[Complete] Celebrated Women Travelers of the Nineteenth Century by W.H.Davenport Adams - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
paigealihar

Post by paigealihar »

Hello! May I read section 1: Countess Dora D'Istria? I would like my name as Paige Harris.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

paigealihar wrote: September 26th, 2018, 8:02 pm Hello! May I read section 1: Countess Dora D'Istria? I would like my name as Paige Harris.
Hi Paige and welcome.
I see you have completed your one minute test :thumbs:
I will sign you up for section 1. Please be sure to read the first post and ask if you have questions.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 19 - Mrs. Trollope

There is just one issue I found with this. The silence at the end of the recording is about 33.5s and should be about 5s. Perfect otherwise. Thank you!
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
ellies

Post by ellies »

afutterer wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:18 am PL NOTES:

There is just one issue I found with this. The silence at the end of the recording is about 33.5s and should be about 5s. Perfect otherwise. Thank you!
thanks for checking.
oops!
corrected now!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_19_adams_128kb.mp3

ellies
"The pure joy of reading and sharing with others, must never be taken for granted"- Elaine Conway 2018
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ellies wrote: September 28th, 2018, 11:51 pm
afutterer wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:18 am PL NOTES:

thanks for checking.
oops!
corrected now!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_19_adams_128kb.mp3

ellies
Thank you.
Nappateez

Post by Nappateez »

Hello! I would like to take section 13 ('Madame de Bourboulon')
I also wondered if the footnotes need to be read and if yes -- how should they be included in the text?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Nappateez wrote: September 30th, 2018, 2:29 am Hello! I would like to take section 13 ('Madame de Bourboulon')
I also wondered if the footnotes need to be read and if yes -- how should they be included in the text?
Thank you for claiming.
There is no hard and fast rule on footnotes. I personally don't like to include them. If they say something like "see page 18", they are of no use in an audiobook. If they add useful of interesting information (and that's subjective), why were they not useful or interesting enough to add into the main text? That said, often they do get included and there is no harm in that as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow too much.
The correct way to treat them is at the end of the sentence or paragraph, say "footnote … end footnote"

FYI, the footnotes are not included in the word count.

Lynne
Nappateez

Post by Nappateez »

Lynnet wrote: September 30th, 2018, 7:32 am
Thank you for claiming.
There is no hard and fast rule on footnotes. I personally don't like to include them. If they say something like "see page 18", they are of no use in an audiobook. If they add useful of interesting information (and that's subjective), why were they not useful or interesting enough to add into the main text? That said, often they do get included and there is no harm in that as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow too much.
The correct way to treat them is at the end of the sentence or paragraph, say "footnote … end footnote"

FYI, the footnotes are not included in the word count.

Lynne
I understood. Thank you!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
msfry

Post by msfry »

I would like to claim Section 9, please.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

msfry wrote: October 25th, 2018, 3:16 pm I would like to claim Section 9, please.
All yours!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 9 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_09_adams_128kb.mp3 50:42

The descriptions of the boats gliding along the African rivers, with hippos, snakes, turtles and birds, sweeping sunsets, giraffes and elephants in the distance, etc., must have thrilled readers. Now, thanks to National Geographic and movie cameras, we get to see all this on TV!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

msfry wrote: October 29th, 2018, 7:29 am Section 9 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_09_adams_128kb.mp3 50:42

The descriptions of the boats gliding along the African rivers, with hippos, snakes, turtles and birds, sweeping sunsets, giraffes and elephants in the distance, etc., must have thrilled readers. Now, thanks to National Geographic and movie cameras, we get to see all this on TV!
Thank you
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I would like to do 3, 4 and 5. Any advice about the pronunciation of the last name? I failed to find it on-line. I am thinking what de Hell. Also, I didn't see any instructions about footnotes. I am assuming we will ignore, no? Jim :mrgreen:
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Hereis Section 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/womentravellers_03_adams_128kb.mp3 48.67 KB

51:55

Jim 8-)
I saw the discussion about footnotes. I didn't include them.