COMPLETE Human Nature and Conduct Part 1, by John Dewey - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 1

8:42 Both are right, except in the wholesale character of their recriminations. you say circumstances.
10:53 rustic and suburbanite, and is missing
15:45 it comes before cultivation of plants. plants is missing

Nicely read.
Essentially, what I think Dewey is saying is pretty much what Maria Montessori's work was about (she did read Dewey :) ) -- creating a "prepared environment" for children to learn in, one that harnesses the child's natural curiosity and desire to touch things as the means of shaping their habits and interest in learning. That was exactly my line of work for 30 years! Of course, he is speaking of society as the adult classroom, but the principle is the same.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 9:45 am PL Notes Section 1

8:42 Both are right, except in the wholesale character of their recriminations. you say circumstances.
10:53 rustic and suburbanite, and is missing
15:45 it comes before cultivation of plants. plants is missing

Nicely read.
Essentially, what I think Dewey is saying is pretty much what Maria Montessori's work was about (she did read Dewey :) ) -- creating a "prepared environment" for children to learn in, one that harnesses the child's natural curiosity and desire to touch things as the means of shaping their habits and interest in learning. That was exactly my line of work for 30 years! Of course, he is speaking of society as the adult classroom, but the principle is the same.
Uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_01_dewey_128kb.mp3 15.27 KB
with your 3 PL-noted corrections made.

Right at this moment I am going to go back and proof listen to Part 1 Section 2 AGAIN for the 3rd time. My goal is to deliver files with zero errors.

Dewey's philosophy of progressive education does, in fact, stress hands-on learning -- at every level !
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 1 was spot checked at the designated spots and is PL OK. :thumbs:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_02_dewey_128kb.mp3 33.46 KB

with a handful of correction to minor flaws inserted by shameless gremlins. Should be error-free.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Bill. I'll try to listen today, probably by this evening. Do keep in mind, perfection is not required by LV nor probably attainable so don't be too hard on yourself. I guess it all depends on how you define "minor flaws". My guide to PL'ing is whether the error is "significant enough to change the author's meaning" . . . . . but I am much harder than that on myself. :roll:
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded a corrected

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_03_dewey_128kb.mp3 25.16 KB

Those darned gremlins replaced one single sentence starting with "Habit and will can be seen as ..." with one starting "The red wheelbarrow was full of bones." Those little scamps!! :lol:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_04_dewey_128kb.mp3 31.62 KB

which had been cleverly corrupted in a couple of places by those darned Chinese gremlins.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded (still again)
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_02_dewey_128kb.mp3 34.14 KB

I am chagrined that I have corrected/modified this file three times now; but, i am glad that my PL Person, MsFry, is taking the time to help me end up with a better product.

I very, very much appreciate that she is willing to perform the Quality Assurance task and prevent me from shaming myself with my own mistakes. I go too fast, too often and little mistakes creep in.

As an example: in this Section (02) I had used the Change Tempo effect at +6. She noted that the effect was to make my delivery like that of a machine gun. Definitely what I wanted! So, thanks to her advice, this current version of the file was modified with a -2 Tempo change.

Thanks again, Michele!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Please note the run time of the file, not the file size, when you post an upload. This information needs to go into the MW.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_02_dewey_128kb.mp3 34.14 KB

You are pretty new at this, Bill, and taking on a solo of such difficult material, so soon, is huge. Laying down track, editing out extraneous material, learning Audacity's tricks and setting up Keystrokes, playing with Effects -- all take time and practice. I had a wonderful coach, and now I am happy to coach you. And I did very much the same as you -- tackling Jules Verne's unabridged Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea as my first solo, not counting a simple little book called Memories of Childhood's Slavery Days, run time under 2 hours, which I finished in a week, that my mentor Phil suggested I cut my teeth on. By contrast, Leagues run time is almost 17 hours, and with all those scientific terms, took me 6 months to complete! I had a patient and wonderful DPL, too, who stuck with me to the end and helped keep my spirits up.

So you didn't realize you could both raise and lower tempo using the + and - symbols? Something so obvious to me, I didn't even think to tell you. Ah well, now you know. And this applies to Amplify, Bass, and most other Effects. They adjust up and down. FYI, I tend to read too fast, then after I've edited my piece, I generally adjust Tempo down -2. Sometimes I'll slow a short segment down as much as -6, and once or twice I've corrected a word slur using -12. It stretches the wave form out just right. Tempo = Great Effect!

I presume this means you are ready for me to PL Section 2? They say 3rd time's a charm. Let's hope so.

And I won't PL any other of those sections you have uploaded earlier until you're sure they are your final version.
Take your time.
I will get back to you soon on 02.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded a hopefully final version of

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_05_dewey_128kb.mp3 16.57 KB

However, if any faux pas are found: SEND 'EM ON! Please.

This version erases a couple of Gremliln footprints and dials back the Change Tempo amount.
Because I've reading seemingly a ka-jillion times, it sounds very good to me. But, I'll trust the judgement of my PL.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 28th, 2018, 11:01 am Please note the run time of the file, not the file size, when you post an upload. This information needs to go into the MW.

You are pretty new at this, Bill, and taking on a solo of such difficult material, so soon, is huge. Laying down track, editing out extraneous material, learning Audacity's tricks and setting up Keystrokes, playing with Effects -- all take time and practice. I had a wonderful coach, and now I am happy to coach you. And I did very much the same as you -- tackling Jules Verne's unabridged Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea as my first solo, not counting a simple little book called Memories of Childhood's Slavery Days, run time under 2 hours, which I finished in a week, that my mentor Phil suggested I cut my teeth on. By contrast, Leagues run time is almost 17 hours, and with all those scientific terms, took me 6 months to complete! I had a patient and wonderful DPL, too, who stuck with me to the end and helped keep my spirits up.

So you didn't realize you could both raise and lower tempo using the + and - symbols? Something so obvious to me, I didn't even think to tell you. Ah well, now you know. And this applies to Amplify, Bass, and most other Effects. They adjust up and down. FYI, I tend to read too fast, then after I've edited my piece, I generally adjust Tempo down -2. Sometimes I'll slow a short segment down as much as -6, and once or twice I've corrected a word slur using -12. It stretches the wave form out just right. Tempo = Great Effect!

I presume this means you are ready for me to PL Section 2? They say 3rd time's a charm. Let's hope so.

And I won't PL any other of those sections you have uploaded earlier until you're sure they are your final version.
Take your time.
I will get back to you soon on 02.
Yep -- 02 is ready, Freddy!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: June 28th, 2018, 12:43 pm Uploaded, new and immeasurably improved

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_06_dewey_128kb.mp3 7.46 KB
Please include each uploaded file's running time. Don't need the file size (KB).
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: June 28th, 2018, 1:25 pm
williamjones wrote: June 28th, 2018, 12:43 pm Uploaded, new and immeasurably improved

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct1_06_dewey_128kb.mp3 7.46 KB
Please include each uploaded file's running time. Don't need the file size (KB).
Sorry.
On the original uploads I did include the running time.
The running times of the subsequent versions do not differ more than a couple of seconds.
00 - 24:28
01 - 16:17
02 - 36:24
03 - 26:49
04 - 33:43
05 - 17:40
06 - 07:57
Hope this helps
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison