COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 011-thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: June 28th, 2018, 2:04 am lol! I actually had to ask Jasmin to read that line a second time a little further away from the mic -- in her first take she screamed indignantly into the mic, popping all sound barriers! ha ha!
thanks for sparing my ears ! :lol:

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to release my claim on Enid Birdsall in Bridges again... :( I didn't realise when I claimed it that it isn't PD for me! :cry:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 9:28 pm Note: In the published script, there is a letter from former President Theodore Roosevelt approving of the production of the play. It was not, to my knowledge ever made a part of the production, however, I wonder if a way can be found to include it at the front of the play. I realize this project is a dramatic one, not a historical one, nonetheless, it is a unique endorsement of this work. If it is included, I intend to read it myself which would make the number of roles--5. This role could be styled Historical narrator. I will, of course, abide by whatever decision is reached regarding the inclusion of TR's letter.
Good news, Philip, Michele just PMed me and she also thinks that the letter is a great addition to the play. So I'll include that part in the MW and sign you up for it. :) Would you want to read ONLY the letter or do you see it as part of the Narrator's duty ? (often it is the Narrator who reads such introductions)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: June 29th, 2018, 9:43 am I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to release my claim on Enid Birdsall in Bridges again... :( I didn't realise when I claimed it that it isn't PD for me! :cry:
aww I'm sorry, Foon. I'll release the claim again. Maybe you find another role to your liking in one of the other plays ?

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Foon wrote: June 29th, 2018, 9:43 am I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to release my claim on Enid Birdsall in Bridges again... :( I didn't realise when I claimed it that it isn't PD for me! :cry:
No worries. Thanks for letting me know. :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Kitty wrote: June 29th, 2018, 12:02 pm
DrPGould wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 9:28 pm Note: In the published script, there is a letter from former President Theodore Roosevelt approving of the production of the play. It was not, to my knowledge ever made a part of the production, however, I wonder if a way can be found to include it at the front of the play. I realize this project is a dramatic one, not a historical one, nonetheless, it is a unique endorsement of this work. If it is included, I intend to read it myself which would make the number of roles--5. This role could be styled Historical narrator. I will, of course, abide by whatever decision is reached regarding the inclusion of TR's letter.
Good news, Philip, Michele just PMed me and she also thinks that the letter is a great addition to the play. So I'll include that part in the MW and sign you up for it. :) Would you want to read ONLY the letter or do you see it as part of the Narrator's duty ? (often it is the Narrator who reads such introductions)

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia and thank you, Michele for your consideration. When I first wrote the above, I had intended only to read the letter. My reasoning was that it was separate from the play (and is separated in the script as well.) Upon further reflection, however, there is no reason that the narrator couldn't read the letter. So there's no need to create an additional section. I did not intend to read in this project (other than the letter) so we'll wait and see what cast we get (I can't do TR's high squeaky voice anyway).

The original of the play was written as an article (in the form of a script) for the Strand Magazine in 1917 entitled "Blood and Iron." The author's polished it up a little and then produced it on the stage.

We're good to move forward.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote: June 29th, 2018, 1:16 pmWhen I first wrote the above, I had intended only to read the letter. My reasoning was that it was separate from the play (and is separated in the script as well.) Upon further reflection, however, there is no reason that the narrator couldn't read the letter. So there's no need to create an additional section. I did not intend to read in this project (other than the letter) so we'll wait and see what cast we get (I can't do TR's high squeaky voice anyway).
ok so for the moment I have included a note that the narrator should also read the letter. The play sounds interesting, as it is a very early mention of a robot somehow or an android.

Sonia
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Something on the order of an early 20th Century robocop set against the critical year of the Great War.

Thanks, Kitty.

Philip
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

DrPGould wrote: June 30th, 2018, 9:15 am Something on the order of an early 20th Century robocop set against the critical year of the Great War.

Thanks, Kitty.

Philip
I think I might have added this to the Sci-Fi master list a while back. It looks fun. Any particular role you trying to fill? :-)
PROJECTS
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Chuck:

I'd be happy to have you read any role you wish! I don't think these will be too difficult to fill, but one never knows.

Many thanks,

Philip
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ChuckW wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 12:44 pm The revised Basil:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/food_basil_demille.mp3
Excellent, thank you! PL ok now!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: July 5th, 2018, 8:36 am Excellent, thank you! PL ok now!
MW updated :)

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Could I claim the narrator for Chitra?

It would be my first time reading a narrator role. If I understand it correctly, I'd need to include
- The general opening/ending bits of the recording
- Any stage directions (although I noticed that there are barely any of those in this play!)

Questions:
- Should the narrator also read the preface?
- For the list of characters, does the narrator read any of the names in the list, or will that all be filled with the characters' voice credits?
- Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Cheers,
Foon
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks for claiming the narrator, Foon :)

to answer your questions:
If I understand it correctly, I'd need to include
- The general opening/ending bits of the recording
- Any stage directions (although I noticed that there are barely any of those in this play!)
yes, correct. Also leave plenty of editing space (2-3 seconds) between each stage direction.

If the directions are at the beginning of the sentence, please include the name of the character. If they appear inside a sentence, do not include the name.

an example to illustrate this:

John (opening his eyes): What time is it ? (checks watch) I'm late !

here you would have to say: "John, opening his eyes" - 2 seconds pause - "checks watch"
- Should the narrator also read the preface?
this depends on whether the BC wants the preface included. Very often we don't, but I let Nastya answer this one. :)
For the list of characters, does the narrator read any of the names in the list, or will that all be filled with the characters' voice credits?
yes usually the voice credits of the readers get taken in the end, but it's always recommendable for the narrator to give all the voice credits, so that in case one reader vanishes without the voice credit, it can be substituted by the narrator's voice. So: record the whole list in the beginning of the file: "Chitra, read by" - 2 seconds pause - "Madana read by" - 2 seconds pause - etc. Also don't forget to include your own credit: "stage directions, read by Foon" ;)
- Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
no I think that is all :)

Have fun !

Sonia