[COMPLETE] [PLAY] An Ideal Husband, Oscar Wilde - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 3:21 am Oops, sorry, team! I was working on multiple projects last night and must have opened the uploader from the first page of another thread.
don't worry, such things can happen. And it's quite normal everybody would automatically think that Todd is the MC for a drama play :lol:

Beth: I transfered Act 3 back to my folder if you wish to check the link once more in the MW to see if all went well. :)

Sonia
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi Rob, I'm away this week but should be able to pick up these narrator points next Monday evening if that's OK.
RobMarland wrote: January 20th, 2019, 9:13 am Act 1
missing narrator:
"to duchess of maryborough"
"moves away"
"rises hastily and takes his arm"

Act 2
missing narrator:
"takes up his hat and cane"
"Mrs Cheveley: with a bitter laugh"
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Act 4 is PL OK! I liked the use of the paper tearing sound! :thumbs:
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Elizabby wrote: January 24th, 2019, 5:31 am Act 4 is PL OK! I liked the use of the paper tearing sound! :thumbs:
Yes, it worked out OK. I left out the kiss sound because other characters kissed too and not everyone made the sound.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

So, it has been mentioned in another thread that some editors would like to be mentioned either in the Cast List or in the outro of the final act/chapter. Rob, if you want this I'm happy to include it - we just need to let Michael know to record it, or you can record it and add it yourself.

Personally, I think it would fit better if read by the narrator at the end of the final Act. In this case it would say "End of An Ideal Husband, by Oscar Wilde. Recorded by Librivox volunteers in 2018. Audio edited by Rob Marland."

If you would prefer it to go into the end of the Cast List, I would be OK with that too - that would fit better if you planned to read it yourself rather than have Michael say it.

Thoughts?
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Elizabby wrote: January 24th, 2019, 5:48 am So, it has been mentioned in another thread that some editors would like to be mentioned either in the Cast List or in the outro of the final act/chapter. Rob, if you want this I'm happy to include it - we just need to let Michael know to record it, or you can record it and add it yourself.
I was going to leave it because I didn't find the discussion about credit to be very productive. On reflection, I think an ideal situation would be if LV had a way of listing the editor alongside the MC, BC, and DPL in the catalogue (although ideally the names would link to projects for which the person performed that role, rather than just their reader page). The system we have at present of crediting the editor at the bottom of the catalogued cast list is OK though, and I see you've already done that so thanks. As for credit at the end of the recording, I do think that could be good but it would probably only make sense if the BC were to be credited there in the same way, because both BC and editor put a lot of time into making the project a reality.

I don't really have an appetite for changing LV policies, though, and am happy to stick with the current system.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

RobMarland wrote: January 24th, 2019, 6:20 am On reflection, I think an ideal situation would be if LV had a way of listing the editor alongside the MC, BC, and DPL in the catalogue (although ideally the names would link to projects for which the person performed that role, rather than just their reader page).
I agree, but I understand that this would be a tricky change to make, as I don't think it is possible to use a different template for Dramatic Works than from every other project, and for most it isn't relevant.
As for credit at the end of the recording, I do think that could be good but it would probably only make sense if the BC were to be credited there in the same way, because both BC and editor put a lot of time into making the project a reality.
Oh, as the BC I don't feel strongly about this - the BC gets a credit on the catalogue page already. Actually, I'll be on there twice, as both BC and DPL, though the other option which I sometimes use is to put the editor into the DPL slot (since I usually DPL my own projects). So I don't need an audio credit, but I'm happy for you to have one! :thumbs:

I also don't think consistency across the whole of Librivox is either possible or desirable - I'm happy to do what seems right for my own projects without feeling the need for major policy change for everyone else!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Rob: when I record on Monday I'll also record "End of An Ideal Husband, by Oscar Wilde. Recorded by Librivox volunteers in 2018. Audio edited by Rob Marland." Then you can use it or not, just as you wish.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, team :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I read up on the discussion on editors' credits and the general consensus among the team is:

> the editors should get credit in written form in the summary, probably at the end of the casting list, as we have always done, and not in audio form at the end of the play

> the BCs, DPLs and MCs get their credit in the official template

> the voice actors speak their voice credits at the beginning of the first act, so listeners know what they will sound like

> the covermakers put their name on the cover if they wish

This way everybody is included in some way or other and no one is left out.

Thank you for understanding.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Can I ask that we just stop talking about the credits? Because I stopped reading the thread I started the other day and don’t really want to think about it anymore. Ta.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

The missing narrator sentences are now uploaded as

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_missing_narrator.mp3

Michael
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Michael, I will let Rob pick up the file from here rather than put it in the MW.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Sounds good, thanks. I’ll finish up on Friday, then.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

RobMarland wrote: January 20th, 2019, 9:13 am ...
Act 1
missing narrator:
"to duchess of maryborough"
Odd. I recorded this as requested, and can see where it appears in the stage directions, but the name appears nowhere else, and there is no-one of that name in the cast list. Maybe this is an oddity with the Gutenberg version, as if you do a Google search for "Maryborough Ideal Husband" you'll see that there is indeed such a character in many stage versions.

Michael