[COMPLETE] An excursion the Lakes by William Hutchinson-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

An Excursion to the Lakes in Westmoreland and Cumberland, August 1773 by William Hutchinson ~ans (1732 - 1814).
This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/excursion-lakes-westmoreland-cumberland-by-william-hutchinson/

In the summer of 1773, William Hutchinson, lawyer and antiquarian, set out from his home in County Durham on a tour of the English Lake District. Accompanied by his brother, George Allan, he travelled by horseback westward to Penrith and Keswick, from which excursions were taken on 'Hullswater' (Ullswater) and 'Dernwater' (Derwentwater). Turning southward, the brothers visited Grasmere, Ambleside and Windermere, before returning home via Kendal and Kirkby Stephen. In the following year, Hutchinson published the first guide to the Lakes. Written in an era when English writers were beginning to develop a Romantic sensibility for countryside and the 'view', his account vividly describes not only the sights, but also the sounds of a district that would soon be the domain of literary giants such as Wordsworth, Southey, Matthew Arnold and Harriett Martineau. These recordings were made 'on site' as I followed in Hutchinson's footsteps during the cold and wet early spring of 2018. (Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/excursiontolakes00hutc
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: Lats62bT

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (William Hutchinson) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hutchinson_(topog

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 5
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1774
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: Romanticism, scenery, Lake District

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of An Excursion to the Lakes in Westmoreland and Cumberland, August 1773. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "An Excursion to the Lakes in Westmoreland and Cumberland, August 1773, by William Hutchinson. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of An Excursion to the Lakes in Westmoreland and Cumberland, August 1773 by William Hutchinson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of An Excursion to the Lakes in Westmoreland and Cumberland, August 1773, by William Hutchinson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename excursion_##_hutchinson_128kb.mp3 )

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: William Hutchinson
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: An Excursion to the Lakes in Westmoreland and Cumberland, August 1773

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by eggs4ears on May 22nd, 2018, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC, Newgatenovelist DPL. All five sections will be ready to upload this weekend.
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in. Ahhhh, English weather!

For PLing, do you want me to ease off a bit, or how else were you thinking of matching any sections that would require a mic for changes?

Upload as much as you want whenever you want, though I can't promise I'll crack through them. No matter how much I like a reader or a book, I don't stay as sharp as I'd like if I do multiple sections back to back. I don't know if I get used to the writing or the voice or both, but I think I'll do a better job if I split it into smaller listening parts.
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Looking forward to hearing this!
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All set up -if you took any photos you'd like to make PD and have as cover let me know.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne, Yes, I do have photos and can send a couple for you to choose from. How can I get them to you? Phil
annise wrote: May 19th, 2018, 11:41 pm All set up -if you took any photos you'd like to make PD and have as cover let me know.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

All six chapters uploaded with timings in the MW.

Yes, you are right that it may be difficult to make changes if a mic is needed, but let's see how it goes? I can always wait for a rainy day in Sydney!
Newgatenovelist wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:43 am Checking in. Ahhhh, English weather!

For PLing, do you want me to ease off a bit, or how else were you thinking of matching any sections that would require a mic for changes?
Last edited by eggs4ears on May 22nd, 2018, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newgatenovelist

No problem with PL notes. I didn't mean to sound all doom and gloom! I'll post notes for consideration, but that's all they'll be. You can decide once they're all in how you want to handle it. It's all good. Of course, in an ideal world you'd be able to pop back next spring, purely for artistic considerations of any rerecording, right?

0.05-0.08, intro
August 1773 [heard 1973]

9.18-9.26, pp. 16-17, omission
...the sides are barren rocks, in whose chinks here and there [a few shrubs are seen clinging,] and cast a teint of green to variegate the storm-bleached precipice.

25.08, p. 38, first paragraph, omission
...by his first wife the Lady Isabella, [his mother's sister.]

27.18-27.21, pp. 40-41
...some few modern houses of red [heard real] free stone...

I can't tell you how cool this is. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it really does sound like a live, 'action' recording. I mean that in the best possible way. This is really inspiring; I try (and fail) to get my files to sound like they were done in a BBC studio and all it does is slow me down and still not sound perfect. This not only fits the book's subject, but sounds like you're going about the business of recording: 'and here is our intrepid reader, walking around the castle, startling the sheep nearby and going exactly where the author went!'. This is free range audiobook creation and I love it.
Newgatenovelist

A few more observations, and you can do with them what you will!

Section 2

8.08-8.10, last paragraph of p. 52
...form the rising [heard rifling] grounds.

15.48-15.50, last line of indented quotation on p. 61
...new, [heard now] and yet the same.

27.24-27.30, mid-page on p. 75
...from whence the upstretching [heard uptrenching] inclosure, upon gradual declinations...

30.10, second half of p. 78, repetition
...each each dell, chasm, and cave...

30.49-30.52, second half of p. 79
Approaching night [heard sight] rouzed us from our rhapsodies...

This was great. I'm sitting around waiting for a workman to come to the flats, so listening to the British countryside while I wait for the guy to turn up has made my day.
Newgatenovelist

General notes for section 3

8.04-8.07. Alternate pronunciations, p. 91, start of inscription
hisce

8.18-8.21. Inscription, p. 91
Carlisle 1196 [heard 1106]

10.10-10.12. Bottom p. 93
...to denote which stood [heard flood]

13.48. Omission of attribution at end of quote p.98
Mason's Charactacus
[there is an instance of this on the next page at 14.38 that you might be able to copy and paste]

15.14-15.17. End of first paragraph p. 100
...from its similarity [heard familiarity] to those remaining there.

19.45-19.50. First half of first paragraph p. 105
...there was no delusion [heard delation] there was no delusion [heard delation] in the report...
[It isn't 'standalone', but if you can extract it from the surrounding words there's an instance of 'delusion' at 20.17 from the next paragraph]

As before, I'm just making standard notes as I go. It can be weighed up once I'm finished!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hmm... a lot of mistakes. I suppose that is what happens when you are standing in the wind with a recorder in one hand and a mobile phone in the other.

Thanks for pointing out where 'delusion' crops up again. I think surgery is probably the way to go. Another option is to record the correction and then mix with a bit of the ambient sound.
Newgatenovelist

Hmmm. I did wonder about this, and if my usual style of PLing wouldn't really suit. I'll keep at it, and when everything's in you can take a bit of time and decide. This book has been waiting to be recorded for more than two centuries, so it isn't as if you need to rush!

I did wonder how you were recording and reading in the middle of the wind while fighting off all those sheep and songbirds! And I don't think it's a lot of mistakes when you think about how easy it is to stumble over your own tongue in a much more congenial recording environment.

The other option I'll mention is grading on a curve, or, if you prefer, making changes to suit the nature of this project. Over time we've worked out a form of enhanced PLing that works for most projects, but maybe it's not ideal for this one. If I were doing true standard PLing and not following along with the text, I'd only be noting repetitions/alternate pronunciations. Perhaps trying to do a 'normal' style of correction detracts from the 'live reporter/travel writer, warts and all' style of this one. You could experiment with mixing ambient sound and changes, but if you do want to delete repetitions and then send this project out into the wild, that's okay, too. My PL notes might be a bit fussy, but they are only advisory and I'm not a purist. Just the fact that this book is being recorded is more important than that it's word perfect, and I think capturing the genius loci gives it a special charm.

I'm sorry about this, but I suspect I won't be able to PL today. I'm not moving terribly quickly, but I will get there in the end!
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

May I offer a word on PLing this as a faithful listener and former DPLer?

Phil, I don't care how many stumbles come through in the sincerity of the way you bring me where you go on the travel pieces.

Now, I just finished Phra-- omg what a great reading! For that type of storytelling, the 'perfecter' the better-- mistakes would get in the way of swallowing the premise in all its well-woven detail.

But thinking back to Florence and Venice-- not likely that "mistakes" there would have distracted.

So I'd vote for the "let 'er rip" level of editing here-- let it flow as much as possible with all the freshness of being there. I know it's going to be great!
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I agree fully that this is not great literature, it's someone telling us about a great place they have been . It's like a sketch made with watercolours It will get muddy if over worked. I'd just cut out repeats and put in the summary that it was recorded in situ
Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, everyone, for the advice to be laid back about the corrections. Will do my best!

Erin, I always ask for standard PL, because I don't like to impose. But I am very grateful that you read along while PLing, because you pick up so much more. I am happy for you to point out everything you hear in this one and I'll decide what to do later.