COMPLETE Human Nature and Conduct Part 1, by John Dewey - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_04_dewey_128kb.mp3 33:36

Minus Gremlin artifacts and more moderate tempo.

This completes the full set of:
The book's introduction
and the 6 Sections of Part 1
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you Bill. I look forward to listening during the week now that you've gotten them all de-gremlined to your satisfaction.

A chapter a day will be my goal, and I sure hope no more scurry to the surface when you aren't looking! Gremlins be gone!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 2 is PL OK.
Tempo is good. No gremlins detected.
My favorite line: "What's next?"
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 3 is PL OK. No gremlins detected.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 6:31 am Section 3 is PL OK. No gremlins detected.
I like this Gremlin-Free PLing.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 9:17 am
Who doesn't. :D
It helps when the reader PL's their own work carefully before submitting. Hopefully more of that is coming my way.

Only 3 chapters to go, then a cover to design for you. Any ideas? Say you're a graphic artist. Want to design your own cover? I'll show you how.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 9:35 am
williamjones wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 9:17 am
Who doesn't. :D
It helps when the reader PL's their own work carefully before submitting. Hopefully more of that is coming my way.

Only 3 chapters to go, then a cover to design for you. Any ideas? Say you're a graphic artist. Want to design your own cover? I'll show you how.
It would be foolish of me to suggest that I could do as well as an LV Cover Design Pro like you. I did think about a concept once, tho. A vague image of a large funnel out of the bottom of which were colored shapes representing ACTS and piling into the top of which are multiple colored shapes labeled "habit", "Custom", "Disposition", "Dramatic Rehearsal" (which appears only in Parts 2 and 3), etc. so as to represent Dewey's concept that many habits are live and actionable all the time and they modify each other while producing an ACT. That's just figment of my imagination.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 9:58 am That's just figment of my imagination.
Indeed it is! Alas, I don't do cover art from scratch, just cobble together what I find in the PD done by real artists. :roll: But we could use a photo if you'd like to throw some blocks into a funnel at home.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 4 is PL OK.
Very nicely read, Bill, and so much work. But I hardly understood a jot of what he was talking about! The individual words I understood, but the way he wove them together, each with a host of modifiers and exceptions, is confusing. My linguistic training makes me wonder how big a page it would take to actually diagram one of his sentences? Follow his train of thought. This is very complicated material to read, and you do it well. It sounds like you understand it perfectly, and I presume with your degree in Philosophy, you do.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 4th, 2018, 9:56 am Section 4 is PL OK.
Very nicely read, Bill, and so much work. But I hardly understood a jot of what he was talking about! The individual words I understood, but the way he wove them together, each with a host of modifiers and exceptions, is confusing. My linguistic training makes me wonder how big a page it would take to actually diagram one of his sentences? Follow his train of thought. This is very complicated material to read, and you do it well. It sounds like you understand it perfectly, and I presume with your degree in Philosophy, you do.
I've had the experience of having had THREE university courses which included discussions of this book - Intro to Phil., Ethics and Pragmatism. AND, I've been exposed to Henry James, and Charles Sanders Peirce. So, I darn well better know SOMETHING about Dewey! I think I do. Reading Dewey falls into this scenario: You're sitting on a rock watching him carry bricks, one by one and setting them in neat piles. Every day you see this. You know he's up to something. Then one morning you arrive at your rock and VOILA! There's a 3-bedroom, 2-bath open floor-plan family home where there was just a bunch of bricks the night before. This reminds me of Plato -- except Plato's dialogues have a lot more human drama in them.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Pile of bricks. Got it. As of this moment, I don't see a building but that's not your fault, and Section 5 is PL OK. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 6 is PL OK! And this project is almost ready for cataloguing. I still don't see a building, but I did see a promise that there would be one in future Parts. :D

Bill, please take a last look at the summary and keywords before we catalog and let us know you are satisfied. I'm working on the cover today and you could be published by tomorrow! Your first solo. Something to be proud of and celebrated. Your keywords should include Dewey, John, John Dewey
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: July 8th, 2018, 9:43 am Section 6 is PL OK! And this project is almost ready for cataloguing. I still don't see a building, but I did see a promise that there would be one in future Parts. :D

Bill, please take a last look at the summary and keywords before we catalog and let us know you are satisfied. I'm working on the cover today and you could be published by tomorrow! Your first solo. Something to be proud of and celebrated. Your keywords should include Dewey, John, John Dewey
Just sent you a slightly reduced Summary. Go with it, please.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Here is an amended Summary for Human Nature and Conduct Part 1 of 4:

John Dewey, an early 20th Century American philosopher, psychologist, educational theorist saw Social Psychology as much a physical science (with rules and predictive power) as Biology and Chemistry. This project encompasses Part 1 of 4 of his book Human Nature and Conduct.

Dewey's uses the word "HABIT" as a specialized catch-all word to describe how a person and his/her objective environment interact. This interaction is the basis for moral judgement. Dewey writes: "All habits are demands for certain kinds of activity; and they constitute the self.” In other places he also asserts that "Habits are Will." ~ Summary by William Jones, Soloist
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Bill, congrats on your first solo! :clap: :clap: Well done!

Shall I start the cataloguing process?
would you like to give me a few keywords?