[SOLO] Fates of the Princes of Dyfed by Cenydd Morus-annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 11 ready for spot PL, and 13 ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/dyfed_13_morus_128kb.mp3 - 18:49

Maybe I am a bit slow on the uptake, but I have finally worked out what is going in this book. So, there are two princes of Dyfed, Pwyll and Pryderi. Part 13 ends Book 1 and Pwyll receives his fate. I guess Pryderi will get his at the end of Book 2. The gods have been trying out Pwyll for deification and Rhiannon is his sponsor. But it seems that they forgot to tell him (or us!).

This is from someone who thought Rhiannon was a song by Fleetwood Mac....
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Rhiannon is totally a Fleetwood Mac song! I've been trying not to spell it Stevie Nicks's way, and I've been going around singing it to myself. If you want to discuss the Mac I have nothing but time.

Section 11 is spot PL OK.

Section 12 - you had a note about vervain. It's in the last full para, p. 138, at 5.14 and 5.23.
Newgatenovelist

Rhianon (both this one and the Fleetwood Mac one) is brilliant. I thought she'd come through.

Notes for section 13:

5.44-5.46, third para p. 154
Whosoever [heard Whatsoever] may be put into it...

8.16-8.17, mid-page p. 155, pronunciation self-correction
the deserts of the king of Gwent."
Newgatenovelist

I don't know if you read articles for fun, but this came up on a listserv where I hang out. It's about the 70s fantasy series of classic texts, like the Newcastle and Ballantyne. Its perspective is a bit more history of the book. Anyway, it's OA so have a read if you fancy:
https://www.erudit.org/fr/revues/memoires/2010-v2-n1-memoires3974/045319ar/
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Parts 12 & 13 ready for spot PL and Part 14 (a short one) ready for PL.

This is VERY interesting! How do you find these things? I'll have to bookmark it to read at leisure later, but I have already noticed Forgotten Fantasy Magazine - a precursor to the book series. Oh no! How am I going to resist reading the Goddess of Atvatabar?

Newgatenovelist wrote: October 7th, 2018, 10:54 am I don't know if you read articles for fun, but this came up on a listserv where I hang out. It's about the 70s fantasy series of classic texts, like the Newcastle and Ballantyne. Its perspective is a bit more history of the book. Anyway, it's OA so have a read if you fancy:
https://www.erudit.org/fr/revues/memoires/2010-v2-n1-memoires3974/045319ar/
Newgatenovelist

13 and 14 are PL OK. Could you just have a quick listen to the 'vervain' in section 12 at 5.14? I think I'm hearing an unedited bit of the file, but it's turned into one of those instances when a familiar word becomes unfamiliar through repetition and now I'm doubting myself.

I'm pleased you like it! I didn't want to spam you with a bunch of stuff that doesn't appeal. On a purely selfish note, I'm glad we bumped into each other on the fora because it's awfully nice to have somebody about who likes the same nerdy things.

PS The Goddess of Atvatabar is tempting, isn't it? The half-sentence it gets on Wikipedia says it's utopian fiction that includes trade deals. Wild.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

The contents of the five issues courtesy of Internet SF Database. I have just downloaded The Goddess of Atvatabar from Gutenberg - a good copy and excellent illustrations! But I am getting ahead of myself....

Books

The Goddess of Atvatabar – Paul de Longpre (1892) (1:1-3),
Hartmann the anarchist – E. Douglas Fawcett (1893) (1:5 part 1, not finished)

Stories

The parasite – Arthur Conan Doyle (1894) (1:1)
The phantom-wooer (poem) – Thomas Lovell Beddoes (185) (1:1)
The dead smile – F. Marion Crawford (1899) (1:1)
When the gods slept – Pegana _ Lord Dunsany (1906) (1:2)
The shadows on the wall – Mary E. Wilkins Freeman (1903) (1:2)
The fisherman (poem) – Unknown – Matthew Gregory Lewis (n.d.) (1:2)
Memnon, or human wisdom – Voltaire (1747) (1:2)
The valley of spiders – H. G. Wells (1903) (1:3)
The birthmark – Nathaniel Hawthorne (1854) (1:3)
Man-size in marble – E. Nesbit (1887) (1:3)
The hollow land – William Morris (1856) (1:4)
Smith: an episode in a lodging house – Algernon Blackwood (1906) (1:5)
The mer-mother (poem) – Richard Le Gallienne (1903) (1:5)
The pine lady (poem) - Richard Le Gallienne (1903) (1:5)
A lost opportunity – Tudor jenks (1894) (1:5)

Newgatenovelist wrote: October 9th, 2018, 2:48 pm 13 and 14 are PL OK. Could you just have a quick listen to the 'vervain' in section 12 at 5.14? I think I'm hearing an unedited bit of the file, but it's turned into one of those instances when a familiar word becomes unfamiliar through repetition and now I'm doubting myself.

I'm pleased you like it! I didn't want to spam you with a bunch of stuff that doesn't appeal. On a purely selfish note, I'm glad we bumped into each other on the fora because it's awfully nice to have somebody about who likes the same nerdy things.

PS The Goddess of Atvatabar is tempting, isn't it? The half-sentence it gets on Wikipedia says it's utopian fiction that includes trade deals. Wild.
Newgatenovelist

Ooooooh, looks good - by all means, get ahead of yourself! You've got me excited for these!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Chatting is absolutely fine in a Solo - , it's different in a group project because it's so easy to miss a post, so they have to be "working threads"
And I enjoy eavesdropping - or whatever the correct word would be.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 12 is fixed and ready for spot PL. My mistake.
Newgatenovelist

It's a relief that it wasn't just me hearing things! Section 12 is PL OK.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

15 & 16 Ready for PL.

Part 15 is the end of the mare and the foal story and Part 16 is the beginning of a new story, and a rather good one.

The table of contents is confusing again as 16 is not part of the Rhiannon and Pryderi story, which we'll come back to in 18. I have just noticed that there is a clarification of that on p.184 that I did not read, and I will add that after PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/dyfed_15_morus_128kb.mp3 - 21:22
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/dyfed_16_morus_128kb.mp3 - 31:35
Newgatenovelist

One note for 15:

16.57-17.02, first full para, p. 179
...in deep peace [heard space] you will be, undoubtedly, from this out.

No worries on the extra bit from p. 184. I had assumed that to be on the safe side I would do a last check against the MW when that's filled out and everything's uploaded.

On the off chance you didn't spot it already, there's an interview with Maxine Peake in the Graun in which she talks about working on Peterloo and performing the Masque of Anarchy:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/17/maxine-peake-hope-corbyn-people-power-peterloo-radical-legacy
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Nice, and I see there are also clips n YouTube of her reading it at a Peterloo rally in Manchester.

I have my tickets to see Peterloo at the British film festival here at the end of the month. All this reminds me I should set up a Peterloo project soon if it is to be finished within 2019.
Newgatenovelist wrote: October 17th, 2018, 3:32 pm On the off chance you didn't spot it already, there's an interview with Maxine Peake in the Graun in which she talks about working on Peterloo and performing the Masque of Anarchy:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/17/maxine-peake-hope-corbyn-people-power-peterloo-radical-legacy
Newgatenovelist

Notes for 16:

your note about the intro

1.15-1.18, bottom p. 185, extra word
...although none were [more] stronger or more heroic...

3.28-3.29, last sentence p. 186
...by that morning [heard moment]…

Maxine Peake is a force of nature.

I'm glad you've got your tickets. I don't know if it's coming here. If it does, I'd probably be the only Brit in the audience - I think it's rather different for you! I wasn't trying to push you into a Peterloo project, though that would be absolutely marvellous if you do want to do it. I'll tell you now that there were two under-twenty-minute poems I toyed with reading a while back, but there were already outstanding versions. One of those was your Masque of Anarchy. I'm so glad you did it, and I hope it gets thousands of downloads next year.