[COMPLETE] The Lust of Hate by Guy Newell Boothby - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

SOLO The Lust of Hate by Guy Newell Boothby (1867 - 1905)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-lust-of-hate-by-guy-boothby/
This is the third Dr Nikola book in a series of five written by Guy Boothby. The main character is Gilbert Pennethorne a man whom "Lady luck" has deserted. A number of commercial failures, estrangement from his family, unsuccessful gold prospecting in Australia and finally having the location of one of the richest undiscovered gold mines in the world stolen from him by a man whom he classifies as his worst enemy. This tips him over the edge of normal reason, such that his desire for revenge is all consuming.

This gives Dr Nikola, ever the master manipulator, the opportunity to utilise Pennethorne’s hatred to his financial advantage by convincing him to murder Richard Bartrand the thief of the mine (now a multi millionaire) in a devilish and bizzarre mechanical method. After the deed is done, Pennethorne, essentially a decent man, realises his serious error in being an accomplice to Nikola and flees the country en route for South Africa. Thus his adventures at sea and on land begin and his true nature is divulged. ( Peter Keeble)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lusthate00woodgoog
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: later (pk)

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Lust of Hate. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Lust of Hate, by Guy Newell Boothby. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Lust of Hate by Guy Newell Boothby. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Lust of Hate, by Guy Newell Boothby. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename lustofhate_##_boothby_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lustofhate_01_boothby_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
DAVE

Many Thanks
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Will set up the MW shortly.

Edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

I can DPL? It seems like the kind of book I would love to listen to. If someone else didn't take it already :D
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

More than happy to have you as a DPL!.

I am away on holiday for 3 weeks, so it may be a while before I kick this one off.

Regards

Peter
They tell me that you'll lose your mind as you grow older. What they don't tell you is that you won't miss it very much.

Malcom Cowley
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to the Going Solo forum.
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Guys

Should start this next week.

Peter
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Section 01 posted in MW

Peter
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The file name should have "128kb" in it (not 128kbp). When we migrate the files to Archive.org it would cause problems. Just reupload the file with the correct name and then change the link in the MW.
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Done as requested.

Peter
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Thanks, Peter.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Hi Peter,

I was wondering what text you use, or if you maybe posted an unedited version cause I listened for about 10 min and there were quite a few minor word switches? So I am just wondering what text you are following?

Hope :)
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Hope

Thank you for your comments.

You are quite right; I was using the link from the magic window which takes you to archive.org. There appeared to be a number of choices to read the book I chose the full text version which on reflection and comparing it against the archive reader it was a bad choice, there are anomalies in the print of the full text version for instance "Ben Garman" is written as "Orman" I failed to spot some of these......... Mea Culpa.

I am going through the whole chapter against the text contained in the archive reader and making alterations where necessary. If it sounds too bitty I am perfectly happy to completely redo.

Regards

Peter

Update

Too much sound variation I will re-record
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Yes, I think that will work best.

I do have bad news though, I am PLing two other books and no one was picking up the chapters, but now suddenly they are. And I am also going on a 3 week trip so as much as I hate to admit it to myself (as I do find the book interesting) I think I will have to drop the project. I simply will not be able to keep up with it. If it goes on for a bit and no one else picks it up then maybe I'll come back, but I can't be the DPL for now. :D
Hope Kuerschner

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Peter,
Let me know when you have a section that needs to be PL'ed. I will advertise for a DPL.
Dave
mrwemmick

Post by mrwemmick »

Dave

I have re-recorded and posted the Introduction 'My Chance In Life' into the MW.

Thank you for searching for a PL

Peter