COMPLETE: Birds and Nature, Vol X, November 1901 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

mlapre wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 8:24 pm Hi Jo,

I just recorded my 1 minute test. I used audacity, a windows operating system, and a USB mic.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/test_mlapre.mp3

I would like to be listed as Maureen Lapre in the catalog. I don't have a personal website and I am having fun!

Thanks,
Maureen
Hi Maureen. Here is my feedback on your test recording.

First of all the volume is too low. We aim for 89 db, and this recording is only 81 db. There are two ways to fix this. One would be to simply amplify by about 8 db after recording. The other is to try and increase the input volume on your microphone. I would recommend trying the latter first, since there is some background noise in this recording (my guess would be it's coming from your computer fan), and that would be amplified along with the rest of the recording. Therefore, please try increasing the mic input volume either in Audacity or in the Sounds and Audio section of the Control Panel. This adjustment will also help increase the signal to noise with regard to the background.

To judge whether you have the volume set correctly, your waveform intensity in Audacity should look similar to this example:

To adjust in Audacity, use the microphone slider in the upper right corner of the tool bar. To adjust the settings in Windows, go to the Sound settings in the Control Panel, click the Recording tab, then select your microphone and click properties. Select the Levels tab and use the slider to increase the input level.

Second, this test was exported as a variable bitrate mp3. LibriVox needs files uploaded as 128kbps constant bitrate mp3. When you save you file as mp3 in Audacity, in the Export Audio window, under the format options, be sure you have checked the radio button for Constant bit rate and select 128 kbps for quality.

Finally, if you can't reduce the background noise at the source, you may wish to reduce the background noise a little. Instructions can be found at the link below

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

The goal is to reduce the background without distorting your voice so don't overdo it.

This may sound like a lot, but it really is easy to fix. Once you have made the above changes, you can upload another test for a final OK. :)
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

neurobamf wrote: March 5th, 2018, 12:02 am @knotyouraveragejo,
I have uploaded a testing sample to make sure everything is ready for me to start recording.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/Testing_Recording_Equipment.mp3

Thanks,
Carla Howard
Hi Carla. I've listened to your test. A couple of things to fix before you start recording.

First this recording is stereo. We need a mono recording. That's an easy fix, but it would help if you could tell me what recording software you are using. If it is Audacity, then under the Edit Menu, select Preferences, then Devices. Select your microphone as the recording device and set channels to 1(Mono).

Second, the volume on this recording is at the upper end of our target range so I would recommend either deamplifying by 3 db or lowering the input levels on your microphone. It also sounds like this was recorded on a public address system in a large empty hall. Are you using any room effects or adding reverb? If so, it's not generally recommended for LibriVox recordings.

Not important for your test file, but when you do start recording, filenames should be all lower case.

Please try another 1-Minute Test
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Larry, sections 6, 15 & 24 are PL OK.
[mw updated]
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
SopranoRachel

Post by SopranoRachel »

I'll take 2, 4, 5, and 11 to finish it out. I can't resist the bird ones!
Rachel
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks, Rachel. 2,4,5 & 11 are all yours.
Jo
mlapre

Post by mlapre »

Hi Jo,

Thanks for the notes. I think I've made all the corrections. Here is my second audio test https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/test_mlapre.mp3

Maureen
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Here is section 3, ready for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsandnaturenov1901_03_various_128kb.mp3 17:18

Thank you!

P.S. Jo, we could move to Readers Found... :wink:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks to the latest winter storm, I have been offline for 24 h (no power or internet). Will get caught up over the next couple of days.
Jo
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you tovarisch, section 3 is PL OK.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thank you David! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

mlapre wrote: March 7th, 2018, 5:38 pm Hi Jo,

Thanks for the notes. I think I've made all the corrections. Here is my second audio test https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/test_mlapre.mp3

Maureen
Sorry for the delay in responding, Maureen. You are good to go and your reading is terrific! :D Just be aware that your volume is now at the top edge of our target range (91.6) so be careful not to let it go any higher. You could even back off just a little if you want.
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here's section 22 on the Giraffe, with 10:52
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/birdsandnaturenov1901_22_various_128kb.mp3

What is it that they all want to hunt those animals? At least they say that this one can be eaten... :roll:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks, Ava. MW updated.
Jo
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Ava, section 22 is Pl OK.
David Lawrence