[COMPLETE] Two Old Faiths : Essays on the Religions of the Hindus and Mohammedans - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Two Old Faiths: Essays on the Religions of the Hindus and the Mohammedans by J. Murray Mitchell (1815 - 1904) and Sir William Muir.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/two-old-faiths-by-john-murray-mitchell-and-william-muir/
This book contains two essays, one by each of the listed authors. They describe the two religions of Hinduism and Islam, their history, and their contrast with Christianity. This book was part of the curriculum for the C.L.S.C. (the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle) in the early 1900s"
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16996
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Two Old Faiths: Essays on the Religions of the Hindus and the Mohammedans. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Two Old Faiths: Essays on the Religions of the Hindus and the Mohammedans, by J. Murray Mitchell and William Muir. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Two Old Faiths: Essays on the Religions of the Hindus and the Mohammedans by J. Murray Mitchell and William Muir. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Two Old Faiths: Essays on the Religions of the Hindus and the Mohammedans, by J. Murray Mitchell and William Muir. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename twooldfaiths_##_mitchell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. twooldfaiths_01_mitchell_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Scientila on April 13th, 2018, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This username is also my Gmail address.
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Have I missed anything in my SOLO post? What is the next step. I believe MC will place the magic window. Correct me if I got that wrong.

Thanks,
Scientila
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You missed nothing, on a quick glance. And yes, the next step is for an MC to come along. Sometimes it takes a few days.

I'll set this up after supper, in an hour or so. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up. A couple notes:

- You had J. Mitchell Murray as the author; it's actually J. Murray Mitchell. :) I've fixed all instances of the name.

- I've shortened the suggested file name.

- We'll need some sort of summary/intro before we go to the catalog. Just glancing at the text, maybe something like, "This book contains two essays, one by each of the listed authors. They describe the two religions of Hinduism and Islam, their history, and their contrast with Christianity. This book was part of the curriculum for the C.L.S.C. (the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle) in the early 1900s." :?:

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered a couple chapter titles for you as an example. You can fill in the rest, or change the ones I entered if you like something better. :)

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL. And post in the thread so your proof-listener (whoever it ends up being) knows you uploaded a new section. :)
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Scientila...

If you are looking for a dedicated proof listener (DPL) I'd be interested in this project.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added you in, Philip. I assume Scientila won't object - she's new, and probably doesn't have another DPL lined up.

Thanks! :)
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

I look forward to working with both of you.

Many thanks,

Philip
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Thank you Both. Yes, I definitely need a DPL :-)
Looking Forward !

Thanks,
Scientila
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

Hi,

I wanted to add the recording link to Magic window and When I clicked on BC admin, I get the message as no permission.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/twooldfaiths_01_mitchell_128kb.mp3

This is the First section and would like to get some feedback. It's a small section and I don't mind recording it again.

Thanks,
Scientila
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Scientila:

I see Tricia has already posted the link with the information on how to access the Magic Window. I'll try to PL this section Saturday afternoon.

Congratulations on completing your first recording! I look forward to hearing it.

Many thanks,

Philip
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Did you set up your login for the Magic Window? It isn't the same as your forum login (unless you make it that way deliberately).

If you were logged into the uploader using the generic LV login, you'd need to logout of that first before setting up your personal login that would work in the MW. (The uploader and MW are all part of the "workflow" which would use the same login/password.)

Hope this makes sense!
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Scientila:

Thank you for allowing me to DPL for you. I have listened to your first section and have noted some small minor corrections which need to be made before I can mark it PL-OK.

The "tech specs" on the file were perfect.

The beginning silence of 5 seconds needs to be reduced to between .5-1 second.

The ending silence is 3.5 seconds and needs to be 5 seconds.

These are in place (especially the ending one) to insure your reading does not get cut off.

At 0:40 there is a loud click in your reading. This click needs to be eliminated.

One last thing--whenever you upload a file be sure to post its running length. Tricia will need that for cataloging purposes.

Very well read and an excellent first submission. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Many thanks,

Philip
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Going Solo. :)
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

TriciaG wrote: April 14th, 2018, 7:09 am Did you set up your login for the Magic Window? It isn't the same as your forum login (unless you make it that way deliberately).

If you were logged into the uploader using the generic LV login, you'd need to logout of that first before setting up your personal login that would work in the MW. (The uploader and MW are all part of the "workflow" which would use the same login/password.)

Hope this makes sense!
Yeah...That was it. Now I'm able to access the MW. Thanks for the help.

-Scientila
Scientila

Post by Scientila »

DrPGould wrote: April 14th, 2018, 6:56 pm
Philip,

Thank you for Listening to it. I have corrected the seconds at the beginning and at the end. Tried my best on the click sound. Not sure if I did a good job there.

Also I noticed that, after period when I start a sentence with "A" or "The"...My voice is too low. Not sure if it's a disconnect to listener or if this is natural.

Thanks again. I have uploaded the edited link to the MW.

-Scientila