COMPLETE: Ketchup by A.W. and K.G. Bitting - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

I'm traveling at the moment. Will PL on Wed or Thurs. Sorry for the delay.
Tom
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

There's no hurry at all.

EDIT: I've uploaded section 14.

Total so far, approx. 1:01:25

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 13 is PL OK!
Section 14 is PL OK!

Thank you for your patience (and your reading).
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Take as long as you like; it's hardly a desperately needed recording .... and, because it's in my own voice and I don't have to try to recreate character voices, it's easy to edit over mistakes.

And the author has a very relaxed style, too.

Section 15 uploaded.

Total so far, approx. 1:05:18

Peter
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 15 is PL OK!

I'm looking forward to section 19, organisms in ketchup. That should be fun.
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Tom; .... will we be put off eating ketchup? ... the mystery thickens ... and then possibly separates, and decomposes and discolours.

Section 16 uploaded.

Total so far, approx. 1:11:08
Peter
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 16: I have a couple of items for your attention:
02:31 - 02:35 repeated phrase "they are also flattened laterally"
03:25 - 03:28 repeated phrase "the sap contains"
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Tom; section 16 edited and re-uploaded.
Peter
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 16 is PL OK!

Have you ever tried smoked paprika in your ketchup?
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Tom, I've only made the one batch of ketchup so far, but the smoked paprika is definitely going into the next batch.

Because my current batch is a little too sweet, and is under-vinegared and under-spiced, I've mainly been adding it to tomato sauces when I've been cooking ... though it's perfect for a samosa dipping sauce. That is, about a tablespoon of ketchup plus half a teaspoon of ground, roasted cumin, and a quarter teaspoon of chilli powder. That's a good dip when it's made with commercial ketchup, too ... it's a bit vigorous, but I do like chilli, and don't smother the samosa with it .. just a touch with each bite.

Section 17 uploaded.

Total so far, approx. 1:13:54

Peter
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 17 is PL OK!

It sounds to me like you are quite comfortable in the kitchen. I have a few meals that I cook with regularity, but my main kitchen activity (aside from doing the dishes) is baking bread. I used to use a bread machine, but discovered that I can get much better flavor if I do the work by hand because with lean breads (ie, only flour, water, yeast, salt, and maybe a little oil), flavor development is all about controlling time and temperature. And a bread machine really only saves hand kneading, which is maybe 10 or 15 minutes of the whole process and really not that big a deal.
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Tom,

There are lots of things I've never attempted in the kitchen; I, too, have a fairly small range of things that I cook. I do usually make my own bread ... sourdough at the moment, though the unpredictable timing of the various stages causes problems. And my oven is gas-heated, so the temperature is difficult to control and temperature distribution is poor. I have a friend who uses a bread machine; although I do occasionally kid him about him not getting his hands dirty, I do envy him the crust that he gets on his loaves. All I ever manage is a hard dry crust, where he gets a lovely glossy, thin, crisp crust.

Section 18 uploaded.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 19 uploaded.

Total so far, approx. 1:29:08

Peter
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Section 18 is PL OK!
Section 19 is PL OK!

Sourdough. I've tried to do sourdough several times, all with no real success. I can't seem to grow a starter with any vigor. I blame the bugs on (or not on) the flour I buy and in the air I breathe. It CAN'T be my technique, surely. :)

Section 19 didn't live up to my expectations -- I don't mean your reading, which is impeccable, but the content. I was expecting more on the bugs and less on the chemistry. I am impressed with the way words like "haemacytometer" trip lightly off your tongue. One would almost think it is part of your everyday speaking vocabulary.
Tom Penn
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Tom; one thing that does puzzle me is the "cyclone", which he refers to quite often but, as far as I can remember, he hasn't described.

I've not had any trouble with sourdough starters. You can buy a dried San Francisco starter online (which I did, out of curiosity, and it works quite well, but is a little slow to get going). One of the authors that I've read mentions using bottled water to get your starter going, as chlorination may affect the bacteria and yeast in the early stages. But whole-grain rye flour and warm water get bubbling incredibly quickly ... within three (what I think of as) passes ... three additions of extra flour and water ... three days. Then you can use that to start your wheat starter, which will quickly develop its own culture of organisms.

The simplest and most straightforward book that I've encountered on sourdough is "Do Sourdough - Slow bread for busy lives" by Andrew Whitley.

The scientific terms *are* part of my vocabulary, as I worked in a medical laboratory for around twenty years. Those lovely multisyllabic words are like poetry.

Running total: 1:29:08

EDIT: Despite the last section being headed "structure of the tomato", this seems to be where the details of the microbiological investigations are given. There's a scan of the original book on archive.org, but it, too, has the wrong heading, so we'll have to stick with it.

Peter