COMPLETE[PLAY]Wappin' Wharf by Charles S. Brooks - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“a mix between British RP (my natural accent), Northern Irish, and Cockney

Well, at least now we know your grog recipe. :mrgreen:

Equal parts Beefeaters, Bushmills, and “sherbet”.

Though I can just hear the bartender asking me: “Are you going to drink this, Sir, or take it home and rub it on your chest?”

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

leanneyauyau wrote: March 28th, 2018, 9:16 am All done. Just a warning: my pirate accent is terrible. It sounds like a mix between British RP (my natural accent), Northern Irish, and Cockney :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappingwharf_captain_1.mp3 3.92 KB Clear
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappingwharf_captain_2.mp3 5.30 KB Clear
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappingwharf_captain_3.mp3
Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote: March 28th, 2018, 9:16 amAll done. Just a warning: my pirate accent is terrible. It sounds like a mix between British RP (my natural accent), Northern Irish, and Cockney :lol:
8-) I liked the accent, and also your boisterous way of talking. I also think I detect a slight drift towards tipsiness as the evening progresses, by the more pronounced slur in your voice in the third act. Nice touch :thumbs:

Acts 2 and 3 are already PL ok

One missed line in Act 1 though:

> at about 4:08: ALL: Here 's to ol' Flint! – this toast is proposed by the Duke, so the Captain will surely join in the chorus

there are three other ALL-lines in Acts 1 and 3, but there the Captain is proposing the toast himself, so I think he would not repeat it again with the others. In my opinion, you don't have to say those lines, so I left them out of my notes.

thanks

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

super, thanks. This last line will sound great in a merged toast ! I can really see you raising your glass. PL ok.

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

There were jest one too many potaters in the pot!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_patch_1_128kb.mp3

I gave this one final listen, so I hope I didn't miss anything important. I almost made myself cry listenin' to poor ole Patch pourin' out his leetle heart to Darlin. :cry:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: April 12th, 2018, 8:18 amI gave this one final listen, so I hope I didn't miss anything important. I almost made myself cry listenin' to poor ole Patch pourin' out his leetle heart to Darlin. :cry:
I agree...I stifled down a few sobs as well when I listened to this heartfelt performance, Larry. You are a pirate at heart, it seems. And it sounds like you practiced your lines after a bottle of rum to get into character :mrgreen: Poor Patch :(

excellently portrayed and almost complete. Unfortunately you missed one tiny line (one single word):

> at about 12:38: please insert: "Smash !"

the rest: perfect :thumbs: looking forward to the other two acts.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here is Red Joe, reportin' fer duty!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_redjoe_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_redjoe_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wappinwharf_redjoe_3.mp3

Sonia, I really really really hope I made the "big reveal" at the right moment. :? I decided to gradually cast off my pirate voice towards the end of Act 3 so that it is not too sudden for the listener. Onstage it is much easier to know who Joe is by his face, but here we only have his voice, so I thought it best to "transform" him into the regal character that he really is. Let me know if I made the right call, and at the right moment.
Tomas Peter
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on April 14th, 2018, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

what's happening here ? All the pirates ganging up on me ? :shock:

Will PL soon ! Looking forward to both :)

Thanks

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

I'd like to get some advice with Darlin's character. I first attempted to record her cockney and it turned out a mix of cockney, Scottish, and hillbilly (with an emphasis on hillbilly :wink: ). So I recorded the whole thing in a sort of hillbilly/country slang (which sounds funny, but doesn't quite fit with the location of the play :lol: ). If I decide to stick with this dialect, I would need to pronounce the "h" cuz it sounds strange to have a hillbilly trying to sound cockney! Aaaah, dilemmas, dilemmas... Any thoughts? I was thinking of giving cockney another go... or maybe do the whole thing Scottish... :help:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: April 14th, 2018, 5:40 am I first attempted to record her cockney and it turned out a mix of cockney, Scottish, and hillbilly (with an emphasis on hillbilly :wink: ).
:lol: whichever of the three you like to go with, I'm all for it and highly interested to hear this. As for location, don't worry about sounding "in the wrong place". For all we know Darlin' spent her youth somewhere completely else. Or she spent so much time with her pirates who came from all over the place that her accent is more than tainted by the mix.

Just do what you are most comfortable with and if that turns out a complete mixture of "cockscotbilly", then this will surely enhance my listening pleasure. :9:

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: April 14th, 2018, 5:57 am
benderca wrote: April 14th, 2018, 5:40 am I first attempted to record her cockney and it turned out a mix of cockney, Scottish, and hillbilly (with an emphasis on hillbilly :wink: ).
:lol: whichever of the three you like to go with, I'm all for it and highly interested to hear this. As for location, don't worry about sounding "in the wrong place". For all we know Darlin' spent her youth somewhere completely else. Or she spent so much time with her pirates who came from all over the place that her accent is more than tainted by the mix.

Just do what you are most comfortable with and if that turns out a complete mixture of "cockscotbilly", then this will surely enhance my listening pleasure. :9:

Sonia
"cockscotbilly" - I'm loving this!!! ha ha ha ha (rolling on the floor) ha ha ha ha! That might just be what you'll get! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: April 13th, 2018, 5:04 pm Sonia, I really really really hope I made the "big reveal" at the right moment. :? I decided to gradually cast off my pirate voice towards the end of Act 3 so that it is not too sudden for the listener. Onstage it is much easier to know who Joe is by his face, but here we only have his voice, so I thought it best to "transform" him into the regal character that he really is. Let me know if I made the right call, and at the right moment.
Tomas, all of Red Joe is PL ok. :thumbs:

I must admit I was highly surprised by your rough voice when you started up. I was thinking, despite his pirate alias, he might still be the softest spoken of all the bunch. That's why they so easily suspected he wouldn't belong to them. But in retrospect, I think you made the right call in giving him more of a voice that would fit in. And yes, you subtly changed throughout the acts and so the listeners will know what is happening at the end. And even as King Harry you keep a sort of rougher voice, only a bit more refined in his vocabulary :lol: so it's not that drastic a change.

The only thing one might consider is the speech at the end of Act 1 (starting at 4:49). He seems to be musing all alone while all the others are already in bed. Maybe he would have had a less gruff voice then. But maybe not, for fear of being overheard. So I guess it's good as it is.

All in all: excellent performance. Great. :9:

Sonia