[COMPLETE][FULL] World's Story 3: Egypt, Africa, Arabia - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thestorygirl wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 3:42 pm How are we pronouncing 'Tappan'?
TAP-an
ta-PAN
:?:
Thanks for asking. Actually, I have heard both pronunciations already. I personally stress on the first syllable TAP-an, and I think most of the readers I so far listened to used this one, but I already heard some who rhymed it on "JaPAN" and that's fine too. I don't mind either way. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jim, here is another section for you to PL. You'll learn all about the traditions you have to stick to when you're going on a pilgrimage to Mecca.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_101_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 10:35 min.

As for the first section, I included the full title and subtitle of the series in the outro of the section, like I did in the previous two books.

Thanks !

Sonia
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Sonia:

May I claim Section 73?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Quite a dazzling performance! And of course I made sure all your pronunciations of foreign words and phrases were correct. And they were! (Ha!). And so I declare Section 101 immaculately and prodigiously PL OK! Yours, Jim :shock:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote: July 24th, 2018, 1:55 pmMay I claim Section 73?
THANK YOU !!! :9: that's so brave of you to tackle one of the longest sections in the book. And also, this makes us fully claimed for the moment, so I'll move us over to Readers Found. :D

Also thanks for your submitted sections, will PL them later on in the morning.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: July 24th, 2018, 7:22 pm Quite a dazzling performance! And of course I made sure all your pronunciations of foreign words and phrases were correct. And they were! (Ha!). And so I declare Section 101 immaculately and prodigiously PL OK! Yours, Jim :shock:
thank you Jim, as always. :9: Do you have some knowledge of Arabic ? I tried my best with the pronunciation but I wasn't sure with all the words. But in the end, it sounds good and I was hoping I wouldn't have maimed the words too much.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote: July 24th, 2018, 4:59 pmHere are the links for sections 65, 66, and 98. Their durations, respectively are: 4:43, 12:55, and 7:56.
perfect readings, all three of them :clap: All PL ok on the first go. I especially liked the Arabian justice text. This nagib was the Sherlock Holmes of that country. :lol:

Thanks again !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

No, I was kidding about checking your Arabic. I knew you had the pronunciations as close as possible being the scholar and linguist that you are. But I wasn't kidding about your rendition being dazzling. Yours, Jim :clap:
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Section 48, "Aeneas at Carthage", is uploaded. Duration 13:48, file size 13.25 MB

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_048_tappan_128kb.mp3

I hope I have the noise reduction done correctly this time. And of course all corrections gratefully accepted. Dave
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

Here at long last: Cleopatra

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_037_cleopatra_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 4:40 min.

Sandra
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlantz wrote: July 28th, 2018, 5:50 am Section 48, "Aeneas at Carthage", is uploaded. Duration 13:48, file size 13.25 MB
I hope I have the noise reduction done correctly this time. And of course all corrections gratefully accepted. Dave
wonderful poem narrative, Dave :clap: and this was a long poem :shock: great job you did on that one.

It's true that at least with my earphones I hear some background hum which disturbed me a bit. I let the noise-cleaning function in Audacity run once more over it and then the sound was much better. Did you use this function (do you have Audacity ?).

I only found two minor textual errors, but they don't really change any meaning, so this is optional if you want to Spot correct those:

> at 1:03: p. 268: "by favour of his goddess mother, Venus" - you left out "goddess", but we all know that Venus is a goddess, so this is redundant :lol:

> at 12:05: p. 276: "who, driven from out his fatherland" - forgot "driven", but it doesn't change the meaning much

I mark it PL ok and let you decide if you want to reupload.

Thank you ! And I hope I see you in the upcoming books from this series as well :9: For the moment this one is fully claimed, but you never know, there may be orphans, so stay tuned ;)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

catharmaiden wrote: July 28th, 2018, 5:52 am Here at long last: Cleopatra
:9: thank you for finishing the part before leaving for the holidays ! I loved your interpretation, and especially the final sentence, it sounds so sad and bitter. A wonderful haunting last sentence. :thumbs: The perfomance is flawless and PL ok.

Now I also finished my Narrator's part, so all we need is Larry's last role and then this can be assembled. Can't wait to hear you guys all together.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_037_sonia_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:03 min.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Repaired version of Section 34: Aeneas at Carthage. File size 13.28 MB, duration 13:47

Added the two missing words (and replaced one that I had fudged in the first submission), ran it through noise reduction twice, with the recommended parameters (I do use Audacity), and ran Checker on it. I actually prefer the original hum to the "echo" that's left, but I hope you can use it. Thanks for your patience, Kitty. I hope that, by the time you see this, you will have had a wonderful holiday. Dave