COMPLETE : Hemlock Avenue Mystery by Roman Doubleday -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: May 30th, 2018, 6:56 amYou are so thorough, and I do appreciate all the work you put into a project. Good catches, both. :thumbs:
thanks, Roger, I also like your thoroughness :9: We're quite symbiotic in that respect.

The chapter is totally PL ok now. Both errors nicely corrected.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 3 has been posted, ready for PL.

:hmm:

Thanks! :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wohoooo this was an excellent chapter. I love court procedurals, so I'm thrilled there was such a chapter in the book. Lawrence is in a precarious situation now. But I think somebody framed him. We need to find the person who took the cane from the library. I expect that was Fullerton himself and then the murderer took the cane and used it to kill him.

A big mystery is the coat turned inside out, I wonder why ? :hmm: There was not much time to dress up the body after killing the man.

For the moment, I am still in the dark...

2 notes for your consideration here:

> at 1:22: “The significant testimony, as it was sifted out, was as follows” – you say “stifled”, which I think does not make as much sense in this sentence

> at 16:24: "No. I was farther from her than Lyon was." – you say “farther down her” – picturing this position of Lawrence, it sounds a bit unusual in the circumstance, to put it mildly, don't you think ;) (was this a case of Freudian slip ?)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Good catches, both.

Chapter 3 has been patched and re-uploaded, ready for a spot check.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: June 5th, 2018, 7:05 am Chapter 3 has been patched and re-uploaded, ready for a spot check.
thank you, Roger, excellent patches again and PL ok now :)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 4, uploaded, posted, and ready for scrutiny.

Some interesting dialog. How might it all fit in? 8-)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: June 9th, 2018, 11:36 amChapter 4, uploaded, posted, and ready for scrutiny.
Some interesting dialog. How might it all fit in? 8-)
oh-ho ! a talkative grandfather is the reporter's best friend :lol: Now these are interesting developments. So Edith has had a good reason to kill Fullerton herself. I bet he was blackmailing her with some secret or other.

So now we have two suspects. I still have a hunch there will be more as the chapters progress. Fullerton doesn't seem to be a much-liked person.

PL ok again. Great job, Roger :thumbs:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 5, uploaded and posted.

The mystery is thickening, the list of suspects .... well, you'll see. :mrgreen:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Roger,

finally had some time to listen to this interesting chapter. Sorry, the weekend was a bit fully booked out for me this week. :? Lots of work outside in the garden.
Roger wrote: June 15th, 2018, 8:37 amChapter 5, uploaded and posted.
The mystery is thickening, the list of suspects .... well, you'll see. :mrgreen:
ok indeed :shock: what a coincidence that Lyons pushed the only loose panel in the whole fence :lol: But yes, now everybody could have escaped by that route. Though it must have been someone who was aware of that panel in a private backyard. For me that still doesn't dis-incriminate Miss Wolcott. It would be too much of a convenient coincidence.

But the plot is still interesting, so that's a good thing.

I found two small things to note this time, the first is probably negligible but the second may be worth changing:

> at 4:54: "He inquired if you were in town,--said he had expected you to call Monday night, but supposed perhaps you had not done so, because you knew Miss Wolcott was to be out." - you say "supposedly". I'm not sure if it really changed much of the meaning, although the perspective may be a bit different. I guess this is optional.

> at 9:04: “though on that theory it was hard to understand Lawrence's amazement when his cane had been produced at the inquest.” - you say "case", but the Lawrence's cane was such a crucial item in the inquest that maybe it should be mentioned here

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks for finding these errors, Sonia. :thumbs:

Chapter 5 has been patched and re-uploaded, ready for spot PL.

Thanks!! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: June 19th, 2018, 9:51 am Chapter 5 has been patched and re-uploaded, ready for spot PL.
and excellently edited again, PL ok

thank :)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Then by all means, let us move along to chapter 6 - which has been posted, and is now ready for a listen.

Enjoy, and thanks !! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah, a new and much more likely suspect shows up ! Mrs Broughton. Now this interview will be interesting. I bet she is a cold and calculating woman. :mrgreen:

I wonder what the schoolmistress would say if she knew that anybody can intrude on her girls' morning exercices in the yard through that loose board in the fence :lol: Maybe Lyon should have given her a hint of warning. ;)

Chapter 6 PL ok :thumbs:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 7, uploaded and posted, ready for a listen.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I don't really like Mrs Broughton. I don't believe her story at all. At the least although she doesn't admit it, she has seen the corpse and maybe even the murderer. And maybe she isn't as fragile as she pretends... :hmm:

And now Lyon is being stalked...by who ? Mysteries over mysteries.

The chapter is PL ok. Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks
Sonia