[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1845-1848 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
linny

Post by linny »

Such a powerful section! Great work, thank you. Section 3 is PL OK :thumbs:

Thank you for your help with this volume. The next one will be Taylor, Fillmore and Pierce. I should have it open soon. I need to go through and figure out the section breakdown and that's always a bit of a chore. :roll:
linny

Post by linny »

Lynne,
I'm sorry about this extra task. Will you please change the database title?
State of the Union Addresses by US Presidents, should be:
State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents (1845 - 1848)

I'm trying to keep the catalog list in order. https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

linny wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 8:11 am Such a powerful section!
It really was, and I kept hearing a Southern Gentlemen's accent. He must've been a great man.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

linny wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 8:57 am Lynne,
I'm sorry about this extra task. Will you please change the database title?
State of the Union Addresses by US Presidents, should be:
State of the Union Addresses by United States Presidents (1845 - 1848)

I'm trying to keep the catalog list in order. https://librivox.org/search?q=state%20of%20the%20union&search_form=advanced
Done.
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you! :9:
linny

Post by linny »

realisticspeakers wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 9:12 am
linny wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 8:11 am Such a powerful section!
It really was, and I kept hearing a Southern Gentlemen's accent. He must've been a great man.
I agree. The last paragraph was especially touching. Such kindness.
linny

Post by linny »

linny wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 8:11 am The next one will be Taylor, Fillmore and Pierce. I should have it open soon. I need to go through and figure out the section breakdown and that's always a bit of a chore. :roll:
Now launched! I would usually wait for this one to be 80% completed but since it's full and I finished the breakdown I went ahead with it.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70543
They are all 2 parts per address. We are finished with the longer addresses until we get to Cleveland, 1885. :mrgreen:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Colleen,
Section 10 is spot check PL OK! Thank you. :thumbs:
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

Here is section 8 - its 47:40 long.
The URL is https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1845_1848_08_various_128kb.mp3

Happy Listening!
*** Doug
*** Doug F.
"The glass isn't half full, its about to overflow - get me another glass!"
linny

Post by linny »

Great job, Doug! PL OK :thumbs:

I chuckled when as soon as the story of the war was over and you moved on to financials your dog jingled their tags. It was as if they were saying 'oh no, this stuff is boring'. :mrgreen:
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

Who *ever* said that dogs were dumb animals????
I'm glad they gave some relief - we certainly needed it.
Can you imaging having to SIT through this *whole* thing in Congress?!?!?!!!!

Oh well, now its onward to the next section !
*** Doug F.
"The glass isn't half full, its about to overflow - get me another glass!"
linny

Post by linny »

I guess I shouldn’t mention that every year I listen to I have the strongest urge to pull up a spreadsheet and enter everything so I can compare year to year. Yep, I’m one of THOSE people. :shock: Good news is I haven’t done it...yet. :lol:

Enjoy the ending!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

If I recall correctly, the State of the Union (or annual message to Congress, I think it was called until FDR started calling it State of the Union) was not actually given as a formal speech at a joint session of Congress during most of this period, but was sent in writing from the President. So no one had to sit through it the way they do nowadays, in a formal, closely watched session with everyone watching and analyzing facial expressions and who applauds and who doesn't, and all that.

It was probably read aloud into the record but people could likely come and go as they do when that is happening toward the end of the day's business when things are being read into the record on C-Span and all you see is empty seats! Even if the members were expected to all gather and sit and listen to it, it wasn't the formal ceremonial occasion it is these days. Thankfully!

I believe George Washington and John Adams gave their messages as an address to Congress but Thomas Jefferson started sending it as a written letter or report and everyone did that until Woodrow Wilson did a joint session speech in his first term. Then after that it was off and on between speech and written message until FDR. By that time you had national radio networks that could carry the event live, and FDR was the first President to really understand speaking directly to the people en masse as a powerful tool of the Presidency. Once television was involved and it was all visible and carried live, it started to become the big event it is these days. Even then, I don't remember it being a huge deal in terms of the days and weeks of discussion leading up to and following it until the Clinton era, when you had the 24-hour news networks that had hours of time to fill. That's when all the hoopla really kicked up.

When I was a kid in the 70s/80s, it pre-empted evening tv shows but that was about it. I remember having to watch it once for social studies in grade school (7th or 8th grade, so Carter was president) and keep notes about the topics covered as we would talk about it the next day. I was soooo bored!

I have found the whole thing so tedious in recent years that I don't watch it and just read summaries of it the next day. But after reading the depth of detail in these messages and the references to subsidiary reports I am going to be more interested in watching contemporary SOTU addresses and seeing how those compare.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai