[COMPLETE] The Book Of Enoch Translated by R.H. Charles - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gibhere2

Post by gibhere2 »

The Book Of Enoch . Translated by Robert Henry Charles (1885 - 1931)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-book-of-enoch/
The Book of Enoch, written during the second century B.C.E., is one of the most important non-canonical apocryphal works, and probably had a huge influence on early Christian, particularly Gnostic, beliefs. Filled with hallucinatory visions of heaven and hell, angels and devils, Enoch introduced concepts such as fallen angels, the appearance of a Messiah, Resurrection, a Final Judgement, and a Heavenly Kingdom on Earth. Interspersed with this material are quasi-scientific digressions on calendrical systems, geography, cosmology, astronomy, and meteorology.

This etext has been prepared specially for sacred-texts, and is a great improvement over other versions on the Internet, with the introduction, correct verse numbering, page numbers from the 1917 edition, and intact critical apparatus. ( Sacred Text)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/index.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Book Of Enoch. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Book Of Enoch. Translated by Robert Henry Charles. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Book Of Enoch, Translated by Robert Henry Charles. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Book Of Enoch. Translated by Robert Henry Charles"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename bookofenoch_##_charles_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. bookofenoch_01_charles_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Kind Regards!
CJ

My Librivox Contributions
gibhere2

Post by gibhere2 »

Several of the chapters are pretty short so I have separated the chapters into "sections" and here is how it seems manageable to me. The Introduction is a bit long and could be in 2 parts if recommended (I go back and forth). I am about 1/2 way through another project so there is no hurry. I just know this is the next in line for projects I want to work on and thought I could get a jump start.

SECTION 1 ~ Introduction 6,723 Words
SECTION 2 ~ Chapters 1-11 (2,935 Words)
SECTION 3 ~ Chapters 12- 19 (2,372 Words)
SECTION 4 ~ Chapters 20-25 (3,050 Words)
SECTION 5 ~ Chapters 26-36 (2,298 Words)
SECTION 6 ~ Chapters 37-44 (2,138 Words)
SECTION 7 ~ Chapters 45-59 (3,454 Words)
SECTION 8 ~ Chapters 60-64 (2,711 Words)
SECTION 9 ~ Chapters 65-71 (3,092 Words)
SECTION 10 ~ Chapters 72-75 (2,519 Words)
SECTION 11 ~ Chapters 76-82 (3,022 Words)
SECTION 12 ~ Chapters 83-88 (1,508 Words)
SECTION 13 ~ Chapters 89 (3,014 Words)
SECTION 14 ~ Chapters 90 (1,626 Words)
SECTION 15 ~ Chapters 90-97 (2,502 Words)
SECTION 16 ~ Chapters 98-105 (3,272 Words)
SECTION 17 ~ Chapters 106-108 (1,507 Words)
Kind Regards!
CJ

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

- I changed "chapter" for "section" in the intro/outro for you.

- Since there's no definitive author, you can just say, "The book of Enoch, translated by..." in the intros.

- Before cataloging, we'll need a PD intro/summary. Sacred Texts copyrights the book descriptions on its site. (Even though the text itself is PD, someone had to write the intro.)

Umm, I think that's all I wanted to mention. :) If you decide to split the intro, you can use the "Add Section" button in the Magic Window, then drag it up and drop it in the spot you want it. (It adds sections at the bottom.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I can DPL this for you if you like. I see that you are asking for word perfect, which I can do. Do you intend to include verse numbers where they occur in the text?
Tom Penn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added you in, Tom, but am going to wait for confirmation from our reader. :)

CJ - I see you put the text links in the section title field. That's OK for now, but before cataloging you'll need to remove the formatting/links. We can only have plain text in there at cataloging time. (Or you can move those links over to the Notes field. That's one of its purposes.) ;)
gibhere2

Post by gibhere2 »

Penumbra wrote: July 8th, 2018, 11:03 am I can DPL this for you if you like. I see that you are asking for word perfect, which I can do. Do you intend to include verse numbers where they occur in the text?
Thank you for offering to DPL Tom! I do not intend to include the verse numbers or the footnotes. The text also includes (when available) the Ethiopian version and the Greek version. I will be staying with the Ethiopian version. That will make more sense when you actually see the text.

Tricia, I fixed the MW links. Thanks for getting rid of that extra section.

I have another project to finish up before I get into this one full swing. But having it set up and ready to go will be good motivation for finishing up the other quickly.

Thank you both!
Kind Regards!
CJ

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great! Moving this to Going Solo. :)
gibhere2

Post by gibhere2 »

Sections 1 - 5 are ready for PL.

Since I am hoping for word perfect on this one, I edited and listened following the text before uploading. Can't guarantee I didn't miss anything but hopefully should be pretty close and hopefully not too many errors in the reading.

I do use noise gate to clean up the breath sounds and unfortunately, I sometimes clip off the TH, SSS, and FFF sounds at the end of words. I think I fixed all of those as well but please, if there is even a small thing clipped off that is noticeable to you, don't feel like it is insignificant, I would prefer to fix it. Be picky!

Section 01 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bookofenoch_01_charles_128kb.mp3
Time 45:56.31 / 89.5 dB

Section 02 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bookofenoch_02_charles_128kb.mp3
Time 16:4 / 89.5 dB

Section 03 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bookofenoch_03_charles_128kb.mp3
Time 14:35 / 89.5 dB

Section 04 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bookofenoch_04_charles_128kb.mp3
Time 8:28 / 89.5 dB

Section 05 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bookofenoch_05_charles_128kb.mp3
Time 7:34 / 89.5 dB
Kind Regards!
CJ

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

OK, this will be interesting. I'll go for picky, with the understanding that you are in charge and welcome to ignore any of my suggestions.

First problem: I can't seem to download section 02. I get a file not found error. I was able to get the other sections without any problem. Perhaps you could re-upload section 02, please?
Tom Penn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

TriciaG wrote: August 4th, 2018, 1:34 pm I found these two files in the uploader:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/awip_bookofenoch_02_charles_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/awip_bookofenoch_03_charles_128kb.mp3

Is that section 2 the one you want?
Yes, thank you!
Tom Penn
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

CJ:
I listening to section 01 I am hearing occasional popping sounds (eg at 01:29.64, and 02:54.115). Do you want me to report those? Some are pretty faint, others more obvious. The good news is they can be removed either with a high pass filter or by simply cutting them out--no re-recording necessary. The bad news is it is a bit tedious.
Tom Penn
gibhere2

Post by gibhere2 »

Penumbra wrote: August 4th, 2018, 1:53 pm
TriciaG wrote: August 4th, 2018, 1:34 pm I found these two files in the uploader:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/awip_bookofenoch_02_charles_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/awip_bookofenoch_03_charles_128kb.mp3

Is that section 2 the one you want?
Yes, thank you!
No. Sorry about that. I must have uploaded my awip (a work in progress) files. You should have the real ones now:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bookofenoch_02_charles_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/bookofenoch_03_charles_128kb.mp3

Please feel free to delete the /awip_... files.
Kind Regards!
CJ

gibhere2

Post by gibhere2 »

Penumbra wrote: August 4th, 2018, 2:05 pm CJ:
I listening to section 01 I am hearing occasional popping sounds (eg at 01:29.64, and 02:54.115). Do you want me to report those? Some are pretty faint, others more obvious. The good news is they can be removed either with a high pass filter or by simply cutting them out--no re-recording necessary. The bad news is it is a bit tedious.
If you don't mind being that particular, I would appreciate catching as many as we can. I don't mind the tedious so long as what we end up with is good quality. I proof listened using my standard headphones and not the same ones I usually record and proof with. Sounds like maybe I shouldn't do that in the future. I have already fixed the two you mentioned but I will hold on the upload until we are ready for spot pl on that one.

Sorry about section 02. It should be legitimately ready to download now. I uploaded my working file instead of the final.

Thanks!
Kind Regards!
CJ

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I have finished listening to section 1 and have "a few" remarks. But first I want to say that you have read this beautifully. I have gritted my teeth through long PLs in the past, but this one was a pleasure to listen to. I look forward to the rest of the book.

And now the bad news. I know the list looks daunting, but half of the items are pops that sound to me like air blowing across the microphone (i.e. plosives). In the following list, when I say "pop", that's what I'm talking about.
Those items marked "abrupt ending" are (I think) early cutoffs you mentioned associated with the noise gate effect. There are a small number of deviations from the text, and I offer a few suggestions of my own that you are more than welcome to completely ignore.

00:44.5 pop
01:29.6 pop
02:43.4 pop
02:45.0 pop
02:54.1 pop
03:04 pop
03:27.6 pop
04:37.2 abrupt ending
04:39.1 abrupt ending
04:56.5 I heard “is most wholly” and expected “is almost wholly”
05:06.4 I heard “message” and expected “reference”
05:11.5 “circa 200 B.C.-A.D. 100” elsewhere in the section when a date range is expressed with a dash as it is here, you say “to" or “through”. Here you don’t say anything for the dash, which I find a little confusing
05:17.3 abrupt ending
05:48.5 pop
05:53.2 pop
07:25.9 pop
08:48.6 pop
09:07.5 “and by number” the transition from “by” to “number” is peculiar
09:08.3 pop
09:11.9 pop
09:52.3 pop
09:59.4 abrupt ending
10:03.9 pop
10:35.8 abrupt ending
10:41.7 abrupt ending
10:47.3 pop
11:02.6 abrupt ending
11:03.3 I expected “in this” but it sounds more like “in these”
14:40.7 abrupt ending (and a pop just before the end)
14:43.5 pop
15:08.0 I heard “the dreams” (plural) and expected “the dream” (singular)
15:21:0 abrupt ending
17:00.7 abrupt ending
17:07.6 pop
18:22.0 “is made up (viz.” elsewhere you say “viz”, here you omit it.
18:25.9 I heard “the dreams” (plural) and expected “the dream” (singular)
21:11.5 pop
22:57.5 “6 ff” I usually read “ff” as “and following”
23:18.1 through 23:18.5 a couple of pops
23:33.5 pop
23:48.3 I heard “and 106 1 through 8” and expected “and 106 1 through 18”
24:26.8 I heard “from the semitic” and expected “from a semitic”
24:28.5 pop
27:14.2 pop
27:37.2 pop
28:43.5 pop
29:11.5 abrupt ending
30:12.7 pop
30:55.5 in “are also” the word “are” seems truncated
32:32.3 I heard “42” and expected “57”
32:52.9 pop
34:24.4 I heard “and the wind” (singular) and expected “and the winds” (plural)
34:56.6 pop
35:31.0 “of the year” sounds a little garbled
36:07.1 I heard “the dreams slash vision” and expected “dream” (singular). Also in this and the next paragraph sometimes you say slash, sometimes dash, and sometimes nothing for the dash.
37:49.4 “xcii.-cv.; xci. x-10, 18, 19 also belong here” I suggest you consider inserting “verses” between “x” and “10” since it isn’t obvious when listening to the string of numbers what is chapter and what is verse.
38:21.9 pop
38:42.1 pop
39:15.9 pop
39:45.1 pop
50:04.6 pop
50:04.9 abrupt ending
40:50.2 pop
40:56.4 abrupt ending
41:04.5 pop
45:06.3 pop
45:15.7 pop
45:30.7 pop