COMPLETE : Hemlock Avenue Mystery by Roman Doubleday -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

The Hemlock Avenue Mystery by Lily A. Long (writing as Roman Doubleday) (1862 - 1927).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on the catalog page.

https://librivox.org/the-hemlock-avenue-mystery-by-lily-a-long/
A lawyer is accused of killing a rival lawyer, both having battled in court on numerous occasions. A newspaper reporter following the case is bent on determining the facts behind the murder. As it happens, there are two women also suspected of participating in the crime, and a third who was apparently utterly unconscious of what had occurred. It's up to the reporter turned detective to unravel the clues, few as they are. ( Roger Melin)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56780
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Detective, Mystery

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Hemlock Avenue Mystery. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Hemlock Avenue Mystery, by Roman Doubleday. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Hemlock Avenue Mystery by Roman Doubleday. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Hemlock Avenue Mystery, by Roman Doubleday. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename hemlockavenuemystery_##_doubleday_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. hemlockavenuemystery_01_doubleday_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Roman Doubleday
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Hemlock Avenue Mystery

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Roger. Need an MC? If so, I can set this up for you.
Jo
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Jo !
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Roger, do you need a DPL ? :) I would love to hear another mystery narrated by you :9:

I would also have offered to MC, but Jo was faster :lol:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sonia - your offer as DPL is most graciously accepted ! :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay, still remembering the Ravenspurs fondily. I hope this mystery is not giving away all the clues immediately either. You know that I love to play detective as well. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Jo - for the record, it appears that Roman Doubleday was a pseudonym used by Lily Augusta Long (same birth/death years). I don't know if that makes a difference to you when you get around to catalog time, just thought I'd mention it.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks for the for info on the author, Roger. We usually use the real name as the main author name and then add the pseudonym. The only exception to this would be if the author only wrote under a single pseudonym and never published anything under their own name. In that case we can consider doing it the other way around. I'll take a look at this and enter the author in the database accordingly. MW will be available shortly.

ETA: Lily A. Long was already in the database. She published poetry under her real name. I've added Roman Doubleday as a pseudonym. The catalog page will show Lily A. Long as the author. You can add a note to the summary that this book was written by her under the pseudonym of Roman Doubleday.
Jo
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Jo. I will just state my opinion on pseudonyms: I believe the book should be delivered in audio format just as it was delivered in printed format. (I ran across this issue at least once before).
There. I said my piece. :D
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, I agree. In the recording you can say by Roman Doubleday if that is what you mean, but in our author database we use one entry per author. Here is her author page.

https://librivox.org/author/13129

Searching the catalog by either Lily A. Long or Roman Doubleday links to this same page.
Jo
Roger

Post by Roger »

Let us get this project under way, shall we?

Welcome back Sonia! I hope you had a fantastic time!! :D

Chapter 1 has been uploaded and posted. (During upload I searched for an MC by the name of "yyyy" but couldn't find one....) :lol: (Just kidding around, Jo)

Thanks! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hey Roger :D

So it's about to start :9: And yes, thank you, I had a great time in Southern France. A bit too hot for my taste but I won't complain. We were lucky it didn't rain.

So now looking forward to plunge into the Hemlock mystery. 3 people in the first chapter: Lyon, the young reporter, Fullerton, a lawyer without scruples it seems, and Lawrence, another lawyer with a hot temper. Where will it all lead ? So far we don't have many clues as to a story yet. But I suspect either Fullerton or Lawrence will die soon. My money is on Fullerton and Lawrence gets blamed for it. But it could go either way to make for an interesting story.

I'll wait patiently for the next chapter. :)

Oh, almost forgot: no errors at all, the first chapter is totally PL ok. :thumbs: Great start !

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 2 is now ready for a listen.

Let this bit of action sink in. Got it figured out yet? :mrgreen:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: May 29th, 2018, 11:26 am Chapter 2 is now ready for a listen.
Let this bit of action sink in. Got it figured out yet? :mrgreen:
:lol: not yet, though I must say, Lawrence is making himself look so guilty by trying to talk to Lyon about what to write and what to leave out. He would have looked less conspicuous if he had not tried to meddle.

I am inclined to think that neither Lawrence nor the girl really were the murderers, simply because that would be TOO easy and I seriously hope that the book is not that much of a let-down. So there must be some twist in the action coming along soon. ;)

excellent narration again, Roger :thumbs:

here are two PL notes, one of them is probably negligible, but the other I think would be worth changing:

> at 6:55: “Lyon, watchful professionally for all details” – you say, “watching”, which I guess is close enough to the meaning. But I know you want me to point everything out, so you can decide for yourself

> at 8:11: “deemed it his duty to report at once to the office” – here however you say “officer” which is a change of meaning, as Lyon is not goint to report to some policeman but to his newspaper office

thanks. I'm really glad I took the job here, this story is very well written and hooking.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

You are so thorough, and I do appreciate all the work you put into a project. Good catches, both. :thumbs:

Chapter 2 has been patched, uploaded, and is ready for a spot check at your leisure.