COMPLETE[PLAY]Trelawny of the Wells by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Treefairy

Post by Treefairy »

May I please claim section 1? This looks amazing!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Treefairy wrote: December 14th, 2018, 3:11 amMay I please claim section 1? This looks amazing!
this IS amazing :9: and wonderful that you will make our cast complete, Robin !!!

I see this is your first venture into drama reading, so there are a few special rules for the drama projects:

So special "rules" for drama recordings:

> no need to do an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Mr Ablett, read by Treefairy" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

> then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Mr Ablett shows only up in Act 1, so you need not necessarily read the whole play to get a feel for his character, but at least the scenes he shows up in, and especially read around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as dramatic and character-building as you can :mrgreen:

> if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [whines] or [whispers], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, to make it all more interesting :D

> and very importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have a stage direction inside your speech, like "sits down", also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because Todd, our editor extraordinaire later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

Have fun ! And if there are questions still, don't hesitate to ask. We're only waiting for a few roles to come in here, so this project may well get archived soon and you'll be able to enjoy your first LV dramatic performance officially very soon 8-)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 13th, 2018, 1:47 pmAct 4 ready for final PL.
ah the happy ending of sorts 8-) This part was even better than the last one I think. Everybody was so excited and eager throughout, the bustling beginning of a stage-play was really palpable. And everything well crafted together, Todd.

A few suggestions for the cutting-floor again:

> at 6:45: “O’Dwyer, perplexed” – can be cut out for a quicker exchange of dialogue here

> at 9:37: “Tom, to O’Dwyer” – I think it would sound better if Tom was really cutting off O’Dwyer with his “Hush” here, without the break of the narrator

> at 11:03: “Tom to O’Dwyer” – can be cut because Tom actually starts with “my dear O’Dwyer” so it’s obvious that he talks to him

> at 13:56: “Tom to her” - this is a bit superfluous and interrupting, in my opinion

> at 22:38: “excitedly” - I think the voice is excited enough :lol:

> at 22:41: “Am I to--? “ – “Here I am” – Imogen needs to interrupt quicker or the broken off sentence sounds awkward

> at 24:20: “Hush, hush! Mr. O'Dwyer!” – this is at the wrong place and needs to be cut here. You actually have it at the right place as well later on :hmm: why was this in there twice ?

> at 36:27: “They are joined by Imogen.” – this is missing, I suspect we forgot to include it in the narration, because it was poorly printed and I didn’t notice, shame on me. :oops: It’s probably negligible though. Upto you if you want Larry to re-record.

:)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: December 14th, 2018, 9:13 am
ToddHW wrote: December 13th, 2018, 1:47 pmAct 4 ready for final PL.
ah the happy ending of sorts 8-) This part was even better than the last one I think. Everybody was so excited and eager throughout, the bustling beginning of a stage-play was really palpable. And everything well crafted together, Todd.

A few suggestions for the cutting-floor again:

> at 6:45: “O’Dwyer, perplexed” – can be cut out for a quicker exchange of dialogue here

> at 9:37: “Tom, to O’Dwyer” – I think it would sound better if Tom was really cutting off O’Dwyer with his “Hush” here, without the break of the narrator

> at 11:03: “Tom to O’Dwyer” – can be cut because Tom actually starts with “my dear O’Dwyer” so it’s obvious that he talks to him

> at 13:56: “Tom to her” - this is a bit superfluous and interrupting, in my opinion

> at 22:38: “excitedly” - I think the voice is excited enough :lol:

> at 22:41: “Am I to--? “ – “Here I am” – Imogen needs to interrupt quicker or the broken off sentence sounds awkward

> at 24:20: “Hush, hush! Mr. O'Dwyer!” – this is at the wrong place and needs to be cut here. You actually have it at the right place as well later on :hmm: why was this in there twice ?

> at 36:27: “They are joined by Imogen.” – this is missing, I suspect we forgot to include it in the narration, because it was poorly printed and I didn’t notice, shame on me. :oops: It’s probably negligible though. Upto you if you want Larry to re-record.

:)

Sonia
Made all the changes. Except the last one - indeed we don't have that line recorded and I think that is just fine.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: December 14th, 2018, 9:55 am Made all the changes. Except the last one - indeed we don't have that line recorded and I think that is just fine.
good call, and totally PL ok now :)

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
~ Charles Bukowski
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Todd,

If you think any lines for Charles or de Foenix need a different delivery, please let me know :D

Capt De Foenix Act II
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trelawnyofthewells_foenix_2_128kb.mp3

Pete
~ Charles Bukowski
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 25th, 2018, 5:39 pm If you think any lines for Charles or de Foenix need a different delivery, please let me know :D
thank you Pete, for these two entertaining roles. :lol: First of all, I listened to a quote from Charles right after one from Foenix, just to see if the voices were sufficiently different to be used in the same act. Yes, I agree, the Captain's voice is much deeper than Charles and Charles has the added low-class accent, so I think there is no problem using both :thumbs:

All of Charles is already PL ok. A word of caution for your recording though: in Act 2, there is a lot of clipping. This occurs when you speak too loud or too close to the microphone. It doesn't matter here much but if it occurs too often, the voice may get distorted and the sound will not be agreeable to listen to anymore.

You are using Audacity, right ? You can see the clippings as red lines if you tick the "Show clipping" box. (it's under "View" in the upper menu bar). A good suggestion is to keep that box ticked, that way you see immediately when clippings occur, and you can maybe redo that sentence right away.

But for Charles everything was fine, no need to change anything.

Another small note: In two places you forgot to leave two seconds of silence for the stage directions, as you can see below. No need to change this now, as there is enough space to fiddle with, but it will make it easier for Todd's editing phase if the breaks are long enough ;)

> at 0:52: "An egstremely h'affable party, miss. [Hiding his face.] Ho! one of them caused me to laff!"
> at 2:17: "Hush! [To Rose.] I discovered 'em clustered in the doorway"

However I found two missing lines for Captain de Foenix, which you need to add into the correct spots:

> at about 0:36: missing "everybody" line: "Yes." (also here, leave a bit more space)

> at about 0:55: missing line "Yes, sir, Clara played a trump—the seven——"

Otherwise, Foenix was quite funny in his mumbling bumbling way :lol: Well done, Pete ! Thanks

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Sonia and thanks for the feedback!

I'll redo Act II and fix the clipping and stage directions - should have it done today.

The clipping must have happened after I increased the gain of the MP3; but it's my fault for not checking for it after I did so.

I'm very happy that the voices are sufficiently different and again, thanks for your comments; much appreciated :)

Shall upload later and hope all is OK!

Best,
Pete
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 26th, 2018, 6:27 am I'll redo Act II and fix the clipping and stage directions - should have it done today.

The clipping must have happened after I increased the gain of the MP3; but it's my fault for not checking for it after I did so.
no, no need to re-do Act 2 for Charles !!! I gave you the PL ok so it's fine. The clippings are there but they don't distort the sound, so all is well. Charles sounds all great in this act, so I don't want to risk a second version. (motto: don't fix it if it isn't broken)

The only thing you need to record are the missing lines for Foenix. No need to do unnecessary work. More time for another role in another play. :mrgreen:

Thanks

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Sonia,

Here is Capt. de Foenix Act II redo

Pete :)
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 26th, 2018, 10:01 am Here is Capt. de Foenix Act II redo
thank you, both lines are in now. But for some reason I can barely hear you without cranking it up on full blast. Your volume was correct before but now it's only 63 dB :shock: over 20 db under the required minimum. What happened ? You did not re-record it all, did you ?

No need to reupload though, I'll make a note for Todd in the MW. He will adjust volumes in the end anyway to make you all match. :) So I'll mark it PL ok now. Thanks

That means Act 2 can be fully assembled as well :9:

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

My, I've had a time with this file! I put it down to Christmas Eve drinkies. I have the file that passed Checker, so if you want me to upload it, just let me know!

Pete :)
Kitty wrote: December 26th, 2018, 11:02 am
PeterMusgrove wrote: December 26th, 2018, 10:01 am Here is Capt. de Foenix Act II redo
thank you, both lines are in now. But for some reason I can barely hear you without cranking it up on full blast. Your volume was correct before but now it's only 63 dB :shock: over 20 db under the required minimum. What happened ? You did not re-record it all, did you ?

No need to reupload though, I'll make a note for Todd in the MW. He will adjust volumes in the end anyway to make you all match. :) So I'll mark it PL ok now. Thanks

That means Act 2 can be fully assembled as well :9:

Sonia
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: December 26th, 2018, 1:31 pmMy, I've had a time with this file! I put it down to Christmas Eve drinkies. I have the file that passed Checker, so if you want me to upload it, just let me know!
no unless you did any other changes than these two sentences, it's fine. Amplifiying the file is no big deal and I made a note in the MW.

Thanks

Sonia