[COMPLETE]Jim of the Hills - A Story in Rhyme, by C. J. Dennis - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Jim of the Hills - A Story in Rhyme, by C. J. Dennis (1876 - 1938).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/jim-of-the-hills-a-story-in-rhyme-by-c-j-dennis/
Jim, an axe-man for a sawmill in the Australian Bush, who is a hard-knuckled, two-fisted fighting man when he has to be, but is shy around women, longs to find a wife and settle down. Two women, one a mercenary widow of the country town, the other a classy city girl, both set their caps for Jim. Will true love triumph? Will Jim's dog ever get his dinner? Will Jim ever get his tongue untied? These and other questions are answered in this story in rhyme. (Summary by Son of the Exiles)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/cu31924013248525#page/n0/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Jim of the Hills - A Story in Rhyme. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Jim of the Hills - A Story in Rhyme, by C. J. Dennis. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Jim of the Hills - A Story in Rhyme by C. J. Dennis. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Jim of the Hills - A Story in Rhyme, by C. J. Dennis. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename jimofthehills_##_dennis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. jimofthehills_01_dennis_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty, in her capacity as "Honorary Sheila", has consented to be the MC and PL for this projected.

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 1:31 am Kitty, in her capacity as "Honorary Sheila", has consented to be the MC and PL for this projected.
:lol: I hope I can live up to my honorary title.

I'll open an MW for you now... stay tuned !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

there you go, you can start filling in the MW. I only abbreviated the file name a bit, it's long enough as it is ;)

Looking forward to tongue-tied Jim :mrgreen:

And since we are all ready, let's move over to Going Solo immediately. No use hanging about here for too long.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

First four sections posted.

Don't feel you need to PL them all straightaway, Sonia, I liable won't be recording more for some days. My Saturday next recording session, I'm scheduled for the dentist.

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: July 6th, 2018, 10:43 pm First four sections posted.
Don't feel you need to PL them all straightaway, Sonia, I liable won't be recording more for some days.
I had time now and binge-listened to your Australian bloke-poem :mrgreen: It already started great with this axe swinging melodiously. You got into rhythm there and I thought you'd break out into song any moment. :thumbs:

Jim is the typical hunk of course, but I was surprised he won the fight...hearing you talk before I thought Ben would be the mean winner. But this was actually totally blokey-matey and they're all chums again at the end. I hope the widow will never find out that Jim doesn't have the hots for her at all :lol:

All 4 sections PL ok. Great start !

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Section 5 - The Vision has been submitted.

Jim is sort of the anti-particle to Doreen's Bill, savoir-faire wise.

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: July 14th, 2018, 9:28 pm Section 5 - The Vision has been submitted.
Jim is sort of the anti-particle to Doreen's Bill, savoir-faire wise.
:lol: yes so true, he is the typical tongue-tied hunk around beautiful women. I guess this trick works on the vision though and there will be a happy-ending to the story. ;)

btw I love his world-wise dog :mrgreen:

flawless chapter again, totally PL ok. Looking forward to the next :)

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Section 6 - Old Bob Blair.

Jim visits the Luuurve Doctor. :lol:

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

nice job again and totally PL ok. :thumbs: I liked Bob Blair, he seems to be a man of sound mind. Maybe reading wouldn't be so bad for Jim ;) In any case, the one thing he shouldn't do is agreeing to join this strike, if he thinks personally that the boss and wages were fair. In the end he would be punished as the "leader" even though it was another one's idea. Not fair to let him carry the can. He should rethink his "friends".

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"Hurray!" she says, an then, "Encore!"
An' gets me wonderin' what for."
:lol:

Section 7 - "The Wooer".
Duration: 7:41
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/jimofthehills_07_dennis_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: August 4th, 2018, 10:34 pm "Hurray!" she says, an then, "Encore!"
An' gets me wonderin' what for."
:lol:
:lol: ah the famous line has appeared ! Jim's final sentence was so adorable. Of course, Nell roped him in and not the other way around. :mrgreen: So will it be straightforward towards happy end from now on or will he make more blunders ?

This section is PL ok.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Section 8 - "Red Robin" completed and submitted.

Who but C. J. Dennis would think to compare the widow's attempted seduction of Jim to a championship boxing match? :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/jimofthehills_08_dennis_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: indeed, this tea-session was quite daunting for poor Jim. And I hope his yarn of losing all his money is not his doom with the Vision. If the widow runs around town and sets the rumours out, Jim's love may not be interested in him anymore either. I think he should have been honest with the widow and not choose this wriggly way out.

PL ok again

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Okay, here's where the "Story in Rhyme" takes a decidedly more serious turn for several sections. :?

Section 9 - "Murray's Ride" and Section 10 - "The Reaper in the Bush" completed.

I gave the narrative everything I had.

Chris