(Complete) Stories of Symphonic Music by Lawrence Gilman - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

bicko19 wrote: May 6th, 2018, 8:44 pm Hi there everyone!

My name is Matt and I’m new here!

Would it be okay if I started with Wagner (35) and then pick up a few more from there? (I’ve actually sung in a few of his operas!)

Cheers!
Hi and welcome to Librivox!
There are a few things to do before you get started.
You will need to complete a one minute test - this is to check your specs are up to Librivox standards, and if not, you'll be given hints on how to remedy that. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
Please post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum (see the dropdown at the bottom of the page) for the speediest response. Waiting for the OK may seem tedious, but can save time in the long run.
You will also need to be added to the catalog of readers. I will add you using your forum name, but if you prefer your real name or a pseudonym let me know. We can also link to a personal blog or website. If you click on your name in the Magic Window, you will see your own personal catalog page.
Be sure to read the first post - all the info you need is there, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask. The wiki (see the top of the page) has bundles of info too.
Lynne
bicko19

Post by bicko19 »

Hi Lynne,

Here is the link to the thread of my one minute test: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=70211

Thanks!
Matt.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

moniaqua wrote: May 6th, 2018, 1:59 am Managed to listen to sections 00 and 01 :)

Very interesting, and clearly read. :clap:
I always knew it: "Music was then, as has been aptly said, a species of 'sensuous mathematics.'"
I love that little smile in your voice :9:

Section 00:

5:12 stumbled over "Eclogue of _S._ Mallarmé", there's a little snake in there :)

I guess you omitted the subtitle on purpose?

Section 01

I noted it PL ok, as listening level is standard. If I wouldn't read along in order to see if the text is complete, I probably wouldn't even have noticed. But as I noticed, I write the two little things I found down; please tell me if you change them so that I can spot-check:

7:18 I hear "to wait in the telling of a story" ?
10:30 missing "fervid" (Franz Liszt, a man of fervid imagination)
00 corrected.
I left 01 as is.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Lynnet wrote: May 7th, 2018, 1:57 am 00 corrected.
I left 01 as is.
Ok, thank you :)

I updated the MW.

Section 02 is also supremely interesting and very well read again. I especially liked the last "ah, for Adonis" :thumbs:

There is only one "chapter two" to much; I hear it at the beginning and the end of the Title after the disclaimer:
"Chapter two - Stories of Symphonic Music, by Lawrence Gilman. - Chapter two".

I think I have to go and find Bantoks Witch of Atlas now... :)
laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

Hello, may I have sections 32,33, and 34 please?

Laurence
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

laurencetrask wrote: May 7th, 2018, 5:52 pm Hello, may I have sections 32,33, and 34 please?

Laurence
You may!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

I listened to another interesting chapter, number 07. :)

The notes:
  • subtitle missing "(Gustave Charpentier: born in Dieuze, France, June 25, 1860; now living in Paris)"
  • 0:58 I hear andiantio, written is andantino
  • 4:26 I hear vo -- kiferously, it sounds like two words
I am just wondering about the footnotes you read so bravely and clearly marked off the text; as the first post states
Footnotes: Please ignore footnotes with simple references;
- what is a simple reference in this context? Lynnet?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

moniaqua wrote: May 8th, 2018, 2:20 am
Footnotes: Please ignore footnotes with simple references;
- what is a simple reference in this context? Lynnet?
In general, I don't like footnotes (I don't read them myself). I do accept sometimes they include interesting facts that people may want to include (in which case why didn't the author think they were interesting enough to include in the main text? :hmm: )
A 'simple footnote' would be a reference e.g. "See page 36"; "As Mr. Smith says in his thesis on page 2"... they have no use for the listener IMHO.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Lynnet wrote: May 8th, 2018, 3:17 am A 'simple footnote' would be a reference e.g. "See page 36"; "As Mr. Smith says in his thesis on page 2"... they have no use for the listener IMHO.
Ok, so "The work has no opus number" also would be rather simple, right?

@lmnei, please let me know whether you cut out those kind of footnotes or left them in when editing your files, thank you :) I apologize that I had overseen that in the beginning.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

moniaqua wrote: May 8th, 2018, 3:29 am
Lynnet wrote: May 8th, 2018, 3:17 am A 'simple footnote' would be a reference e.g. "See page 36"; "As Mr. Smith says in his thesis on page 2"... they have no use for the listener IMHO.

@lmnei, please let me know whether you cut out those kind of footnotes or left them in when editing your files, thank you :) I apologize that I had overseen that in the beginning.
I wouldn't include it... but I'm not going to have a meltdown if it's there :lol:
WilkieMills

Post by WilkieMills »

May I read chapters 3 and 4 please? (Beethoven and Berlioz respectively)

Thanks,
Wilkiemills
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

WilkieMills wrote: May 8th, 2018, 6:02 pm May I read chapters 3 and 4 please? (Beethoven and Berlioz respectively)

Thanks,
Wilkiemills
Thank you for claiming
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi,

i will try to read chapter 36 - wolf

thank you and cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

schrm wrote: May 9th, 2018, 3:34 am hi,

i will try to read chapter 36 - wolf

thank you and cheers,
schrm
Go for it!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Lynnet wrote: May 8th, 2018, 3:41 am
moniaqua wrote: May 8th, 2018, 3:29 am

I wouldn't include it... but I'm not going to have a meltdown if it's there :lol:
For the sections that I have recorded I will leave in the footnotes that I already recorded. For the recordings going forward I will only record the "interesting" footnotes.

Lynda