COMPLETE: By What Authority? by Robert Hugh Benson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Hello. Thanks for all the help with the listening. I just uploaded Sections 40 and 41. I also went back to section 19 and attempted to fix the volume. What I did was normalize it on Audacity. I wanted to check with you before I try to fix the volume on all the other sections that need it. Did that normalizing fix the problem with the volume?

Thanks
Carol
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Since Linny gave you the volumes, I'd say that amplifying would be better than normalizing.

Normalize: Raise/lower the volume so that the highest peak in the recording is at X (specified number) dB below maximum. If you have one big spike, it'll skew the results.
Amplify: Raise/lower the volume by a specified amount.

So for example, on section 19, the volume is now 85.2 dB. We aim for 89, so amplify it 4 dB (or as much as you can without allowing clipping, if you cannot get it all the way up to 4 dB).

Make sense?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There's a plugin for Audacity that will tell you how much to amplify your recordings.
- Click THIS LINK and save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere.
- Then go to the folder in which Audacity is installed (on my computer, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity) and open the Plug-Ins folder.
- Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
- Start up Audacity and go to Analyze/Manage.
- Find ReplayGain in the list and enable it.
- Now you can highlight your recording, then go to Effects / ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file.
linny

Post by linny »

Tricia,
I keep meaning to try that plug in. Thanks for the link. :thumbs:

I usually just compress then amplify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKYYj6HMZU
linny

Post by linny »

Carol,
I downloaded the last two chapters. Now that it's Monday I'll be PLing slower but I should get you finished by the weekend.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

linny wrote: September 17th, 2018, 5:03 am Tricia,
I keep meaning to try that plug in. Thanks for the link. :thumbs:

I usually just compress then amplify. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKYYj6HMZU
Yes, but one still has to measure the volume to know how much to amplify. :) You (I assume) use Checker; I like the plugin because I don't have to export to MP3 first.

And sometimes files don't need to be compressed. *shrug*
linny

Post by linny »

Plug in sounds awesome! I will certainly be giving it a try. Thanks again. :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

I see section 19 was toggled for ready for spot check. The volume is the same as the original: 85.2dB. Amplify by 4 or at least 1. In Audacity I could amplify by 1.369 without allowing clipping. If you want it closer to the 89dB then try lowering the area around 7-10 minutes. Then you should be able to get the full amplification (or close to it).
NobelActual

Post by NobelActual »

Hi my name is Michael. LibriVox id NobelActual. I noticed that you had quite a few sections which need to be proofed. I was hoping to help you with that if you would like.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks for the offer, Michael. Linny has taken the DPL role. :)
linny

Post by linny »

Section 34 is PL OK.

Section 35 has low volume at 85.3dB. Reading is PL OK.

Section 36 has low volume at 82.9dB. Reading is PL OK.

Section 37 is PL OK.

Section 38 is PL OK.

Three more to go but I will need to wait until tomorrow night to PL them. I can tell you that the volume on section 40 is low @ 84.9dB.
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Thanks for the advice about volume. I will try out the suggestions as soon as I can. It may be next week. This week I am enjoying a visit with my son who I do not get to see very often.
linny

Post by linny »

That sounds wonderful! Enjoy your visit. :9:
linny

Post by linny »

Section 39 is PL OK.

Section 40 has low volume at 84.9dB.

Section 41 is PL ok but take a listen to 12:05 and 12:19 and make sure you are ok with leaving the sniffles in.

You did a wonderful job with your solo. :9:
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Linny, thanks for listening to all these hours of recordings, and especially for your helpful suggestions. And to TriciaG also. I have been trying to fix the volume using replay gain. I hope it is sounding better. I also fixed the stumbles and repeats that you found. I still have a few more chapters to take care of. I marked the ones I fixed as needing to be proof-listened. Should I have marked them as needing a spot check?