COMPLETE Wishing Horse of Oz-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth,

Have you removed the watermark from the file(s)? I'd like to get this in the catalog (as I'm sure you would too).

MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

No - I didn't realize a final decision had been made on this issue? The last comment I see on this thread was that admin was waiting on Hugh's opinion.

I hadn't heard any final result so I haven't made any changes.

Are you now telling me that the admin decision to ban watermarks has been made and that I have to remove the watermarks?

If there is no final admin decision to ban watermarks yet, I'd rather wait on that decision than put this solo into the catalogue without anything. I don't do many solos so I'm not in a rush.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth,

I have taken this post as "no watermarks". I'm not aware of any admin viewing it differently.

viewtopic.php?p=1490536#p1490536

MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I had been expecting some kind of definitive policy statement from admin as a group.

The watermarks are not technically adding anything to the text - it's just the Librivox disclaimer again, using the usual recommended wording as it appears in every project template.

If Librivox decides to make a policy banning soloists from using watermarks to protect their work from commercial use, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect Librivox to state this specifically, as it does not seem to me to be covered under a general "no text alterations" policy. I think we can all agree that watermarks are a different case from editorial commentary or text editing.

I will also point out that the work is still completely in the public domain! It isn't "public domain mostly" - it is totally and definitely in the public domain. It is just not suitable for commercial exploitation. Graphic design artists and photographers have been watermarking their work for a long time - it is generally accepted in those fields. It is a new idea in this space, so I was waiting patiently for the admin discussion behind the scenes to run its course and produce an official and considered policy.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm. I don't think the official policy was ever communicated. No, we won't allow "vocal watermarks." So Section 18 needs it removed before this can be cataloged. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Chapter 18 is uploaded! It's the same file with the watermark removed so it probably doesn't need a completely new PL, perhaps if someone could just listen to the first minute, that's where the watermark was. (I didn't actually alter the file itself though, the watermark was in a separate track which I simply deleted, so if you think we are OK for the catalogue without a PL at all, that should be fine too!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wishinghorse_18_thompson_128kb.mp3

I can reupload the other watermarked chapters if you really want me to, but actually the files should already all be on the server. They are the previous versions of Chapters 1, 2, 6, 16 and 20. The files themselves were all previously PL OK - I just added the watermark in a separate track and reuploaded the same file, so the old ones (assuming they are still in your folder) are all the previously PL OK files, no watermark.

If you need me to reupload, I'll need to redo the files, as I overwrote the old ones on my computer with the watermarked version. Ooops.

Then we will be done! I was inspired by March cleanup month to finish this - it's been sitting on my computer waiting for me to fix it for a while now... :oops:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 18 OK

Chapters 1, 2, 6, and 16 were there and easy to find. 20 was too - just named differently so it was harder to find. :)

All are PL OK, and the links in the MW point to the un-watermarked files. MaryAnn - this is ready to catalog! :clap:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Tricia and Beth!

I'll get the cataloging started this morning.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-wishing-horse-of-oz-by-ruth-plumly-thompson/