COMPLETE[PLAY]Charley's Aunt by Brandon Thomas - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This one is a good deal shorter; "only" 42:27. :wink: Again, I skipped one or two things that I couldn't figure out. Also, my sweet kitty cat makes a cameo appearance at once point! :D (He was reminding me that it was dinner time.) I left it in because it's between lines.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_stagedir_3_128kb.mp3

This play had some interesting turns of phrase I hadn't encountered before. Any idea what it means to "cock a snook"? Or to "shoot a cuff"? :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: July 1st, 2018, 9:14 pm I actually have to disagree with you on this. I take it to mean "drawing near to," or in other words, moving closer to. However, I've recorded your suggestion at 39:42, and left both versions in. I'll let Todd arbitrate between us. :wink:
oh ok, sorry :oops: my mistake then probably, blame it on me not being a native speaker. I didn't think of this expression "drawing near to" that's why I went to to find another solution and since he sits down shortly after I thought he was drawing the chair.

Well, sorry for making you reupload it unnecessarily in this case. :? Mea culpa. It was PL ok on the first go. What a feat !

...will PL your "short" stage directions for Act 3 later on.

Thanks !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Without looking into the play for context - so likely incorrect in this use:

"Shoot a cuff" is to straighten up your posture so that coat sleeve and shirt cuffs align properly. To try and look more impressive perhaps, or maybe you were caught lounging or in a somewhat compromising situation and are trying to look more proper in the eyes of authority.

I think "Cock a snook" means to have a drink?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: July 1st, 2018, 9:45 pmThis one is a good deal shorter; "only" 42:27. :wink: Again, I skipped one or two things that I couldn't figure out.
brilliant, Devorah, that was quick ! I only found two lines you'd missed or left out. I agree that we can safely leave those out. But just here for the record, in case Todd wants them.

> at 17:54: “Going Center” - optional for this once

> at about 18:21: “Spettigue (job fully)” – whatever that means... :roll: I guess we can leave that out and let Chris convey it somehow in his voice (if he knows what it means :lol: )

I'll mark it PL ok. Excellent job and this was really so much work. You definitely deserve a hardiness medal for this !

Thanks, now the stage directions are all in, Todd can start assembling (once his computer is unpacked again)

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, "job fully" had me completely stumped. I think it must be a typo, but I have no idea what it should be.

Todd, your explanation of shooting a cuff fits the context perfectly! I'm sure that's what it means. Cocking a snook, from context, seemed to me to be a kind of rude gesture, like shaking a fist or something similar.

I won't disguise my relief at being finished with this! :roll: I think it'll be a long while before I claim any more stage directions. :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 5:33 am I won't disguise my relief at being finished with this! :roll: I think it'll be a long while before I claim any more stage directions. :lol:
:lol: I can totally believe that. I think you should celebrate this accomplishment now with a nice drink you like :birthday:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 5:33 am Cocking a snook, from context, seemed to me to be a kind of rude gesture, like shaking a fist or something similar.
wikipedia gives a nice picture of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocking_a_snook

:mrgreen:

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 5:39 am
mightyfelix wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 5:33 am Cocking a snook, from context, seemed to me to be a kind of rude gesture, like shaking a fist or something similar.
wikipedia gives a nice picture of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocking_a_snook

:mrgreen:

Sonia
Well, I've learned something...
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, thanks for looking it up for us, Sonia! :D
becevka

Post by becevka »

Hi all,
Just a quick update. I am still recording my bits. Hope to have it done by the end of the next week.
Sorry it's taken so long.
Wolfgang Bas
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

becevka wrote: July 8th, 2018, 2:25 pm Just a quick update. I am still recording my bits. Hope to have it done by the end of the next week.
thank you for the update :) if you don't mind, no need to wait for all three acts to finish before uploading. I'm just as happy PLing them bit by bit, as soon as one act is done.

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, here is Kitty's part again, with the "Spettigew" changes made at the following points:

Act 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_kittyverdun_1.mp3
0:07, 1:02

Act 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_kittyverdun_2.mp3
3:19, 4:12, 5:01, 5:48

Act 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_kittyverdun_3.mp3
0:09, 1:04

I also took the opportunity to fix the volume on Act 3, so that should be within spec now.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: July 9th, 2018, 10:09 pm OK, here is Kitty's part again, with the "Spettigew" changes made at the following points:
thank you Beth, all Spettigues perfectly changed and PL ok. Thanks for giving me the time-stamps, that made my job easier :9:

Todd, these are new files now, so I hope you did not insert them into the masterfile yet.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I did not work on any assembly work here yet so all is well.

Many thanks, Todd
becevka

Post by becevka »

Kitty wrote: July 8th, 2018, 11:35 pm
becevka wrote: July 8th, 2018, 2:25 pm Just a quick update. I am still recording my bits. Hope to have it done by the end of the next week.
thank you for the update :) if you don't mind, no need to wait for all three acts to finish before uploading. I'm just as happy PLing them bit by bit, as soon as one act is done.

Sonia
OK, let's start then.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/charleysaunt_charleywykeham_1_128kb.mp3
Time 21:17

Can't wait to hear your feedback.
Wolfgang Bas