COMPLETE: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, Vol. 2--jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Angela:

First a reminder...I need to know what name you intend to use for cataloging purposes. If you wish to use your user name (Harmonic Pearl) that is fine. Also if you have a website or blog you wish us to link to, please let us know that as well.

With respect to pronunciation, the Librivox rule is all pronunciation is ok. Proof listeners do not correct for it, and almost the only time it is mentioned is when someone asks for pronunciation help.

The phrase deus adjuva is Latin...an approximate pronunciation would be day-oos adieu-va (no j in latin but an i)

Raymond D'Argilles is French...an approximate pronunciation would be ray-moan dar zheel The "zh" sound is the "asu" in the word treasure. (I think that may be a soft j sound).

Not speaking much French or Latin, I just forge ahead with confidence, and the results often surprise me.

Good luck.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sections 10-12 are PL OK.
~ Larry
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks so much, Larry!

Philip
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PL OK
~ Larry
HarmonicPearl

Post by HarmonicPearl »

DrPGould, do you mean my name? My last name is Beaudoin. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean :(

Would you suggest my name or my username? And no I don't have a website or anything like that to link to... yet :p
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Angela:

For cataloging some folks wish to use a name besides their user name. My user name is DrPGould. I use it in cataloging as well because it keeps it simple. If you wish to use Angela Beaudoin on the catalog page instead of your user name, I need to set it up for you now.

Here is a catalog page from a project that has just completed. https://librivox.org/the-worlds-famous-orations-vol-iii-great-britain-i-by-william-jennings-bryan/ some folks have used their user name (like me) others have specified their real name.

I hope this clears things up.

Many thanks,

Philip
HarmonicPearl

Post by HarmonicPearl »

Okay, let's just use my username then. In the future can I switch it to my actual name once I start sounding more professional?
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

Here's Section 18:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/crowdsv2_18_mackay_128kb.mp3 [32:58]

....and by the way.....compliments to you for creating the link to text for each section, with all the language needed - it really simplifies the readers' task and I appreciate it!
Linda Johnson
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Linda:

Thank you so much for your kind remarks and for all your reading here. I'm putting Section 18 in the MW. (As lengthy as this project is I thought it might simplify matters if I created those additional links. I'm glad they proved to be helpful.)

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Angela:

I don't think switching a catalog name is too difficult, but I'll ask.

Many thanks,

Philip
HarmonicPearl

Post by HarmonicPearl »

I've recorded chapter 1 part 4 of this project and done a lot of editing. I've already noticed a few things slightly wrong with this recording of mine:

1-"tide of the battle" was supposed to say "tide of battle"

2-"unlucky for themselves" was supposed to say “unluckily for themselves

3-"provisions" sounded almost like "pri-visions"

4-"sufferings" was supposed to just be "suffering"

5-I attempted to edit out some of the breath noises, but if you listen closely, the room noise sounds a touch choppy in some places

This is my first time ever recording or editing speech. Next week I'm going to buy a Blue Snowball USB microphone, but at this moment I'm unfortunately using my laptop's microphone. I think it sounds okay, but based on what I've just said, do you think I should upload it for proof listening? Or should I throw it away and rerecord it next week?

Again, thank you so much for your help, I hope I'm not being too much trouble!  8-)

-Angie
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Angie:

1. You are NOT being too much trouble. It is always better to ask if you are unsure than to forge ahead.

2. I hope you are using Audacity--because if you are not, what I'm about to suggest will not make a lot of sense. (If you are not, let me know which software you are using and I'll see if someone else can assist you.)

In Audacity:

You should run the noise reduction utility...that will get rid of the background room noises and will lessen the breath noises. Here's a page with specifics on how to do that.

You should always listen to your recording and try to edit out all of the errors you notice before submitting for proof listening. Just rerecord the phrase (as in #1 below "tide of battle") copy it to your clipboard and paste it over the incorrect one in your file. Once you have done all of them, then save your file and upload it using the librivox uploader (directions in the first post of this project). Do the same with the other three.

Remember once you upload to post the link to this board along with the duration of the recording in minutes and seconds.

If you haven't downloaded the checker yet, you can save yourself some time by running the file through the checker. What is does and the download link are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

I hope this is helpful. You're on your way!

Many thanks,

Philip
HarmonicPearl

Post by HarmonicPearl »

Wonderful! Yes, I am using audacity.  I am extremely new to all of this:-), though I have recently watched many webinars and listened to many podcasts about voice over.  I think it best to rerecord it when I get my new microphone,  I can hardly wait!

What is the approximate deadline on this?

-Angie
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Angie. I'm not the one heading up this project or anything, but I'm going to throw my two cents in anyway, and I've got a hunch our BC would agree with me.

Don't re-record. Really. You won't be doing yourself any favors. Because the fact is that there is no such thing as a perfect recording. You could re-record ten times and who knows? You might still not be entirely happy with it. But a less-than-perfect recording is better than no recording at all. And there are probably parts of your recording that are perfect already. Why throw those away? Correct the places you messed up and call it good enough. Sometimes good enough really is good enough. (Also, it doesn't have to be word perfect, except for a few projects here and there, usually poetry or maybe religious texts. In that case, that requirement will be specified. The difference between "unlucky" and "unluckily" is, in my opinion, small enough not to worry about.)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

wildlindajohnson wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 11:24 am Here's Section 18:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/crowdsv2_18_mackay_128kb.mp3 [32:58]

....and by the way.....compliments to you for creating the link to text for each section, with all the language needed - it really simplifies the readers' task and I appreciate it!
PL OK for another fine recording of the chilling bit of history.
~ Larry