[COMPLETE/AUTOBIO/WWI] The Enormous Room by E E Cummings - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Do people typically use their forum name or IRL name in the catalog?
I cannot say which is used more. And some people use pseudonyms.

I'd recommend not using your exact forum name, because with that zero in there, it'd be unsearchable as most folks would search "jakeoftrades". Or you could use "JakeOfTrades" with an O for your catalog name. :idea:

My normal spiel is, "I recommend using whatever name you say (if any) when you say, "recorded by [your name]" as that's how listeners will look for you. (Keep in mind that prospective employers, classmates, enemies, etc. can also find you using the catalog name, so be cautious if privacy might be an issue.)"
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

deakle wrote: July 21st, 2018, 9:41 am Hi Tricia—Here's chapter nine with corrections:
file length 41:32.8

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/enormousroom_11_cummings_128kb.mp3

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the section/chapter confusion.

I'll get on the next section as soon as I can.

David
Spot check PL OK. Thanks!
deakle

Post by deakle »

Hi Tricia—I am uploading this recording in the hope that I might get some feedback on the problem, which I have had repeatedly, of the crackling that begins at about 3:28 and continues through the rest of the recording (notice that it happens with my voice, not in the silences).
I intend to re-record it, but I'm hoping you or someone else might be able to identify the problem. I have had to re-record most of the files I've submitted several times because of this phenomenon. I have not been able to identify any external cause for it, and only become of aware of it on playback. We have had some thunderstorms lately, and I've wondered whether it might be caused by atmospheric disturbance, but there was no electrical storm activity yesterday when I recorded this. So far, it seems to be entirely random, and sometimes I make it clear through a reading with no disturbance, sometimes not. I try to make sure my AC and refrigerator are not on, but that does not seem to be the problem, as I've made good recordings with both of these running, and bad ones when they were not. If you or someone at Librivox, recognizes this problem and can shed some light on how it can be avoided, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll just keep trying till I get a clean copy.

Thanks.
David

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/enormousroom_12_cummings_128kb.mp3
run time: 30:41
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know. :?

I've posted a 12-second sample over in "Need Help?" to see if anyone has any ideas. You may want to pop in there and let them know your setup - what kind of mic you're using, whether it's got a pre-amp or other specialized hardware, and your software (Audacity?)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=71101

P.S. You have a fair amount of background noise in this. Do you usually clean it up? That's a side issue.
Farnood

Post by Farnood »

Hi Tricia,

Here is chapter 5. 00:51:57.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/enormousroom_05_cummings_128kb.mp3

Chapter 6 is left and I will submit it for PL by tomorrow night. Thanks in advance for the patience.

Farnood
Farnood

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation" (Thoreau)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks, Farnood!
deakle

Post by deakle »

Hi, Tricia—
Well, after doing my best to follow the suggestions of Annise and Tovarsich, (to whom many thanks— I made a recording with no crackling, but it passed checker "with warnings" so I tried to make another, and got the crackling again, about four minutes in, through to the end. So I'm submitting the "with warnings" version, which still passed "with warnings" after I amplified quite a bit.

enormousroom_12_cummings_128kb.mp3 29.62 MB
file length: 30:51

I'll keep working on the crackling thing—I clearly need better equipment, but it will be some time before I am able to afford it. Meantime, I hope this is acceptable, and if not, I'll keep trying.

Thanks.
David
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 5:

1:55 - "events occur and be otherwise" - loud noise in this phrase

4:33 - loud click

5:25 - right after "monsieur sirvellon" (or however it's spelled) and right before "altogether not off" there's a weird noise

31:24- repeat: "with a few to... with a view to palliating"

50:19 - repeat: "or he is telling how a native stole up... how a native stole up"

The file could use some noise removal.

File name should be enormousroom_06 rather than 05. And chapter 6 will be enormousroom_07. Use the section number rather than the chapter number when naming files. :)

One bit of advice: pause more in your reading. Give the listener time to finish the thought before moving on to the next sentence or change of scene. ;)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

deakle wrote: July 24th, 2018, 1:02 pm Hi, Tricia—
Well, after doing my best to follow the suggestions of Annise and Tovarsich, (to whom many thanks— I made a recording with no crackling, but it passed checker "with warnings" so I tried to make another, and got the crackling again, about four minutes in, through to the end. So I'm submitting the "with warnings" version, which still passed "with warnings" after I amplified quite a bit.

enormousroom_12_cummings_128kb.mp3 29.62 MB
file length: 30:51

I'll keep working on the crackling thing—I clearly need better equipment, but it will be some time before I am able to afford it. Meantime, I hope this is acceptable, and if not, I'll keep trying.

Thanks.
David
The file that I'm listening to now has crackling. I think it's your original "Help! I have crackling!" file. I do not see a new file in the uploader. Could you try again?
Farnood

Post by Farnood »

Thank you, Tricia, for the feedback.

Chapter 5 (corrected) and chapter 6 ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/enormousroom_06_cummings_128kb.mp3 (51:53)
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/enormousroom_07_cummings_128kb.mp3 (57:32)
Farnood

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation" (Thoreau)
deakle

Post by deakle »

Hi Tricia—
It seems the file did not upload properly. Uploader goes through all the motions, but when I paste it into this message it does not show as a link:

I don't think I'm doing anything different—is something wrong here?

David
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I can't tell exactly what you did, but this time you uploaded the file 4 times. :lol: I've definitely got it this time!
deakle

Post by deakle »

Well, at least you got it—SMH. sorry for my ineptitude on the computer. I think I must have copied the file name before I uploaded it the first time. Then I thought the next two times failed also, but I guess they didn't... If this one's good, I'll start on section 13 tomorrow or the next day—I need to take a break!

David
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 6 PL OK

I'll listen to section 12 (can't recall chapter # at the moment) in a bit. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 12 - aside from the volume level which you mentioned, it's A-OK.

Are you using Audacity? If so, select the entire recording, then to to Effect / Compressor.
Use these settings:
Threshold: -15
Noise floor: -40
Ratio: 3:1
Leave the other two at their default

After it compresses, amplify your file by 5.5 dB (basically, as much as you can).

This gets the recording up to 88.8 dB for me. :) Or if you prefer, I can do this and re-upload.