[COMPLETE] The Book of American Negro Poetry -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The Book of American Negro Poetry, Edited by James Weldon Johnson (1871 - 1938).
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-book-of-american-negro-poetry-by-james-weldon-johnson/
The Book of American Negro Poetry is one of the earliest and most essential anthologies of African-American verse ever brought to print. Edited by writer and diplomat James Weldon Johnson, this collection was published with the hope of bringing to the public a greater awareness of the wide breadth of literature created by Black writers. This is the first edition of this long-republished anthology and collects seminal works by Paul Dunbar, W.E.B. Du Bois, Claude McKay, Leslie Hill, James Corrothers, and many more. ( ChuckW)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11986
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: x9WNlZaY

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (James Weldon Johnson) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Weldon_Johnson
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 35
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known): 1922
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Poetry/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book: african-american literature, black literature, african-american author

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Book of American Negro Poetry. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Book of American Negro Poetry, Edited by James Weldon Johnson. [Section #] [Poet's Name/Chapter Name]" (Then read the name of each poem and leave 2-3 seconds of silence between each selection)

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Book of American Negro Poetry, Edited by James Weldon Johnson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    bookofamericannegropoetry_##_johnson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. bookofamericannegropoetry_01_johnson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ChuckW on October 17th, 2018, 10:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I was going to hold off on this project for a little while longer, but annise encouraged me to go ahead and launch it now... so here we are. :-)
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I better take it on then :D Back with an MW in a bit

Anne
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

annise wrote: July 10th, 2018, 12:34 pm I better take it on then :D Back with an MW in a bit

Anne
Thanks Anne! :-)
PROJECTS
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MW set up.
I assume your going to add a bit here " The Book of American Negro Poetry, Edited by James Weldon Johnson. [Section]"
Personally I'd leave out the edited bit and replace it with the poets name. then read the poem title of poem 1, poem 1. breath ,poem2 title poem2 etc , but I'm not sure I've ever MCed poetry before so it's up to you
Anne
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

annise wrote: July 10th, 2018, 12:57 pm MW set up.
I assume your going to add a bit here " The Book of American Negro Poetry, Edited by James Weldon Johnson. [Section]"
Personally I'd leave out the edited bit and replace it with the poets name. then read the poem title of poem 1, poem 1. breath ,poem2 title poem2 etc , but I'm not sure I've ever MCed poetry before so it's up to you
Anne
Oh, right. I should probably fix that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Alright, the MW is finished and we're officially ready for business!
PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I have the following: 3,12,20,21,26,27
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

silverquill wrote: July 10th, 2018, 9:01 pm May I have the following: 3,12,20,21,26,27
Whoa, thanks Larry! You caught me right before heading off to bed. Glad I stayed up. :thumbs:
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

We seem to have a shortage of DPLs right now, so I can do it myself if all else fails. :-)
PROJECTS
dwgore

Post by dwgore »

May I claim #13, JOHN WESLEY HOLLOWAY?
DavidG
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

dwgore wrote: July 12th, 2018, 5:17 pm May I claim #13, JOHN WESLEY HOLLOWAY?
Hi David! Thanks for volunteering! I'd be happy to have you onboard. :-)

I also see that you're still waiting for the results of your one minute test. This is to make sure your technical settings are all correct. Just make sure you wait for the results of that before recording.

Then secondly, I need to know the name you want to use as your reader name. This can be your forum name or real name or any other pseudonym -- up to you. Then I can open your personal reader page.

Once your test is approved, you can start working on the section. Just post back here to confirm, so I can make the claim official. :) In the first post you'll see all the details for correct file-naming and intro/outro.

Thanks again!
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Okay, this is probably unorthodox, but we're starting with the very last chapter of the book. Has that ever happened before?

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/bookofamericannegropoetry_35_johnson_128kb.mp3 [20:00]

I can PL the rest of this book on my own, but will obviously need someone to double check my recordings. I'll probably wind up claiming other sections too, but I wanna see what you guys take first.

EDIT: Just realize I forgot to include the LV disclaimer at the beginning. Whoops. Lemme fix that.

EDIT AGAIN: OK. Fixed. :-) Sorry about that.
PROJECTS
linny

Post by linny »

I can’t DPL but had some tome to PL your section for you.

One small note for section 35. The edited by piece should only be in the second half of the intro. It’s currently in both.

As for last section first. I dont know about group projects but I know some soloists start with the last chapter first.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

linny wrote: July 13th, 2018, 8:32 am I can’t DPL but had some tome to PL your section for you.

One small note for section 35. The edited by piece should only be in the second half of the intro. It’s currently in both.

As for last section first. I dont know about group projects but I know some soloists start with the last chapter first.
Thanks Linny. :-) I made that slight correction, so everything should be PL OK now.
PROJECTS
dwgore

Post by dwgore »

... my apologies - forgot to include a preferred name. I'll use "DavidG" if I may.

One-minute test checked out OK.

Thanks!
DavidG