COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 057 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf057_progress_anonymous_adr_128kb.mp3 time 4:31

Sue,
Above is the file with Brown dropped from the title and anonymous put in. I do agree with your statement about the author not being as clear so anonymous was a good call on your part.
Thank you,
April 6090

Sue Anderson wrote: May 16th, 2018, 3:50 pm
adr6090 wrote: May 16th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Here are 2 separate additions for this thread. My question for you is about the 2nd recording above, Progress. I did not see the author as in the first one. I did mention a gentleman that was speaking with someone else though that name was not given. Please do let me know if that was okay.
Thank you,
April6090
Hi April, Thanks for the Black Walnut, and Progress! :) To answer your question about the Progress essay, it's ok by me to leave the actual recording the way you read it, with the attribution to "Professor Brown." But if you would be so kind, would you change the author in your file from "Brown" to "Anonymous," and re-upload the file?

My reasoning here is that "Professor Brown" is, in the essay, being referred to by an anonymous author in a more-or-less apocryphal sense; indeed there might have been a real professor by that last name, but we don't actually know that. Also, Professor Brown's story is not given in his own words, but those words "remembered" by the anonymous author.

Thanks,
April
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

adr6090 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 11:56 am https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf057_progress_anonymous_adr_128kb.mp3 time 4:31

Sue,
Above is the file with Brown dropped from the title and anonymous put in. I do agree with your statement about the author not being as clear so anonymous was a good call on your part.
Thank you,
April 6090
Thanks, April! :)
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:thumbs:
Sue Anderson wrote: May 18th, 2018, 9:32 am
adr6090 wrote: May 17th, 2018, 11:56 am https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf057_progress_anonymous_adr_128kb.mp3 time 4:31

Sue,
Thank you,
April 6090
Thanks, April! :)
April
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi Sue and Craig -

Here's one from me for SNF057-

Title: A Forest Fire in Northern Wisconsin
Author: John L. Bracklin
Link from the uploader: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf057_forestfireinnorthernwisconsin_bracklin_ps_128kb.mp3
Link to the source: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57176
-or- http://www.gutenberg.org/files/57176/57176-h/57176-h.htm#Page_16
Length in minutes: 16:22
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

pschempf wrote: May 20th, 2018, 11:02 pm Hi Sue and Craig -

Here's one from me for SNF057-

Title: A Forest Fire in Northern Wisconsin
Author: John L. Bracklin
Hi Fritz, Thanks for this bit of what is "almost local history" for the Midwest based crew of the SNF -- BC (Illinois) and DPL (Wisconsin)! :) It's definitely a vivid account of what it is like to live through and try to fight a forest fire!.

Our local forest preserve district uses "fire management" to control invasive plants like buckthorn, and even watching, as I have done, a controlled burn roaring across a dry prairie is scary.
soupy

Post by soupy »

A Forest Fire in Northern Wisconsin is PLOK :thumbs:

Thanks Phil :D

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Thank you both. I worked with Kirtland Warblers in central Michigan years ago so have a bit of experience with "controlled" burns. I'm glad I left the area before a controlled burn turned into the Mack Lake Fire and burnt a number of homes and killed one person. I later worked on the Marble Cone Fire, a wild fire near Monterey, California that burned about 220,000 acres, showering ash into King City 30 miles from the fire. When I first saw this title, I thought of the Peshtigo Fire, but it was almost 30 years earlier (1871) and on the other side of Wisconsin on the Door Peninsula and adjacent mainland. It burned well over a million acres and killed 600 people. Fires were an all too common seasonal hazard in the big timber days in the Midwest.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
soupy

Post by soupy »

You've had a variegated career Phil. Thanks for the background information.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

pschempf wrote: May 21st, 2018, 8:18 am Thank you both. I worked with Kirtland Warblers in central Michigan years ago so have a bit of experience with "controlled" burns. I'm glad I left the area before a controlled burn turned into the Mack Lake Fire and burnt a number of homes and killed one person. I later worked on the Marble Cone Fire, a wild fire near Monterey, California that burned about 220,000 acres, showering ash into King City 30 miles from the fire. When I first saw this title, I thought of the Peshtigo Fire, but it was almost 30 years earlier (1871) and on the other side of Wisconsin on the Door Peninsula and adjacent mainland. It burned well over a million acres and killed 600 people. Fires were an all too common seasonal hazard in the big timber days in the Midwest.
Fritz, What an interesting career! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here is one for the collection:

The Loss of His Majesty's Frigate Anson by Unknown

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/57112

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf057_lossofanson_unknown_lt_128kb.mp3 (21:38)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 1:22 pm 50 Quatrains From Nostradamus (I read the English quatrain but not he annotations)
Michael Nostradamus 1503-1566
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus
14:44

Craig
Thanks for these! :) I had heard of Nostradamus, but I don't quite know what to make of the quatrains. What's your take on these?

There are three quatrains that need some attention. To simplify things for you on quatrains 38 and 48, I've provided the quatrain as I see it on the printed page, followed by line by line corrections.

Quatrain #19, page 15, at 5:22, you left out the words "Chief runneth away."
------------

Quatrain 38, page 26, at 10:33

The quatrain, as printed, reads:

The sun and the eagle shall appear to the Victorious,
A vain answer shall be made good to the vanquished
By no means Arms shall not be stopped
Vengeance maketh Peace, by death he then accomplisheth it.

Line one, you read "victorious" as "victoria."
Line two, you left out words "A vain answer shall be"
Line three: you left out the double negative and read "By no means arms shall be stopped."

--------------

Quatrain 48, page 31, at 13:21

The quatrain, as printed, reads:

Twenty years of the Reign of the Moon being past,
Seven Thousands years another shall hold his Monarchy,
When the Sun shall reassume his days past,
This is fulfilled, and endeth my Prophecy.

Line one, you read "shall pass" (or "shall past")
Line three, you read "Then the sun"
Line four, you read "Then is fulfilled"

Regards.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Lynnet wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 4:12 pm Here is one for the collection:

Thanks, Lynnet for your contribution to volume 57! :) Seafaring was a hard life!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Sue Anderson wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 6:00 pm
Lynnet wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 4:12 pm Here is one for the collection:

Thanks, Lynnet for your contribution to volume 57! :) Seafaring was a hard life!
But at least someone found a wife while in drag :lol:
soupy

Post by soupy »

Corrected copy

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf057_nostradamas_cc_128kb.mp3

14:49

Craig

His prophecies have been studied with an eye to world history. It's a strange book so I thought it would be good for Librivox to have a link to it. The annotator started making predictions while translating the book and everyone has followed suit.

The History channel says.

How did a French prophet living in 16th century France predict so many modern day disasters? From the tragic events of 9/11, to recent tsunamis in the Pacific, to the Ebola outbreak in 2014--how could one man see so far into the future so accurately?

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge