[COMPLETE] [PLAY] An Ideal Husband, Oscar Wilde - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Thanks Rob, that's useful to know for the future. I was only reciting the name each time as Beth asked me to!

I wasn't able to find any general instructions for narrators anywhere, and if anyone has time it might be useful to put up some short guidance for new narrators on the wiki.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

I can't speak for Beth but perhaps it was just a case of crossed wires. I had similar problems when I first started BCing plays (the plays I BC are usually Jacobean, so the stage directions are often in the margin and it's not obvious when they should be said). A unified set of rules might be useful, although different BCs like to do things differently, and sometimes plays call for different approaches: I tend to prefer all stage directions to be read, but with a Wilde play it makes sense to omit some because he uses so many!
Rob Marland reader section | website
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

The point is that it is easier for everyone if you record too much and it needs to be cut, rather than coming back to you and asking for another word here, and a name there. Also, the sound levels and quality tend to be much more difficult to make even.

So you've done it exactly right - even if some of it ends up on the cutting room floor! That's just part of the process!

Thanks Rob, my files are top of my recording list as soon as I get home and this project will be ready for editing!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Here's Lady Chiltern Acts 1 & 2 - Rob, if you could PL as you edit, that's probably going to be the easiest way. I think it should all be there, plus a kiss noise at the end of Act 1, just in case you want it! In Act 2 you might need to just check the volume at the beginning - on average the volume is OK but as Lady Chiltern becomes upset towards the end of the Act, the file is louder at the end and quieter at the start.

Also, I've saved the unprocessed files in case of needing any additions - if you find any clanging examples of the Aussie accent slipping through (I tried to round it out as much as I could) just let me know and I'll do my best to alter it to a more stiff upper lip plummy British sound!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_ladychiltern_1.mp3 (7:09)
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_ladychiltern_2.mp3 (7:52)

Acts 1 & 2 are now Ready to Edit! :9:

EDIT: Act 3 is also ready to edit, as Lady Chiltern doesn't appear in Act 3 at all! Weird - the scene which I always assumed was in Act 3 is actually in Act 4 - this will be a long one and requires some editing so I hope to upload it tomorrow.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Great! I can get started on this over the weekend.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Here is act 3 for PL.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/idealhusbandv2_3_wilde_128kb.mp3 43:05

I have edited acts 1 and 2 as well, but I noticed a couple of missing lines. Let's hold fire on asking Michael for the additions until I have edited act 4, and then all the lines can be uploaded in a new file (this is easier for me -- and probably Michael -- than editing the lines into the original files).

Act 1
missing narrator:
"to duchess of maryborough"
"moves away"
"rises hastily and takes his arm"

Act 2
missing Lady Chiltern
"Oh, I hope Mrs Cheveley will stay here a little. I should like to have a few minutes' conversation with her."

missing narrator:
"takes up his hat and cane"
"Mrs Cheveley: with a bitter laugh"
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Rob! I'll PL this today!

Do you want the missing Lady Chiltern line in a separate file, or shall I just put it into the Act 4 file? I'll record it in the Act 4 file but I can upload it separately if that's easier.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Elizabby wrote: January 20th, 2019, 1:31 pm Thanks Rob! I'll PL this today!

Do you want the missing Lady Chiltern line in a separate file, or shall I just put it into the Act 4 file? I'll record it in the Act 4 file but I can upload it separately if that's easier.
Either way is fine by me, thanks. I mentioned the new file because it's actually less convenient for me if you put the line into its proper place in the act 2 file, and it would probably take you longer too, so a new file or in the act 4 file is fine.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Lady Chiltern Act 4 - with missing line from Act 2 at the start.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_ladychiltern_4.mp3

I've also made a few "tears paper" sound effects and a "kiss" sound effect at the relevant time points - feel free to use or not. I was finished with that car insurance bill anyway. ;)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Act 3 is PL OK! All the voices are so well suited to the roles! I love the sound of you and Alan together as father and son, and Mrs Cheveley sounds appropriately smooth and evil! I think it helps having a British accent in the narrator as well, to add to the atmosphere! :9:

EDIT: I'll start working on the Cast List now, so that I don't forget it (like I did last time...)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Cast List completed and added to the Catalogue Summary (which has also been amended).
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Act 4 is ready for PL now https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/idealhusbandv2_4_wilde_128kb.mp3 37.27
(I've left it uploading, so give it a minute if you arrive right away)

And this also means Michael can be asked for his fixes to Acts 1 and 2. :thumbs:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Can't download it - gave it some time and tried twice. You may need to reupload.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 12:26 am Can't download it - gave it some time and tried twice. You may need to reupload.
the file is uploaded to my folder, not Todd's that's why the link didn't work, here is the correct one:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusbandv2_4_wilde_128kb.mp3

I noticed Act 3 was uploaded to Todd's folder. I will transfer it to my folder this evening.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Oops, sorry, team! I was working on multiple projects last night and must have opened the uploader from the first page of another thread.