini" ?
Everything is hard before it is easy; every first draft is terrible, so that the final draft can be great.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

SpookyNoodle wrote: December 10th, 2019, 1:38 pm Ah, so we'd include the chapter number as part of the title. Is there a preference for accents, just whatever's comfortable or something specific? I'll start setting up my scripts and reading later today.

Also, I prefer to export in FLAC format, because of the balance between file size and audio quality. However, I know that FLAC isn't universally compatible. Do you have a preferred file format you'd like me to use (AAC, MP3, WAV, etc)?

And lastly, I often prefer to include a small amount of background music in the introduction of each chapter, to help engage reader interest, keep things from becoming to dry. I also enjoy underlaying the narration with very quiet ambiance, and light music. BUT I know that most of the other chapters that have been recorded don't do that. Would it be alright to include introductary music and ambiance underneath the narration, or would it be too inconsistent? Could I upload an example for the first section, including what I mean, and if it doesn't work for the project, I can just turn those layers off and upload the straight narration?

UPDATE: Pronunciation question: in the first section, the narrator speaks about "the Opp. St. Augustini", context clues suggesting it's a book of some kind. However, I can't find what "Opp." is short for. Can anyone clue me in on that? Should I just say "Ohp Saint Augustini" ?
As for accents, just read as you wish. Some readers are comfortable. With accents, others not so much. If you use an accent which is not your own, just try to not be offensive to listeners who may be more familiar with the accent :)

Please export an MP3 file. Other formats are not compatible with our cataloguing process. I know that DRs use other formats, but they undergo a lot of editing and processing before being converted to MP3 and catalogued.

It is against LV policy to use music or sound effects (with a few rare exceptions, such as where a song is in the text)
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Music_%26_Sound_Effects_Rules

As for “opp.” — I do not know what it is an appreciation for. All sources I checked just say “opp. St. Augustine” and is apparently a reference to an Anglican doctrine.
Lynne
SpookyNoodle

Post by SpookyNoodle »

Gotcha, won't use any music or ambiance then. As for accents, I only use the ones I'm super comfortable with, and trained in. I'm not planning on whipping out 'Speedy Gonsalez' or anything.

I was able to find the same Anglican document, but it's always abbreviated as 'Opp.' which sounds silly when I say it. I guess I'll try to find something before I start recording.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

sect 15
PL OK

Excellent reading! :clap:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

thank you :)
~Lynette * -
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Here is Section 3, 28:25.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/amberwitch_03_meinhold_128kb.mp3

This was harder to read than I expected.