[COMPLETE]The Tale of Jasper Jay by Arthur Scott Bailey - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Ok, I had to work harder at 20, but I just finished it. I think it will do -- let me know. I also discovered that, since 19, I've had my (working) project rates set to 48k rather than 44.1k, so I just set 19 back to "PL Notes" to remind myself to re-export that as 44.1k. I'll do that and get the "end" on chapter 21 tomorrow night, hopefully, and that'll wrap it up!

Oh, for 20 -- all 4 of us participated. I do still have to go back and give you this stat for 1-17 or so.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent, thank you, Michael. If Larry approves, we can wrap this up before the end of the year :9:

Larry: did you not check the sample rate with Checker ? :hmm: this should have been caught otherwise. Best run all the files through checker before I come to the cataloguing process or there will be trouble. :?

Sonia
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Most likely, all the other files are fine. I use your "Checker" app, and it does detect that. I'm pretty puzzled at how that one got through, but it may be that I just failed to use the Checker app on that file. It was probably an exception. Also, I changed my recording setup a bit at that time, and so my raw files have been coming out 44k by default. Prior to that, they were 44100. Still, if you have an easy tool for it, it's probably worth it, as you say. I'd be happy to take a share, too, if you'd like. My goal is to do the final two posts tonight! It'll be a nice Christmas present to myself. Believe me, I'm quite motivated to do more, and so are my girls; we just have to look for a change in situation to make it much easier to put into our daily/weekly rhythm, like it was the first several chapters we did for this book. Possibly by mid-summer we'll be able to do that.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jmcaine wrote: December 19th, 2020, 9:29 amMy goal is to do the final two posts tonight! It'll be a nice Christmas present to myself. Believe me, I'm quite motivated to do more, and so are my girls; we just have to look for a change in situation to make it much easier to put into our daily/weekly rhythm, like it was the first several chapters we did for this book. Possibly by mid-summer we'll be able to do that.
great, yes we can finish before Christmas if Larry has time to PL.

Yes it's good when you do such an endeavour when you have time to spend in a row. Two years dragging, like this project, may easily run out of steam all of a sudden. I'm glad you finally managed to wrap it up though.

So if you now could check all your files and tell me whether all the readers take part in which section, then I can adjust the MW accordingly. Then Larry's PLing the final sections, stay tuned for possible last minute corrections. Is the introduction text ok like that or do you want to change it ? If all this is done, I can catalogue.

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

First of all, congratulations on this charming production.

Second, my apologies for apparently missing the tech glitches.
I'm showing 21 still at the wrong bit rate, and Section 3 as well.
Section 3 is just slightly above the upper limit in volume at 92.2 but not critical.

For section 20 there is just one thing you might want to check out.

1:32 "That happened several times, until at last Jimmy Rabbit said that he couldn't wait any longer," the name "Jimmy Rabbit" is clipped and I really couldn't understand it. Up to you if you want to correct it. Other than that, the reading and specs are fine.

Everything else checks out.

So --- almost there.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Oh, yes, good catch on chapter 3 -- I'd forgotten that I did that out of order, at the same time. Fixing those will be easy. I'll try tonight, but might be more time-limited than I thought. Tomorrow night should be clear.
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Ok, I uploaded a resampled chapter 19. I can't quite tell, though, since the URL stayed the same; I'm assuming that I just overwrote the original, and all is well, but would you mind double-checking me?

Alright, I just did the same with chapter 3, but, somehow, I misplaced my chapter 3 and 21 project files, so I just converted the mp3 in-place. I think since this is a down-sample, nothing is really lost, in terms of fidelity. You can take a listen, though, again, I think I obliterated the old file, saving over it with this new rendering. So you may not have a comparison. It probably doesn't matter. Let me know, though, if you think something needs to be done differently here. My Checker put 3 at 89.3 dB. It's possible that the checker code assumes a 44.1k file, and so posted a higher dB on the 48k file, though... I'm not sure. Maybe it doesn't matter, again. :)

I still need to do the same for 21, but first I have to add that ending clause. I recorded one of my daughters doing it... I just have to edit it in. That'll have to be a tomorrow-night task.

Finally, I see a "See PL Notes" for 17... did I miss a comment about 17 somewhere?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jmcaine wrote: December 20th, 2020, 12:18 amAlright, I just did the same with chapter 3, but, somehow, I misplaced my chapter 3 and 21 project files, so I just converted the mp3 in-place. I think since this is a down-sample, nothing is really lost, in terms of fidelity. You can take a listen, though, again, I think I obliterated the old file, saving over it with this new rendering. So you may not have a comparison.
I think downloading the mp3 once to change something will not deteriorate the quality. If you did it like 50-100 times, there may be showing signs by and by but not from once or twice. I think we once had a thread where a volunteer actually went and downloaded it many many times and he reported not hearing considerable deterioration.

And as for overwriting the old file, we still have a backup for every file ever uploaded until I manually delete it in my folder which I won't do until the project it catalogued. When you reupload with the same file name, the file name for the previous file receives a time stamp and therefore is differently named and not lost.

Here are both section 3 versions, in case you want to check:

your old file: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/jasperjay_03_bailey_128kb2020_12_20_07_13_56.mp3
your new file: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/jasperjay_03_bailey_128kb.mp3

Sonia
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Ok, great... and I do have original copies myself. I only worried about doing an operation on the mp3, as opposed to working in the full-quality WAV, as I normally do. I agree, I don't think it'll be an issue... but I didn't listen through all the way to verify that outright.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Good! All is fixed unless you want to modify this:

Section 20
1:32 "That happened several times, until at last Jimmy Rabbit said that he couldn't wait any longer," the name "Jimmy Rabbit" is clipped and I really couldn't understand it. Up to you if you want to correct it. Other than that, the reading and specs are fine.

And the comment on the volume for 3 was supposed to be for Section 17. It comes out as 92.2 dB which is slightly above our usual upper limit of 90 dB. Again, not critical but worth mentioning.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Ahhhh, I see... I can easily notch 17s volume down. I'll do that tonight. I **do** also need to fix 21 -- the very end needs the final "end-of-book" phrase. That's the other thing I'll do tonight. As for that little clip-out in the audio -- that was a flaw that came in on recording. I'll see if I can read that little section again, without making it sound too different. I think I can get that done tonight, too.
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Alright, 17 and 21 are ready for review. 17 db down from 92.2 to 90.8 (iirc)... my checker says that 92 is the upper end? I wasn't sure if it was 90 or 92... I could bring it down more, but I realized, as I looked at the source file, that I'd saturated a little, so I'm reluctant to go too far. I added the "ending" that we recorded months ago, but it's longer than the quote that Larry mentioned... is this longer version still an option? I'm happy to shorten, even if we have to record a shortened. Also, I said "The End" at the end, because it said that in the source text, but I could remove that if only "End of chapter 21" is desired (which I did add, right after my "The End".
Last edited by jmcaine on December 21st, 2020, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jmcaine wrote: December 21st, 2020, 2:17 amAlright, 17 and 21 are ready for review. 17 db down from 92.2 to 90.8 (iirc)... my checker says that 92 is the upper end? I wasn't sure if it was 90 or 92...
92 is the upper limit, yes.
I added the "ending" that we recorded months ago, but it's longer than the quote that silverquill mentioned... is this longer version still an option? I'm happy to shorten, even if we have to record a shortened. Also, I said "The End" at the end, because it said that in the source text, but I could remove that if only "End of chapter 21" is desired (which I did add, right after my "The End".
the final chapter should have: End of Chapter 21. End of The Tale of Jasper Jay, by Arthur Scott Bailey." You can leave "The end" if you wish, it doesn't matter. But the rest has to be in there as well.

Ok, I let Larry do the Spot PL. Then you check out the cast list for each section and let me know who reads where. And if the blurb is ok, then all is well.

Oh we also could include a written cast list, this is usually done in dramatic readings, see here for example: https://librivox.org/the-tragedy-of-king-lear-version-3-by-william-shakespeare/

Could you give me that list as well please ? I suppose the same girl was reading the same animal all throughout ?

Sonia
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

And... I cheated on 20. Instead of re-recording, I stole (most of) the missing bit from where I'd said it elsewhere. It's cheap, but sometimes it's hard to get a good timbre match, and my mic setup isn't in the usual place. I know this was considered "optional", as a small enough imperfection to perhaps overlook. But I think this is a good improvement. See what you think. It's at about 1:32 (as you already probably know).

"Maybe" this is it. Other than the contributor lists for all chapters before about 17. I'll ask one of my girls to do that tomorrow.
jmcaine

Post by jmcaine »

Sonia: yes, I got all that in at the end of Chapter 21, but my daughter also said, "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information..." -- she actually just rattled this off from having listened to so many librivox books. :) But if that's no longer the proper ending, I think I can just cut it off after "...Arthur Scott Bailey"

Cast list: yes, for the most part, the same girl plays the same major part, but because there are more parts than there are cast members, we distributed other parts, too. I'll get you a whole list after working through with the girls tomorrow.