[COMPLETE] North Lancashire by J. E. Marr - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

eggs4ears wrote: April 27th, 2018, 11:03 am The author also wrote the books on Cumberland and Westmorland. The collector in me says read those as well, but I think I'll restrain myself :)
Ha! I get teased for my thorough approach to things too. Well, if you ever run out of other material to record, they'll be there.

Notes for section 1

General point: Cambridge County Geographies. You were considering deleting this, so I'm just leaving a paper trail. It is right there on the title page, though, if you want to leave it in.

An observation about the text: I think there may have been a slight mix-up about the text link. The one in the first post is to a 1915 (pocket edition?) book held by UCLA (https://archive.org/details/northlancashireb00marr). That one does not have a preface. The 'Cambridge County Geographies' one, published 1912 and with a preface, is a scan of a book held by U Toronto(https://archive.org/details/northlancashiree00marruoft). I have PLed this section to the 1912 U Toronto book. Is all of that clear or have I completely muddled things?

10.31. P. 8, last full paragraph. Omission:
...large number of industrial centres [therein, of which Manchester and Liverpool are chief.] It has been...
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 2: at 0.42, the top of p. 33, '(2)' is omitted before the new subsection.

I'm glad it's you reading this. I definitely would have mispronounced some of these names!
Newgatenovelist

Three notes for section 3:

6.19-6.24. Top of p. 66, repetition
Many old lakelets scattered over the district have been thu- have been thus filled.

21.51-21.54. First sentence of last paragraph, p. 75
...and wild white cattle [heard castle] existed in Lancashire.

40.31-40.37. Top half of p. 88, single-sentence paragraph, self-correction
Of British place-names we may note Leven, Rivvle Leven, Ribble, and Morecambe.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for checking this, Erin. Yes, you are right that I read from the U Toronto version - I have corrected the source in the first post. I read this some time ago and lost the link to the source - so I came up with the wrong one when I looked again. Anyway, as you say, it also means that it is okay to leave in Cambridge County Geographies.

On pronunciation of place names, though I have checked as best I can there are probably still a few mistakes. It seems that half the places in Lancashire have non-intuitive pronunciations, but also that people increasingly pronounce them as they are spelled. Plus, in some cases the local pronunciations are seen as 'incorrect'. For example, people who live in Bury pronounce it to rhyme with 'curry', but everyone else rhymes it with 'berry'.
Newgatenovelist wrote: May 9th, 2018, 7:33 am An observation about the text: I think there may have been a slight mix-up about the text link. The one in the first post is to a 1915 (pocket edition?) book held by UCLA (https://archive.org/details/northlancashireb00marr). That one does not have a preface. The 'Cambridge County Geographies' one, published 1912 and with a preface, is a scan of a book held by U Toronto(https://archive.org/details/northlancashiree00marruoft). I have PLed this section to the 1912 U Toronto book. Is all of that clear or have I completely muddled things?
Newgatenovelist

One note for section 4: at 30.34-30.40, first paragraph of p. 114, repetition
Of these barrows there are two types, the long and ro- the long and the round barrows.

Glad the link's sorted out. I'm always relieved when I see more than one copy online, just in case the first scan is blurry or incomplete. Of course, that can lead to other issues! I have to sort this out for a future solo, too - I wrote out my project notebook right before the Windows update earlier this year rendered my pc (with all the info about the text link and edition) unusable. Fun, fun.

I can't think of many places without counterintuitive pronunciations. Perhaps it's just a question of what you're used to in your 'own' region or regions. I didn't know about Bury! One of my favourites from Leicester was Belvoir Street, pronounced 'beaver' like the tree-chewing animal.
Newgatenovelist

Home stretch!

Notes for section 5

MW: says chapters 20-24, should be 20-25

12.46-12.50. P. 132.
'(c)' architectural subdivision omitted from chapter title

23.39-23.46. Penultimate paragraph p. 141, self-correction
...these subsequently abandoned would tend to disappear those subsequently abandoned would tend to disappear...

36.43-36.50. Second half p. 150, self-correction
Urban, and Parish Councils, for the administration of po- for the administration of smaller areas of the county.

Notes for section 6

MW: says chapters 25-26, should be 26-27

3.28. Second line p. 156, omission of Frankland's years of birth and death
(1825-1899)

9.18-9.21. Second sentence p. 162
...and have about 300 [heard 30] acres of water area.

I forgot to say, but after the system crashed a year and a half ago, or whenever it was, I've been more careful keeping track of my PL notes. There is a 'Phil notebook', and the good news is it filled up - so you've clearly been really active! For this project I've started a new one, and I hope it fills quickly.
Newgatenovelist

Just spotted this and listened to it over tea! It's half an hour and is up for four more weeks. If the link doesn't work for whatever reason, look for Tongue and Talk: The Dialect Poets.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2hprv
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for the link, Erin! I'll look forward to that - I wonder how many of them I have read? The East Midlands and Northumberland episodes also look good.

Thanks also for the PLing - I will get this all done at the weekend!

Newgatenovelist wrote: May 14th, 2018, 10:46 am Just spotted this and listened to it over tea! It's half an hour and is up for four more weeks. If the link doesn't work for whatever reason, look for Tongue and Talk: The Dialect Poets.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2hprv
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Looking forward to this.

~Susan
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

I have just put 'An Excursion to the Lakes' up on the new projects launchpad and taken the liberty of nominating you as MC & DPL.

Erin, the 'Dialect Poets' was excellent and I am looking forward to the next episode. I have done Edwin Waugh's dialect poems on Librivox, a whole collection of John Collier stuff, and one of Samuel Laycock's poems. Margaret Lahee seems an interesting character, but I have not found much of her work online. Nothing by Ben Brierley, though he has some really good short stories. I haven't done any dialect readings for a year or two, so I am feeling quite nostalgic!
Newgatenovelist

Duly checked in.

Ah, I was wondering if you would be listening with a pencil to hand to make notes of any new recording ideas. I did think that if I could somehow be the means of introducing you to an author you didn't know about I'd die a happy woman, but I suspect there are few Lancashire writers you don't know!

I knew you'd recorded some of the authors they mentioned in the programme. I will quite happily have a look for some Margaret Lahee if you would like - just say so. I just had a very quick check for Ben Brierley. Was it the poems or the short stories you were wanting? If so, do you have specific titles in mind? It looks like there are some of his works on Hathitrust. There are more, but I've just found:

Daisy Nook Sketches: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015088589778;view=1up;seq=11
Marlocks of Merriton; Red Windows Hall: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.15072838;view=1up;seq=9
Ab-o'th'-Yate in Yankeeland: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101067630531;view=1up;seq=9
Spring Blossoms and Autumn Leaves: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t0ks6p842;view=1up;seq=7

There are more if you want me to have a look or a specific title or compile a list, or if you want me to try and find them on the Internet Archive. Hathitrust can be a bit twitchy, and it is easier to download the pdf! And now that I've decked you with that, I'll leave you in peace.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

All corrections done (I hope!) and ready for spot PL!

Of the Ben Brierleys you've listed, I only know Marlocks of Merriton, which is rather good and well worth recording!

I first learned about him and a number of other Lancashire writers from http://gerald-massey.org.uk/index.htm . But I have never read for Librivox from this source, as I have always doubted whether the texts are reliably PD (though they seem to be very accurate).
Newgatenovelist

Hi Phil,

One note or question about section 5 - could you have a listen to the first 15-20 seconds or so? I'm hearing a sort of ghost track. It sounds like you had the section playing on different speakers in the background as a guide, not synchronised to your recording, and the mic's picked it up faintly. Sort of like a roll of film that's been double exposed. If you've still got the first upload, you ought to be able to work from that - I don't think there was anything wrong with that intro. If you haven't got the previous version, I can either edit it myself and you can spot PL my editing or I can bung you the file via google drive. Barring the odd slip, I try to hang on previous versions of a file I'm DPLing while there are still PL notes to work on. I then keep the PL OK files until the project is catalogued, and after that I assume the Internet Archive will keep it forever and I don't have to!

I've taken the liberty of altering the last two chapter numbers in the MW. Please tell me if you'd like me to keep my mitts off - some people are happy if a DPL does that, others prefer to handle it themselves.

That website is brilliant, and I'm glad you've found it. I did wonder when I posted a few links if I had just committed myself to PLing a special new 'Phil's Dialect Series'! And you'll never believe this, but one of those books is one that I was sitting on, half hoping to tempt you into reading after the Newcastle. If you're still in the mood for long poems, how about The Purgatory of Suicides by Thomas Cooper? He was an autodidact from Leicester who became an ardent Chartist and later became a committed Christian. He wrote the poem (ten books) while incarcerated. Go on, tell me that doesn't sound like a pitch for a feature film! I think he revised it, so if you were to record it it might be worth checking out editions beforehand.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Erin, Thanks for noticing that! I have fixed it and uploaded again. What you were hearing was the correction that I recorded on a separate track and forgot to delete. It got mixed in to the MP3. Phil
Newgatenovelist wrote: May 21st, 2018, 10:31 am Hi Phil,

One note or question about section 5 - could you have a listen to the first 15-20 seconds or so?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Yes, I am definitely interested and this is an author/poem that I haven't come across before! There is an 1845 edition on Hathi and an 1850 edition on Internet Archive (preferable as I can download the PDF).

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433074844485;view=1up;seq=8
https://archive.org/details/purgatorysuicid00coopgoog

But first, I plan to do the short John Gay poem that Anne suggested and perhaps a couple of Herford lectures

Newgatenovelist wrote: May 21st, 2018, 10:31 am If you're still in the mood for long poems, how about The Purgatory of Suicides by Thomas Cooper? He was an autodidact from Leicester who became an ardent Chartist and later became a committed Christian. He wrote the poem (ten books) while incarcerated. Go on, tell me that doesn't sound like a pitch for a feature film! I think he revised it, so if you were to record it it might be worth checking out editions beforehand.