[COMPLETE]The Fall of Troy by Quintus of Smyrna-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

I can PL section 1. I won't be claiming DPL though.

Per standard PL requirements, section 1 is PL OK. That said, I did have a couple of comments you may want to consider but they aren’t required changes.

0:30 I expected to hear the chapter title. I suppose you don’t have to read it but it did seem strange to have it and not hear it.

I found I had to adjust my volume numerous times throughout the section. While the overall volume is 87.2dB you have rather dramatic variances throughout. In the future, you may want to consider compression followed by amplification. When we are more emotional in a portion of a reading, we are naturally louder. During recording, you may want to back slightly away from the mic during these portions. This will still give the intensity without affecting the volume as much.

Welcome to LV! It’s good to have you. :)
Titurel

Post by Titurel »

annise wrote: April 13th, 2018, 4:27 am Great - we just need them PLed which will happen ,
Do you want to have your forum name show on the catalogue page or would you sooner have your real name or your podcast name or something ?
Are you thinking of adding anything else to our catalogue ?

Anne
The forum name will be fine. I no longer have the podcast - I recorded this book about ten years ago. I have some other sections from things like Ovid's Metamorphoses or the Lays of Ancient Rome etc ,but this was the only complete book.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Linny - this is something that the reader had already recorded and has reclothed for us , so it's already complete. So it may be slightly eccentric :D . They are long sections but if you have another spare hour we'd love you back.

Anne
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Anne,
Since it's post processing I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it. There were portions which were really difficult to hear, e.g. the last 4. I know the transfer to Archive will lower the volume even more. At that point some folks may not be able to hear it.

This project is certainly on my list and I'll go ahead and claim section 2 now. I should be able to fit it in throughout the day today.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We'll see what the soloist says - I've worn hearing aids for a long time so I'm not really able to judge volumes.

Anne
linny

Post by linny »

Section 2 is PL OK.

I'll take section 3 as well.

---------------
Section 3 is PL OK.

I'll take section 4.

---------------
Section 4 is PL OK.

I'll be back for more when I have time. Hopefully, another PLer will pop in soon.
linny

Post by linny »

Anne,
I ran all the files through the Checker. Chapters 5 and 10 were flagged for having a DC Bias. Will this have an impact for the transfer to Archive?
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Anne:

May I PL 10-14?

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Certainly Philip

Anne
linny

Post by linny »

I'll claim section 5
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm writing them in the notes field, just so you both don't overlap - thanks again :D

Anne
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Section 10 is PL-OK!

Many thanks,

Philip
linny

Post by linny »

Section 5 is PL OK. 5 and 10 have a DC offset.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Anne, Linny, Titurel:

Titurel--Forgive me my poor manners. Let me extend a hearty Welcome to Librivox as well. I'm enjoying listening to your readings.

I did not run the error in the checker last night when I listened to Section 10--mea culpa. I ran it again a few minutes ago and found what Linny did. Both the checker and the Audacity documentation recommend fixing this issue.

The fix for it is comparatively easy (in Audacity)--here is the link to the appropriate information. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/dc_offset.html. Here is the pertinent part of the page:

Removing DC offset
Audacity's Normalize Effect

Audacity's DC removal method performs a calculation to make the average positive and negative sample values equal. To perform removal, choose Effect > Normalize..., with the option checked "Remove any DC offset (center on 0 vertically)". Uncheck the "Normalize maximum amplitude..." box unless you want to run Normalize as well (see Amplify and Normalize for what Normalize does and when to use it)

For my own education, I followed those directions on Sections 5 & 10 and then ran the checker again on the files and the files cleared the checker. With the permission of all concerned, I will upload the files to the project (but I have not yet done so).

Learn something new here at Librivox every day! Hope this was helpful.

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Titurel:

Just a few notes for Section 11:

At 5:49 the phrase "marvelous in men's eyes" is omitted after "Fire god"
At 8:44 the phrase "mingling with the wind" is moitted following "he spake and vanished"
At 10:10: the lines While glowed the heart.....on high" are omitted following "On pressed Eurymachus"

Other than that, another fine reading!

Many thanks,

Philip