[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1849-1856 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
garybclayton

Post by garybclayton »

Section 13 is ready for review.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1849_1856_13_various_128kb.mp3

32.2 MB
35:13 minutes

These 100+ word sentences can really tie me up. I'm looking forward to see what you find on this one, linny!

Gary
linny

Post by linny »

Gary,
I'm sorry for the delay. I'll get this PLed for you today.
linny

Post by linny »

Gary,
Welcome to the world of President Pierce and run on sentences. :mrgreen: I would like to tell you that it's unusual for him but it seems to be his nature. You did a great job with section 13. Thank you for your efforts.

There were a few minor word changes:

1:14 - It is matter of congratulation that the Republic is tranquilly advancing in a career of prosperity and peace.
I hear public

8:44 - The British Government passes over the question of the rights of Great Britain, real or supposed, in Central America, and assumes that she had such rights at the date of the treaty and that those rights comprehended the protectorship of the Mosquito Indians, the extended jurisdiction and limits of the Balize, and the colony of the Bay Islands, and thereupon proceeds by implication to infer that if the stipulations of the treaty be merely future in effect Great Britain may still continue to hold the contested portions of Central America.
I hear rates

12:40 - In pursuance of this policy, the laws of the United States do not forbid their citizens to sell to either of the belligerent powers articles contraband of war or take munitions of war or soldiers on board their private ships for transportation; and although in so doing the individual citizen exposes his property or person to some of the hazards of war, his acts do not involve any breach of national neutrality nor of themselves implicate the Government.
I hear musicians

24:20 I have declined, in behalf of the United States, to accept this invitation, for the most cogent reasons.
I hear regions
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
garybclayton

Post by garybclayton »

Section 13 Take 2 is ready for review!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1849_1856_13_various_.mp3

32.2MB 35:13 minutes

Full sentence corrections, beginning at roughly:
1:14 It is matter of congratulation that the Republic is tranquilly advancing in a career of prosperity and peace.

8:34 The British Government passes over the question of the rights of Great Britain, real or supposed, in Central America,
and assumes that she had such rights at the date of the treaty and that those rights comprehended the protectorship of the Mosquito Indians,
the extended jurisdiction and limits of the Balize, and the colony of the Bay Islands,
and thereupon proceeds by implication to infer that if the stipulations of the treaty be merely future in effect
Great Britain may still continue to hold the contested portions of Central America.

12:28 In pursuance of this policy,
the laws of the United States do not forbid their citizens to sell to either of the belligerent powers
articles contraband of war or take munitions of war or soldiers on board their private ships for transportation;
and although in so doing the individual citizen exposes his property or person to some of the hazards of war,
his acts do not involve any breach of national neutrality nor of themselves implicate the Government.

24:14 I have declined, in behalf of the United States, to accept this invitation, for the most cogent reasons.
linny

Post by linny »

Gary,
Section 13 is spot check PL OK. On this upload you forgot the ending 128kb in the file name. I'll mark it in the MW so Lynne knows which file to fix before cataloging.
garybclayton

Post by garybclayton »

Ah, linny, rats! No 128kb suffix? My attention to detail must be slipping. Thanks for letting me know. I need to adjust that on the file on my laptop for my own recordkeeping.

Anyway, I chose to do Franklin Pierce because his sentences were so long and sometimes convoluted. Figured it would force me to grow my skills.
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: August 14th, 2018, 3:21 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1849_1856_15_various_128kb.mp3

[41:01]

Seriously, what year is this?
Wow! That's shocking especially considering it was 160 years ago. :shock:

Ending silence is at 2.5 seconds which is a little short. Some players might cut you off.
realisticspeakers

linny wrote: August 15th, 2018, 1:57 pm
realisticspeakers wrote: August 14th, 2018, 3:21 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1849_1856_15_various_128kb.mp3

[41:01]

Seriously, what year is this?
Wow! That's shocking especially considering it was 160 years ago. :shock:

Ending silence is at 2.5 seconds which is a little short. Some players might cut you off.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1849_1856_15_various_128kb.mp3

[41:04]
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

Gary,
Don't stress about the file name. It happens from time to time. I don't like for Lynne to have much extra stuff to do when cataloging. I'll always point it out whenever I see it.

I'm glad you are enjoying Pierce. He certainly makes you think about the text and determining when to place extra pauses.
linny

Post by linny »

Well that was fast! Section 15 is spot check PL OK. Thank you. :D
garybclayton

Post by garybclayton »

realisticspeakers

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1849_1856_16_various_128kb.mp3

[39:28]

While parsing the syntax and flow, I could not help but reminisce about Madison.

Pierce's reading level comes in 3rd below our beloved author of the Constitution, with a score of 20, more than a point and a half lower.

Van Buren was second.
Disclaimer:
linny

Post by linny »

Gary,
Great job! PL OK. Nice introduction of the constitutional crisis to come in 1861.
linny

Post by linny »

I'll get the next project launched tonight or tomorrow. Due to duration I had to move it around some so this next one is limited to 1857-1860.