[Complete] State of the Union Addresses 1845-1848 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

It will probably take me at least a week to get 1848 started, so you won't miss anything while you are gone! Safe travels!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

James Polk is a windy gentleman, isn't he?
Here's section 7, 1847 (1st of 3 sections). Its 41:42 *long* already!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/stateoftheunion1845_1847_07_various_128kb.mp3
*** Doug
*** Doug F.
"The glass isn't half full, its about to overflow - get me another glass!"
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Doug,
I have you in for PL but I won’t be able to listen until this weekend.

I hope you are at least finding the reading interesting.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

He is long winded but very clear and precise about what he is doing and what he wants to get done. Makes me a little sad about what the SOTU has become in recent years. So much focus on the pageantry and who people invite as guests, and not much about the many good and useful things the government actually does. Maybe people wouldn't be so down on it if they understood that better.
Colleen McMahon

linny

Post by linny »

Hi Doug,
Great job! Yes, he is certainly detailed.

Section 7 PL notes
9:48 word change - While every patriot's heart must exult and a just national pride animate every bosom in beholding the high proofs of courage, consummate military skill, steady discipline, and humanity to the vanquished enemy exhibited by our gallant Army, the nation is called to mourn over the loss of many brave officers and soldiers, who have fallen in defense of their country's honor and interests.
I hear arm

37:34 word change - Had the Government of Mexico acceded to the equitable and liberal terms proposed, that mode of adjustment would have been preferred, Mexico having declined to do this and failed to offer any other terms which could be accepted by the United States, the national honor, no less than the public interests, requires that the war should be prosecuted with increased energy and power until a just and satisfactory peace can be obtained.
I hear exceeded

40:55 word change - These other Mexican Provinces are now governed by our military and naval commanders under the general authority which is conferred upon a conqueror by the laws of war. They should continue to be held, as a means of coercing Mexico to accede to just terms of peace.
I hear exceed
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

linny

Post by linny »

Hi Colleen,
I messed up on the date in the MW. I’ve corrected it but the intro will need to be updated. You also left out the opening line so at least the correction is all in one area.

0:20 – James Polk, December 5th, 1848. Fellow-Citizens of the Senate and of the House of Representatives: Under the benignant providence…
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

linny -
Here is the 'fixed' section 7 file. It is 41:42 long.:

I've re-recorded the three areas you pointed out.

The 'army' instead of 'arm' was , of course, not a problem.

I think that the 'acceed' vrs 'exceed' issues are an accent problem. I've re-recorded those two sections as best
I can, but they sound pretty similar (to me) compared to my original recording. If you still feel its a problem, I can take another stab at it, let me know.

*** Doug
linny wrote: May 27th, 2018, 9:33 am Hi Doug,
Great job! Yes, he is certainly detailed.

Section 7 PL notes
9:48 word change - While every patriot's heart must exult and a just national pride animate every bosom in beholding the high proofs of courage, consummate military skill, steady discipline, and humanity to the vanquished enemy exhibited by our gallant Army, the nation is called to mourn over the loss of many brave officers and soldiers, who have fallen in defense of their country's honor and interests.
I hear arm

37:34 word change - Had the Government of Mexico acceded to the equitable and liberal terms proposed, that mode of adjustment would have been preferred, Mexico having declined to do this and failed to offer any other terms which could be accepted by the United States, the national honor, no less than the public interests, requires that the war should be prosecuted with increased energy and power until a just and satisfactory peace can be obtained.
I hear exceeded

40:55 word change - These other Mexican Provinces are now governed by our military and naval commanders under the general authority which is conferred upon a conqueror by the laws of war. They should continue to be held, as a means of coercing Mexico to accede to just terms of peace.
I hear exceed
*** Doug F.
linny

Post by linny »

Doug,
Section 7 is spot check PL OK.

I'm sorry about citing an accent issue. I wasn't sure. Thank you for your patience with me. :oops:

For the next sections please double check your file name. The dates should be 1845_1848.
linny

Post by linny »

Great job. PL OK! :thumbs:
Nice explanation on the law of supply and demand.
Our country, which exhibits to the world the benefits of self-government, in developing all the sources of national prosperity owes to mankind the permanent example of a nation free from the blighting influence of a public debt.
:9:
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

linny wrote: May 28th, 2018, 3:27 pm Doug,
Section 7 is spot check PL OK.

I'm sorry about citing an accent issue. I wasn't sure. Thank you for your patience with me. :oops:

For the next sections please double check your file name. The dates should be 1845_1848.
No need to apologize - it was a good observation.

I'll make sure to fix the year in the title for the next one. Should I re-upload section 7 with the corrected year, or has that already been taken care of?
*** Doug
*** Doug F.
linny

Post by linny »

Doug,
You are very kind. Thank you.

No need to upload it again. It can be fixed prior to cataloging. I just try to minimize the number of tasks.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Just letting you know I saw PL feedback. Going out of town for weekend, will fix next week and get back to recording the remaining sections!
Colleen McMahon

linny

Post by linny »

:thumbs: Stay safe out there.