[COMPLETE] Witching Hill by E. W. Hornung - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

41:58-42:05 delete repeat, "It is a...."
clifford

Post by clifford »

Thanks for catching that, Craig. I've fixed chap. vi so it should be all right.

Nick
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6 PL OK.
clifford

Post by clifford »

Chapter 7 is now up. I'm not quite sure what methylated spirits are, but I should find out. They sound useful.

Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's ethanol (alcohol) with additives to make it non-drinkable so you can still use it as a solvent and light it . I've heard it called "denatured alcohol".
I think its methyl alcohol they add (hence methylated spirits) and the term methos for the bottom level of down and outs. :D

Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7 PL OK.
clifford

Post by clifford »

Chapter 8 -- the last -- is now up. I rather liked the book and the series of stories. I might hunt around for something more by Hornung, since I have a taste for mysteries.

Nick
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

8 PL OK. Finished!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Great - I'll start the ball rolling then

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done - thanks Nicholas and Dave, I've enjoyed all The Hornung I've listened to - we have now 11, 2 the same which makes 10 and 1 about WW1 non-fiction which makes 9 - there are more on PG but I'm not sure which are mysteries and which aren't

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/witching-hill-by-e-w-hornung/

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

Anne and Dave,

Many thanks again to both of you, I'm most grateful and I'm now going to start hunting for what else I can find from Hornung.
Nick
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've downloaded it and enjoyed the book - thanks Nicholas .

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

I've posted a form for E.W. Hornung's Peccavi. I've read a couple of chapters -- both short -- but am not quite sure yet where the book is going. The opening sounds in fact a bit more like Thomas Hardy in one of his gloomy moodes than our previous novel. The funeral of a girl who died in childbirth -- unmarried? who was her seducer? The local rector, a C of E priest whose Roman leanings disturb some is his rural Anglican congregation. That's all I know at the moment, though I peeked ahead and I think a love story develops beside these grim beginnings.

Anne, I put you down again as MC, but if you've better things to do, please feel free to ignore it.
And Dave, if you'd like to join, that would be splendid too.

Nick

Peccavi of course means "I have sinned" in Latin. Back in my college days I heard of a prof teaching the history of the British empire, who told the story of a British military commander (in the great 1857 Indian rebellion I think, who on taking an important town, sent back a telegram to HQ reading only "Peccavi," confident that his superiors would know enough Latin to understand his meaning: "I have Sindh." Unfortunately I later learned that the story was apocryphal, or in today's world, Fake News.