[COMPLETE] King Lear by William Shakespeare - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, this went faster than I thought, so I propose to do 5.1. as well.

For now, here is 1.3.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_1_3.mp3
Recording time: 1:43 min.

This is a gender-bender if ever there was one :lol: Tomas so desperately trying to be female while I am desperately trying to be male. :mrgreen: But it works great in this scene. I like the inter-action between Goneril and Oswald.

Ready for PL :)

onto the next scene....

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and one of the bigger scenes with loads of characters. We all sound great assembled. A pity Craig is not in this scene. But he'll be there for the grand finale.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_5_1.mp3
Recording time: 4:56 min.

A couple of things to mention here, Tomas:

1) I changed the place of the first stage direction, to the beginning of Edmund's speech. Are you ok with that ? I figured it makes more sense to say immediately who he is talking to. Or do you think we need the stage direction break before Regan starts with her sigh ?

2) I left both "Goneril, aside", because I think it is not so clear otherwise that you did an aside. I don't think it breaks the flow that much, ok with that as well ?

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_lear_3_2.mp3 3:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_lear_3_4.mp3 5:06

A couple more for me. It's not easy being mad you know!! Baahh

By the way, I'm living in Devon, a full 20 miles from Cornwall and I have to go over a bridge.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Sounds like my Albany voice was too close to my narrator voice.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: February 25th, 2018, 7:30 amBy the way, I'm living in Devon, a full 20 miles from Cornwall and I have to go over a bridge.
but you used to live in Cornwall or am I mistaken ? :hmm: 20 miles still counts :mrgreen:

Will listen to Mad Lear soon....and I DO know about being mad, don't forget I had to play Edgar :?
Hamlet wrote:Sounds like my Albany voice was too close to my narrator voice.

no don't worry about that, Brad. The narrator is well defined and apart from the rest of the play, the audience will notice when someone is acting and when it's "only" a stage direction.

Wait, does this mean you listened to 5.1. and checked against the original text to give it a PL ok ? Just asking, so that Tomas will not have to do the work twice.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

I listened because I was curious how a scene sounds when it's all put together. I didn't think of following along in the text, I admit. Perhaps I should do it again.

By the way, am I expected to edit scenes too? Because I've never tried that before, except with projects I did on my own. A year or so ago I attempted a solo reading of "Twelfth Night," though I only got up until about halfway through Act One, scene five before abandoning it. I have no idea how to change someone else's file to a format I can edit. I suspect it's simple to do, but I don't know how.

I'm going to finish my Kent scenes later today. I've been considering how to do the speech where he lists off a long stream of nothing but insults directed as Oswald! That speech puts all other Shakespearean insults to shame! lol

Brad
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_lear_3_6.mp3 2:59

One more.

I have one daughter in Cornwall......It's just one spooky coincidence after another!!!!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: February 25th, 2018, 7:51 amI listened because I was curious how a scene sounds when it's all put together. I didn't think of following along in the text, I admit. Perhaps I should do it again.
well, I am mostly the DPL for this all, but the scenes that I edit together I always prefer someone else to check as well, just to be sure. So anyone can volunteer, just mention it in the thread so the work is not done twice. To PL only listen to it all and check against the text that I didn't miss anything or put it in the wrong spot.
By the way, am I expected to edit scenes too?
for the moment I manage quite well. But yes, if in the end, more scenes come in at the same time, I would never refuse help from anyone. In the other Shakespeare small group plays, we shared the editing job among us all. Again, I note in the MW if a scene is ready to edit, and people post when they want to take care of one scene.
I have no idea how to change someone else's file to a format I can edit. I suspect it's simple to do, but I don't know how.
you are using Audacity, right ? It is indeed simple. Download the mp3 file from the MW, then in Audacity, go to File - Open - and choose the mp3 file. And Audacity will convert it back into an Audacity file, which you can cut out and edit together as you please.

I usually do it this way:

1) download all the characters from one section/ scene
2) open them all in seperate Audacity windows
3) use the Narrator file and save is as kinglear_1_3 (for scene 1.3. for example)
4) start reading along with the text, let the narrator run. Once the first character speaks their lines, for example Goneril, go to the Goneril file, cut out the first speech and paste it in the first spot in the Narrator file. Then go to Oswald file, cut out the first speech and paste it after Goneril, then maybe the narrator says something again, and so on.
5) in the end listen to it all again, and adjust silent spaces in between so it sounds good

Oh sometimes, like with your Albany in 5.1., I first decrease the volume of one entire file, so the sound is almost the same for all of the speakers.

It's a bit of fiddling around and I already had 12 characters open in one scene once :shock: that's a bit of a logistic nightmare (it took me two hours to assemble I think), but if one is organised, conscientious and has time and patience, then it actually isn't that difficult. It's basically only a copy/paste job.

If you want to try it once, I would suggest starting with a short scene with only two or three characters. Craig started out that way as well in the last project and he did excellently.

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

That's sort of what I did in my attempt at Twelfth Night except that all the files were on Audacity to begin with, of course. I even overlapped the dialog on occasion, and when Sir Toby enters into a scene drunk I had him wheezing and moaning under the other characters' dialog. In a couple places I even added sound effects--such as when Viola gives the sea captain some money, I jingled some coins.

Of course, I realize that THIS project shouldn't have overlapping dialog or sound effects.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: February 25th, 2018, 8:12 amThat's sort of what I did in my attempt at Twelfth Night except that all the files were on Audacity to begin with, of course.
yes I think that is how it usually is done.

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_corwall_1_1.mp3 0.08 :thumbs:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_corwall_2_1.mp3 1:02

The first couple of Cornwall. Happy to redo if not what we are looking for. He is a nasty bit of work and a Cornish accent is really pleasant and so doesn't really work.

I also noticed comments about helping with editing etc. I would love to do this, but I'm not good at multi tasking and want to complete the recording first.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Well, I'll try anything once. Perhaps I should start with 3_1 since it's just Kent and the Gentleman. I'll be doing the Kent part later today, so it's just a matter of waiting for the Gentleman part.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: February 25th, 2018, 8:25 am The first couple of Cornwall.
ah I see he is called cor-wall for some reason :mrgreen: not a problem, Craig ! Happy to listen to it soon but I need to finish Lear first
I also noticed comments about helping with editing etc. I would love to do this, but I'm not good at multi tasking and want to complete the recording first.
I totally agree, guys, finish your recordings without stress first. The scenes that are ready to edit are few and far between at the moment.

Once you are done and everything happens at the same time, and I can't manage, then I will ask for help here in the thread and then it would be great if each of us could edit a scene, or help with PLing my edited scenes.

But first: the recordings. I have done mine and have time to do the editing for the time being. No worries.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote: February 25th, 2018, 8:28 am Well, I'll try anything once. Perhaps I should start with 3_1 since it's just Kent and the Gentleman. I'll be doing the Kent part later today, so it's just a matter of waiting for the Gentleman part.
why not ? good idea. I hope I remember to leave you this editing once the parts are in :mrgreen:

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote: February 25th, 2018, 8:00 am https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/kinglear_lear_3_6.mp3 2:59
One more.
I have one daughter in Cornwall......It's just one spooky coincidence after another!!!!
:shock: indeed...maybe you were Lear in a previous life !

I just finished listening to your three madness scenes. Excellent, Craig ! :clap: The slow drift into the abysses of his mind are very nicely and gradually acted out. I can only imagine what mayhem it will be to have Tom, the Fool and Lear interact together :lol: and in between, to balance it all out, Kent who tries to be the voice of reason.

Loved it !

Scene 3.4. is already PL ok.

PL notes for Scene 3.2.:

> at 0:26: "Singe my white head!" - you say "beard"

> at 2:26: "Rive your concealing continents" - you say "concealed"

PL note for Scene 3.6.:

> at 0:39-0:55: "The foul fiend haunts poor Tom in the voice of a nightingale. Hoppedance cries in Tom’s belly for two white herring. Croak not, black angel; I have no food for thee." - that's Edgar's speech and can be cut out, to avoid confusion later on

Thank you :) Great job. Now on to Cornwall....

Sonia