[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1849-1856 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Madison certainly was memorable! How was Buchanan? He is next up.

Section 16 is PL OK. :D
linny

Post by linny »

Lynne,
Do you know what happened to our project grouping? https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced This link used to list all of the projects.

A group page seems to have been made https://librivox.org/group/607?primary_key=607&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results Unfortunately, this page doesn't include one of the projects, 1837-1848, and the naming of the group is only until 1848. Will this naming be automatically updated when a project is finished or will the MC have to change it each time?

Needless to say I'm a bit confused. :?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

linny wrote: August 21st, 2018, 11:07 am Lynne,
Do you know what happened to our project grouping? https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced This link used to list all of the projects.

A group page seems to have been made https://librivox.org/group/607?primary_key=607&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results Unfortunately, this page doesn't include one of the projects, 1837-1848, and the naming of the group is only until 1848. Will this naming be automatically updated when a project is finished or will the MC have to change it each time?

Needless to say I'm a bit confused. :?
I will go in to the group and see what is happening... and hopefully fix it (and not make matters worse).
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Lynne! I know if anyone can figure it out, you can. :D
linny

Post by linny »

Buchanan is now available: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71460
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

linny wrote: August 21st, 2018, 11:18 am Thank you, Lynne! I know if anyone can figure it out, you can. :D
Possibly fixed :D

New projects are usually added automatically to a group (assuming there is already one set up); but they can be added manually. The problem here was that the project was named slightly differently, so the system hadn't picked it up. So far, so good... I'm familiar with all that. The new thing for me was finding the project code of a completed project that wasn't one of mine... turned out to be really easy 8-)

I also edited the title of the group to reflect the date of this project.
linny

Post by linny »

I knew you were awesome! Thanks for proving me right and getting us all fixed up. :9:
MarkErnest

Post by MarkErnest »

Sorry it took so long to get this fixed. Repairs made to intro and outro, and file run through MP3Gain to adjust levels. Let me know if this is good to go and I will start my next section
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1849_1856_12_various_128kb.mp3

Best,
Mark
linny

Post by linny »

Mark,
Section 12 is spot check PL OK. I do hope you will look at adjusting your input levels instead of relying exclusively on adjusting the amplification.
MarkErnest

Post by MarkErnest »

linny

Post by linny »

Mark,
Great job!

Two small corrections are needed for this section.

34:01 word change - I again commend to your favorable regard the interests of the District of Columbia, and deem it only necessary to remind you that although its inhabitants have no voice in the choice of Representatives in Congress, they are not the less entitled to a just and liberal consideration in your legislation.
I hear literal

35:03 missing word - It is deeply to be regretted that in several instances officers of the Government, in attempting to execute the law for the return of fugitives from labor, have been openly resisted and their efforts frustrated and defeated by lawless and violent mobs; that in one case such resistance resulted in the death of an estimable citizen, and in others serious injury ensued to those officers and to individuals who were using their endeavors to sustain the laws. Prosecutions have been instituted against the alleged offenders so far as they could be identified, and are still pending.
MarkErnest

Post by MarkErnest »

MarkErnest

Post by MarkErnest »

Section 7. Duration 31:22
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion_07_various_128kb.mp3

There are several places in this section, and in the next, where there are apparently significant typographical errors or omissions in the text. As is written the text makes no sense, and so I recorded those as seemed to be correct from context. However, if you require that I be 100% faithful to the text as written, I will happily re-record those sections. In this section, the points in question incluide:

@ 5:39 (approx), the text reads: "This feeling has interfered with the regular commercial intercourse between the United States and the island and led to some acts of which we have a fight to complain." Fight does not seem to makes sense here, so I read that as right.

@ 6:28 the text reads: "In the meantime the refusal of the Captain-General to allow passengers and the mail to be landed in certain cases, for a reason which does not furnish". It sounded to me like the work he, meaning the Captain-General, was omitted, so I read it as I thought it was intended.

@11:56 the text reads: "In compliance with this invitation, our minister at Rio Janeiro and our at Buenos Ayres", which here sounds as if the word minister was omitted before "at Buenos Ayres".

I want to say that there was yet another odd wording in this section that I half-noticed while reading, then couldn't find again later. If you notice something else that should be modified, if you want me to read the above as written, and of course if you find mistakes I made, I will alter as necessary.
MarkErnest

Post by MarkErnest »

Section 8. Duration 29:27
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion_08_various_128kb.mp3

@ 25:23 the text read, "But whatever may be the cause of this unparalleled growth in population, intelligence, and wealth, one tiring is clear". Tiring makes no logical sense in this context, so I read that as thing.
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Mark,
Thank you for correcting the text. :thumbs:

Section 8 PL notes:
0:28 – Section title - Millard Fillmore, December 6th, 1852, part 2
I hear section 8

29:12 End of section 8
I hear 7
The correction is at the end of the file. When you correct, please ensure you leave 5 seconds of ending silence.