[Complete] Outa Karel’s Stories: South African Folk-Lore Tales by Sanni Metelerkamp - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Outa Karel’s Stories: South African Folk-Lore Tales by Sanni Metelerkamp (1867 - 1945).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/outa-karels-stories-south-african-folk-lore-tales-by-sanni-metelerkamp/

Sanni Metelerkamp was a South African playwright and author born in 1867. She is well known for her biography of her great-grandfather, George Rex, the British born entrepreneur who founded the town of Knysna and was rumoured to have been an illegitimate son of King George III.
Possibly her greatest legacy however is the publication of a collection of folk tales which in her own words "… are the common property of every country child in South Africa." By the time she published "Outa Karel’s Stories: South African Folk-Lore Tales" in 1914, South Africa had come through a time of great turmoil. There had been years of conflict between the Boer settlers, the Zulus and the British. The arrival of peoples from all over the world seeking gold and diamonds together with the advent of the railroads, was opening up the country and changing society. Sanni was afraid that many of the old traditions and stories would be lost and so set down these few for posterity.
She also stated " I greatly regret that (the stories) appear here in what is, to them, a foreign tongue. No one who has not heard them in the Taal - that quaint, expressive language of the people - can have any idea of what they lose through translation, but, having been written in the first instance for English publications, the original medium was out of the question." However, even The Taal (which in South Africa refers to Afrikaans) would not have been the language from whence these tales originated. They came from the oral traditions of the indigenous peoples of South Africa .
The storyteller is Outa Karel, an old family retainer and though they are told here in English, there are several words and expressions in the "Taal". There is however an excellent Glossary at the beginning of the book which is read as a separate file for reference.
( Noel Badrian)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/outakarelsstorie00meterich
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Sanni Metelerkamp) : n/a
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1914
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales;

Keywords that describe the book: South Africa, animal stories, folk lore

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Outa Karel’s Stories: South African Folk-Lore Tales. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Outa Karel’s Stories: South African Folk-Lore Tales, by Sanni Metelerkamp. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Outa Karel’s Stories by Sanni Metelerkamp. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Outa Karel’s Stories: South African Folk-Lore Tales, by Sanni Metelerkamp. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename outakarelsstories_##_metelerkamp_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. outakarelsstories_01_metelerkamp_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Sanni Metelerkamp
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Outa Karel’s Stories: South African Folk-Lore Tales

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by NoelBadrian on July 7th, 2018, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi,
Lynnet has agreed to MC and Lynda to DPL
Thanks to both :9:
Noel

Edit:
I have shortened the file name and also the Intro for the ".. second and all subsequent sections ..". I hope that is OK.
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set. Let me know if you want anything else.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi Lynnet,
Thanks for that. :oops: I seem to have miss-counted and needed to add another section but do not know how to fill in the "Reader" box in the MW.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

NoelBadrian wrote: July 6th, 2018, 2:04 pm Hi Lynnet,
Thanks for that. :oops: I seem to have miss-counted and needed to add another section but do not know how to fill in the "Reader" box in the MW.
Noel
I've done it for you. In future, click on the 'assign reader sections' tab. for sections, type the sections (1, 2, 3 or 1-3 works); for the reader column, it's more troublesome. It's a drop-down menu with every LV reader on it. Sometimes it lets you type in several letters, thus reducing your choices to 2 or 3, but more often you have to delete letters until you are left with the first... so you get all readers with, say, 'a' in their name :roll: Then you scroll down to find the right name and click on it. Then hit 'add'.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Thanks Lynnet.
I had to load Section 1 a couple of times - sorry!
So, The Glossary and Chapter 1 (Sections 00 & 01) are ready for PL
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

We'll stay in the launch pad until Lynda is on board.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Thanks,
Sounds good to me :thumbs:
Noel
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hello again Lynda,
I realised that I mis-pronounced "skraal windje" in the Glossary and Section 1 -- :oops: -- corrected now and reloaded.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Noel-

Sorry for the delay!

I had a mishap with my laptop and it is waiting to be repaired. I figured out how to Pl on my tabet instead!

Both 00 and 01 are PL excellent as usual! All those words in the glossary - my goodness! Great job!

Lynda
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Going Solo.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

ThanksLynnet.

Wow Lynda, that is great! I do everything on the desk-top - I'm not sure that I could do any of this on a lap-top even, never mind working on a Tablet :roll:
Hope you are all back in action now and to test it here is Chapter 2, which is the first proper story...
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Noel -

Chapter 2 is PL OK

Just curious - you sometimes add a few connecting works like "and" or "the" - do you want me to point them out to you? I think they do not hurt the story so I did not write them down but I did notice 3 of them when listening to this Chapter.

Lynda
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi Lynda,
Sorry, I thought that I had replied to this but it was when LV was down for a bit and it must have escaped :hmm:
Anyhow I had said that I would be pleased if you did point out those discrepansies as some of them did actually alter the sense of the sentences a little. I did some corrections so I am afraid it may need re-PL.
Also... Ch 3 is now ready for PL as well.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Not a problem Noel!

Happy to re-PL Section 2 for you and to note them in the future!

I will also do Section 3 :)

Lynda