(Complete) Stories of Symphonic Music by Lawrence Gilman - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jmoorehouse wrote: November 29th, 2018, 1:25 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/storiesofsymphonicmusic_24_gilman_128kb.mp3

Section 24--Posted and ready for a listen.

Greetings, Lynnet. I am filled with anxiety about the recording and the upload only because it's been so long since I've done one. This one is 19'25". I am standing by to make corrections to the upload as needed.

Jan
Thank you, Jan. It looks good, but Monica will listen as soon as she is able.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Perfect. Thanks!
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Got it and will listen to it asap, thank you :)
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

jmoorehouse wrote: November 29th, 2018, 1:25 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/storiesofsymphonicmusic_24_gilman_128kb.mp3

Section 24--Posted and ready for a listen.

Greetings, Lynnet. I am filled with anxiety about the recording and the upload only because it's been so long since I've done one. This one is 19'25". I am standing by to make corrections to the upload as needed.
No need for anxiety at all, you're reading wonderfully! :9: It was nice to meet Snug again (I read him once in a dramatic version of Midsummer Night's dream) and I loved the approach you choose for "Mendelssohn was a better musician than historian" :).

The only thing needed to be fixed is the bitrate - we need a constant one at 128 kbps.

Length according to checker is 19.45, I noted it in the MW.

Would you like to get a recording of "Fugals Höhle" and "Hähnel" for future reference? There's no need at all to change it, I could understand it well, I am only asking because you read the German sentences in the text very well and maybe want to perfect those two word, too if you ever come across them again.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Thanks! You know, the bitrate was the one thing I had a problem with when I was preparing the recording for upload. I couldn't find how to change it to 128. I will search again--because no doubt I once knew how to do that.

I would love the recordings you offered and will fix those two if I can. Thanks again. I am remembering now how fun this was when I did it a few years ago. Your kind words encourage me to do more.
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Here is the file again this time with 128 bitrate. (Thanks for the video on how to do this, Phil Chenevert!).
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/storiesofsymphonicmusic_24_gilman_128kb.mp3

New time is 19' 45"

Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jmoorehouse wrote: December 2nd, 2018, 9:04 am Here is the file again this time with 128 bitrate. (Thanks for the video on how to do this, Phil Chenevert!).

New time is 19' 45"

Jan
Thank you
Once you have set the bitrate, it should stay set unless you change it. Although sometimes the bitrate gremlins do seem to get in :evil:
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

:D :lol: :clap:
Glad to know it SHOULD stay set. I don't remember having to change it in the past.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Here's the sound sample I promised:
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/fingalshoele.mp3

If you'd like to change it (which is not necessary, I think), you could have a look at the volume. I noticed on the new recording that it is at 84.4 dB, which is outside the range of 86 to 92 dB. But I listened to the recording in between the succeeding and the following one and it really fits in nicely, so I still mark it PL ok. Only, for future recordings, don't get lower in volume :)

You can check the volume with the little java-script checker (see sig) or with ReplayGain if you use Audacity.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

moniaqua wrote: December 4th, 2018, 1:08 pm If you'd like to change it (which is not necessary, I think), you could have a look at the volume. I noticed on the new recording that it is at 84.4 dB, which is outside the range of 86 to 92 dB. But I listened to the recording in between the succeeding and the following one and it really fits in nicely, so I still mark it PL ok. Only, for future recordings, don't get lower in volume :)

You can check the volume with the little java-script checker (see sig) or with ReplayGain if you use Audacity.
Actually, it's more of an issue than that: it will actually prevent the project from uploading to Archive. Within the 86-92 range, my 'adjust volume' will iron it out between files; but outside that range, it will just fail. Don't worry, though... I will fix it this time.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Oh, thank you for telling me. I wasn't aware of that point.
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

I believe I have made a better recording of the German pronunciation of Die Fingals Hohle (3.10.871) and hopefully a better recording of the name Amalia Hahnel (8.30). I did make an effort to amplify the whole recording. Hopefully this is all a step forward. I uploaded the new file.
Jan
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you everyone for your contributions, and to Monica for her diligent PLing :clap: :clap: :clap:

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/stories-of-symphonic-music-by-lawrence-gilman/
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
And thank you, Lynne, to put this all together and prepare all the stuff needed :)

Jan, it's getting better and especially the Amalie sounds great :thumbs: