[Complete] History of the Jews in Russia and Poland, Vol 1 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sskim

Post by sskim »

History of the Jews in Russia and Poland, Volume 1 [of 3] From the Beginning until the Death of Alexander I (1825) by Simon Dubnow (1860 - 1941). Translated by Israel Friedlaender (1876 - 1920)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/history-of-the-jews-in-russia-and-poland-volume-1-of-3-from-the-beginning-until-the-death-of-alexander-i-1825-by-simon-dubnow/

Simon Dubnow was born in 1860 to a poor Jewish family in Belarussian town of Mstsislaw and later became authority of Jewish history and an activist. Due to his Jewish origin, he had to move to St.Petersburg, Odessa, Vilna(Lithuania), St.Petersburg(2nd time), Kaunas(Lithuania), Berlin and finally Riga(Latvia) after Hitler came to power. When Nazi troops occupied Latvia 1941, he was moved with thousands of other Jews to Riga ghetto and was eventually killed. His life is a symbol of Jewish suffering in Eastern Europe in the first half of 20 century. This book is one of the most extensive and thorough study of the glory and suffering of the Jews in Russia and Poland for 2000 years. ( S. S. Kim)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41547
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Simon Dubnow) : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 24
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1916
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: jewish history in russia and poland

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Section [number] of History of the Jews in Russia and Poland, Volume 1 From the Beginning until the Death of Alexander I (1825). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "History of the Jews in Russia and Poland, Volume 1 [of 3] From the Beginning until the Death of Alexander I (1825), by Simon Dubnow. Translated by Israel Friedlaender (1876 - 1920) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of History of the Jews in Russia and Poland, Volume 1 From the Beginning until the Death of Alexander I (1825) by Simon Dubnow. Translated by Israel Friedlaender. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Section]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of History of the Jews in Russia and Poland, Volume 1 [of 3] From the Beginning until the Death of Alexander I (1825), by Simon Dubnow. Translated by Israel Friedlaender (1876 - 1920)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename jewsinrussiaandpoland1_##_dubnow_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. jewsinrussiaandpoland1)_01_dubnow_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Simon Dubnow
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: History of the Jews in Russia and Poland, Volume 1 [of 3] From the Beginning until the Death of Alexander I (1825)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by sskim on May 21st, 2018, 11:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set. I have significantly shortened the file name to a more manageable length. I'm also advertising for a DPL for you. If you need anything else, please ask. Have fun.
sskim

Post by sskim »

Hi Lynnet,

Thank you very much. The file name looks good and I will work on the MW.
I hope a DPL shows up soon. I am ready.

Thanks,

SS
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

sskim wrote: May 20th, 2018, 6:38 am Hi Lynnet,

Thank you very much. The file name looks good and I will work on the MW.
I hope a DPL shows up soon. I am ready.

Thanks,

SS
You can get started before a DPL signs on. Just enter everything in the MW and it will be there when someone is able to listen.
sskim

Post by sskim »

Got it. Section 1 is now up.
linny

Post by linny »

Hello SS,
I can't DPL, but I had a little bit of free time so I PLed section 1 for you. PL OK! :thumbs:

The subsequent chapter intro will certainly be helpful for this project. Goodness that's a long intro.

Be careful with the file names. I don't think we can have capitals. No need to upload it again. Lynne can change it prior to cataloging but keep it in mind so she has less to do. :wink:

At the end of the recording, you say End of section 1 instead of End of chapter 1, part 1. You might want to update the initial post so your DPL knows to listen for section and can help make sure you stay consistent.

Enjoy your project.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thanks Linny.
Marked PL OK.
I have changed the file name. Linny is correct: it must be all lower case. Don't worry... many of us mess up on that, especially when it is a proper name we usually capitalize. I can correct it, but it becomes time consuming if I have to do it to several files.
sskim

Post by sskim »

Oooops! I now noticed the file name. I also realised that I can revise the initial post. ‘End of chapter’ is replaced by ‘end of section’. Quite happy that I am now consistent. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thanks Linny and Lynnet.

SS
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

SS:

Hello again. I'd be interested in DPL-ing this, if you're still looking for someone.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
sskim

Post by sskim »

Hi Philip,

Absolutely! I am delighted.

Thanks,

SS
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Philip added as DPL.
Moved to Going Solo.
RWColquitt

Post by RWColquitt »

Greetings Sir SS Kim
Thank you for taking on this task which yields history of this nation of people struggling between traditional Judaism and the first-century church.

When I first began to listen, I had to reduce the volume due to your rich booming voice. Then, you settled into a comfortable volume as you traversed the challenging terrain of the passages of this printed history. I am glad to take this course with you; for on my own, I could not have fared as well. Thank you.

I am new to the forum and may not have the experience to be a PL or DPL. However, I would like to go further with you on this journey.

~RWColquitt
sskim

Post by sskim »

Hello RWColquitt,

Thanks for your interest. Though I just started reading the book, I am already fascinated with the story and the writing style. A very well written book. The fact that author was killed by Nazis made this book more compelling. I don't have much experience at LV. This book is only my second complete recording, but I am doing it anyway in my own clumsy way. Thanks again for sharing interest.

SS
sskim

Post by sskim »

Hi,

Section 2 is now up. File name is in lower case and intro is shorter and almost bearable.
There was a jewish kingdom in southern Russia. That's mind blowing.

Thanks,

SS