(COMPLETE) Flower of The Dusk by Myrtle Reed - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Flower of the Dusk by Myrtle Reed (1874 - 1911).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/flower-of-the-dusk-by-myrtle-reed/
Published in 1908, this is the story of two small families and the agreeable couple who help them. The heartfelt Norths, though clouded by disabilities, maintain the joy of life while struggling through sadness and loss. Their neighbours, the Austins, live comfortably if without much in the way of shared interest. As Eloise Wynne approaches to “bless” the Norths with her amiable fiancé, Doctor Allan Conrad, the two offspring in each family discover a hidden deception and how each parent, that they had grown up without, had met their fatal ends. (Summary by Daryl Wor)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18057
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Flower of the Dusk. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Flower of the Dusk, by Myrtle Reed. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Flower of the Dusk by Myrtle Reed. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Flower of the Dusk, by Myrtle Reed. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename flowerofthedusk_##_reed_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. flowerofthedusk_01_reed_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Morlock on February 18th, 2020, 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

post script: I have ordered a new adapter so that I can (hopefully) use a different "device" when I record books apart from what I am doing now to record radio dramas and podcasts. (And then I might also make books at the loudness they need.)

M.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MR was a Chicagoan. I'll set up the MW shortly.

Edit: Let me know if anything needs fixing. Do you have someone in mind as your DPL? If not we can put a ~ before the book title in the subject line to advertise for one.
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Wow! I almost forgot about her location.

It's been a while so no one in mind is coming to me. One thing that helps a lot is discussion of what is going on in the story per chapter. It keeps my interest and focus on the work itself. Thanks for the promptness!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Will leave this thread in the Launch Pad for a day or two in the hope that we will find a DPL.
DanAD

Post by DanAD »

Can DPL be done from a phone? I would like to help with the project but I rarely have access to a computer so if I am able to listen while being mobile if be glad to be the DPL.

Dan A. D.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

DanAD wrote: March 25th, 2018, 1:30 pm Can DPL be done from a phone? I would like to help with the project but I rarely have access to a computer so if I am able to listen while being mobile if be glad to be the DPL.
Dan A. D.
Dan,
Standard Proof-listening involves the following:
-- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
-- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
-- Are there any repeats, or serious stumbles that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
-- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
-- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
-- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
-- Are there about 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file?

Before trying to PL an entire book I would suggest you volunteer to PL a single chapter. In the Listeners Wanted forum opportunities to do this can be found. I've listened to files on my phone but only because I'm experienced at proof listening was I able to do it. Thanks for the offer though.
DanAD

Post by DanAD »

Thanks I'll give it a go and see how it works. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving this topic to the Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy. Once you have posted a chapter a dpl will likely appear.
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Oh, thank you! I'm glad to see this back up! I hope to get right to it this week! *wipes brow*
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

I've got the first chapter up:

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/flowerofthedusk_01_reed.mp3

file duration: 16:49

However, the open mic caught my reading instead of the headset mic, which I've heard on LV books before. So as much as I was disappointed I decided to finish editing and see if it passed inspection. If it does I'll be happy to give the book a little mixture as I get better acquainted with my new set up in adapter, headsets and machinery. If it doesn't? Phooey, but steady as she goes, right?

Our immediate protagonists are rather a sad case, I'm afraid. On the other hand, I've done the reading for chapter two and the people in that one are quite colourful in opposition to each other, ha ha.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The file was exported at 75kbps. We require 128kbps (constant). Before you export it though you should reduce the volume as it's a tad high (93.1dB where we require files be in the 86-92dB range). One way to reduce the volume would be to lower the first 13m (they are louder than the rest). Just highlight the section from 00:00 to 13:00 and amplify it by -2dB. Otherwise the file is pl ok.
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi Dave and Morlock,

May be the DPL for this project? :D

*Correction: May I...
Last edited by HZFerr on April 14th, 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

HZFerr wrote: April 14th, 2018, 12:46 pm Hi Dave and Morlock,
May be the DPL for this project? :D
As soon as our reader gives the thumbs up I'll add you as dpl.
Dave
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

TY Dave. :D
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry