COMPLETE Marion Harland's Complete Etiquette -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Betty! I PL'd your wonderful recordings tonight - very well done! Just one small edit needs to be done please -

1:08 – I heard “find an interesting groan" – text reads "find an answering groan"

34 PL OK

35 PL OK

Have a great day!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

BettyB wrote: March 16th, 2018, 9:12 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_39_harland_128kb.mp3
Time is 9:8

Betty

Words fail me on this chapter....

I did not read the paragraph headers. Is this something you wanted?
Hi Betty! Great recording! Section 39 is PL-OK!

Lynda
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Lmnei wrote: March 28th, 2018, 8:39 pmThe beginning of the recording needs to start between .5 and 1 second - you are right on 1 second. The end of the recording needs 5 seconds of silence - you only have 4 seconds so that needs to be extended please.
Hi lynda, thank you for listening!

I have one comment on your note i quoted above. There is a common misunderstanding about the instructions about the silence at the beginning of a recording. It should read as "do not leave too much silence at the start of the recording!" It does not need to be exactly between half and one second. I personally ok sections with up to two or three seconds.

Same with end silence, it needs not be exactly between 4.5 and 5.5 seconds. Again, i personally still give my ok if it is between 3 and 7 seconds.

The silences are not all that important. It is good not to let the listener think their device is broken if they have to wait so long between pressing start and hearing a voice. If is also good to have a little break between sections, for which around 5 seconds seems just right to most if us, but a heartbeat more or less is fine too.

Thank you!
Carolin
snarkychaser

Post by snarkychaser »

To : Lynda Thanks for PL notes. I seem to have a discrepancy in time from Audacity and upload I have 16:50 from audacity

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_03_harland_128kb.mp3

Laura
Laura
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Thanks for the note Carolin -

Well you learn something new everyday! I now know that I do not have to be exact on the seconds before and after the recording!

Is this something common to all people who PL?

The reason why I ask is that I have gotten feedback previously that my recording at the end was less than 5 seconds and you mention it can be 3 - 7 seconds.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

snarkychaser wrote: March 29th, 2018, 9:12 am To : Lynda Thanks for PL notes. I seem to have a discrepancy in time from Audacity and upload I have 16:50 from audacity

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_03_harland_128kb.mp3

Laura
Perfect editing Laura! This is now PL OK.

Lynda
snarkychaser

Post by snarkychaser »

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/completeetiquette_05_harland_128kb.mp3

Here is section 5 .This was very hard to do...for the most part I did this in one sitting and it still sounded like the voice came from different directions...It sounded fine on my speakers but not so great on my noise cancelling headphones. I did some voice over edits which worked out OK...I tried to normalize and equalize this and I think it helped. If not, I will have to read the whole thing over. Please advise. Thanks.

Laura
Laura
snarkychaser

Post by snarkychaser »

PS section 5 is 13:36.

Laura
Laura
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Laura -

I have already listened to Section 5. I will have to wait until Carolin updates the Magic Window though until I can mark it that I have reviewed it.

Two things need to be done from a reading standpoint -

1.36 remove “towards” in the middle of “advances to her”
add more time to the end of the recording - it is just over 2 seconds and Carolin told us it needs to be 3-7 seconds please.

As for the actual sound of the recording you are right - it did vary quite a bit. At times it was hard making out your words if I was not reading along. What kind of microphone are you using? Is it a lapel mic? It does not sound like it is a headset. It did sound like you were moving your head around a bit when recording or perhaps you are reading from the screen and your head is changing position as you read down the page.
There is also some background noise at times and the room you are in sounds hollow or empty. I know when I visit my friend in the USA (I live in Canada) that the room I record in at her house makes my recordings sound more hollow there as the ceiling is higher. I wear a stereo headset that has a recording mic built into it and I find that has been the best arrangement for myself when recording and getting a good consistent sound. I hope this helps!

Lynda
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all! :thumbs:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Lmnei wrote: March 29th, 2018, 10:31 am Thanks for the note Carolin -

Well you learn something new everyday! I now know that I do not have to be exact on the seconds before and after the recording!

Is this something common to all people who PL?

The reason why I ask is that I have gotten feedback previously that my recording at the end was less than 5 seconds and you mention it can be 3 - 7 seconds.

Lynda
Well, it depends. Not all proof listeners apply the same standards though we try for some consistency. I am personally a more lenient pl than others may be. And with the silence it is difficult. If it is 3 or 7 seconds i usually mention it to the reader for future recordings, but i only ask them to edit it up or down closer to 5 seconds if i have another pl note. If they are going back to their recording to make an edit anyway, they might as well also edit the silence while theyre at it. But if the recording is otherwise pl ok i dont bother, it doesnt seem to me worth it to make a reader go back only to edit an ending silence to extend or cut it by 1.5 or 2 seconds.

Proof listening has a lot to do with fingertip feeling, as you know yourself of course. We try to reach a high quality of recording while we at the same time try not to demand unreasonable perfection from readers.

But id emphasise that there is no uniform standard. You will probably want to be more lenient with newbies than with experienced readers, more strict in poetry where each incorrect syllable changes the meter, and more lenient in a romance novel. This comes with experience :)
Carolin
snarkychaser

Post by snarkychaser »

Lmnei wrote: March 29th, 2018, 6:06 pm Hi Laura -

I have already listened to Section 5. I will have to wait until Carolin updates the Magic Window though until I can mark it that I have reviewed it.

Two things need to be done from a reading standpoint -

1.36 remove “towards” in the middle of “advances to her”
add more time to the end of the recording - it is just over 2 seconds and Carolin told us it needs to be 3-7 seconds please.

As for the actual sound of the recording you are right - it did vary quite a bit. At times it was hard making out your words if I was not reading along. What kind of microphone are you using? Is it a lapel mic? It does not sound like it is a headset. It did sound like you were moving your head around a bit when recording or perhaps you are reading from the screen and your head is changing position as you read down the page.
There is also some background noise at times and the room you are in sounds hollow or empty. I know when I visit my friend in the USA (I live in Canada) that the room I record in at her house makes my recordings sound more hollow there as the ceiling is higher. I wear a stereo headset that has a recording mic built into it and I find that has been the best arrangement for myself when recording and getting a good consistent sound. I hope this helps!

Lynda

Lynda, I am experimenting with this...Is this how I reply to you? Anyway, I think that I will try to redo section 5 again. I spent hours editing and it still is not up to my "standards". Let me try again. As to mic it is a very good Yetti (recommended by my gamer son). Mic was is the same place as sections 3 and 4. I read off of a hard copy and not screen....so I can keep close to face. I also have a foam cube to absorb sound (and mat for mic). Let me find something to place mic on to raise it closer to my mouth. I use a headset for my phone (because I have an injured neck and am big fan) so I will absolutely try it if my second take does not work. Will this hold us up? I will try to work quickly.
Laura
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Laura -

Yes you are replying just fine to the messages. :clap: Lets let Carolin decide whether you need to re-record or not. Personally i do not think so. I was just providing some feedback as you asked for it about the recording and its sound.

I too have problems with my neck and i find that wearing a headset is WAY easier than having a mic on a table in front of me. Also, due to my disability, I am sometimes lying down when recording, and a headset just works way better. The mic on a headset you can always adjust to be in front of your mouth no matter your position. :D

Lynda
BettyB

Post by BettyB »