[COMPLETE] The Future of the Women's Movement - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hannapalooza wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 12:19 pm Chapter 14 is done, upload link here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_14_swanwick_128kb.mp3

whoops forgot to add the time: 27:01

Han :)
Did you check the volume on this before submitting?
It comes in at only 79 dB, a long way below our target of 89 dB. I could not amplify this enough to bring into the acceptable range of 86-92 dB. There is also a pronounced background hum that will need some noise reduction to eliminate. Finally, though much more minor, the ending silence is a bit too long. Just trim it down to 5 seconds.
I'll do a full proof listen when the tech parameters are in line.
~ Larry
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ciufi wrote: March 7th, 2018, 1:55 pm Here is chapter 16 (26:54):

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_16_swanwick_128kb.mp3
Thank you! This is in the MW for PL.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ciufi wrote: March 7th, 2018, 1:55 pm Here is chapter 16 (26:54):

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_16_swanwick_128kb.mp3
Love it! Excellent chapter, with a reading to do it justice!
You've made a great contribution to this project. :clap:
(Still a couple of open sections 8-) )
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Larry. :)
benderca

Post by benderca »

...just a short note to let you know that my section is recorded and I'm almost finished editing. I'm on vacation, so if I find any mistakes while editing, I'll have to wait till next week to fix.
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Hello,

I would like to begin trying to fix chapter 11. Please pardon my inexperience. I know this is a silly question, but I'm not sure exactly how to find the file that I submitted. Do I check the files within audacity to pull up what I originally sent you or do I access the file via Librivox by downloading what I sent to you. If I access the file from Audacity do I make a copy of it -saving the original - since you mentioned that I could try to fix the volume by going to effects, amplify and decrease it to -10? After I do that should I then resubmit it to you, before I try fixing other things like the sub-headings etc.?

-Mari
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Mmemari wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 4:39 pm Hello,

I would like to begin trying to fix chapter 11. Please pardon my inexperience. I know this is a silly question, but I'm not sure exactly how to find the file that I submitted. Do I check the files within audacity to pull up what I originally sent you or do I access the file via Librivox by downloading what I sent to you.
No problem! We were all new once! :D

Did you keep a copy of the file saved on your computer? That would be the best, if so. Here it would be worthwhile to mention a little about how Audacity saves and names files. In Audacity, when you go to File>Save, Audacity will create a project file with a .aud extension as well as a folder to store little bits of data that it needs in order for you to edit files. So, if you name your project book_01_author_128kb, for instance, what you will end up with is an Audacity file called book_01_author_128kb.aud and a folder saved in the same location called book_01_author_128kb_data. When you go to File>Export, that is when you will convert that project to an mp3 file, and then you'll have book_01_author_128kb.mp3. I always keep the .aud file and the data folder saved on my computer until after I have my PL ok an a section and I know I don't need any further edits, then I delete them to save space and keep only the .mp3 file. If you still have both the .aud file and the data folder, then it's best to start there for your edits. That way, you don't have to convert back and forth to and from an mp3 format. If you don't have it, though, you can use the mp3 or, yes, if necessary, you can download the file you originally submitted. (After doing a few recordings when I was brand new here, I created a folder on my desktop that I named LibriVox, and I put all my recordings in there, so I always know where to find them. :wink: )
If I access the file from Audacity do I make a copy of it -saving the original - since you mentioned that I could try to fix the volume by going to effects, amplify and decrease it to -10?
I'm not quite certain I understand your question. I personally would not make a copy of the original, but you can if it helps you feel more comfortable while experimenting.
After I do that should I then resubmit it to you, before I try fixing other things like the sub-headings etc.?
I will leave it up to you how much you want to try in one shot. If you adjust the volume, and you feel like you could keep doing a little bit more, that would be perfectly fine with me! Or if you just want to double check just the volume first, that's ok too. We will go at your pace! Did you ever get Checker on your computer? That's the best way to check your volume, and it's the exact same program I would use, so I do recommend having that available.

I hope I answered your questions, but if not, please ask again!

EDIT: Actually, I just scanned backwards through the thread and remembered that your chapter actually has not been PLed yet, so it might be better to just fix the volume only and then submit. Then after Larry listens to it, he can provide you with specific problem locations that need to be fixed. Thanks for persisting in this! I think you will be glad you did when you are done! :thumbs:
RhiannonD

Post by RhiannonD »

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_12_swanwick_128kb.mp3

Chapter 12 is read. I'm still figuring out how to edit and making sure the volume level is ok. Please let me know if there is anything I shoulder adjust and I will do so as soon as possible. Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Rhiannon. What is the running time of the recording, please?
LiteratureLady

Post by LiteratureLady »

I would like to claim Chapter Eight. Thanks!
xoxo,
LiteratureLady <3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

LiteratureLady wrote: April 7th, 2018, 10:22 am I would like to claim Chapter Eight. Thanks!
Welcome to LibriVox, happy to have you! This is an extremely interesting book, and I hope you enjoy it. Before I assign you this section, however, I'll need you to complete your one-minute test. Instructions are found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

This is to make sure that recording software and equipment is set up ok, your volume levels are good, and all tech stuff is in place. That way, you'll avoid the frustration of recording for half an hour, editing for an hour, then finding out you have to start over because your settings were off! :wink:
LiteratureLady

Post by LiteratureLady »

xoxo,
LiteratureLady <3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Please post that link in the "Listeners and Editors Wanted" forum. Someone there will check it. I don't have time right now, but if no one has checked it before I get a chance, I will do it later.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

RhiannonD wrote: April 6th, 2018, 8:11 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_12_swanwick_128kb.mp3

Chapter 12 is read. I'm still figuring out how to edit and making sure the volume level is ok. Please let me know if there is anything I shoulder adjust and I will do so as soon as possible. Thanks!
This is nicely read!

The only issue is that your volume is quite a bit too high, at 94.8 dB. The LV target is 89 dB, with a range of 86-92 dB. You might use the little program written specifically for LV called Checker. It is very easy to use -- just drag your file over and you will get a check on al LV specs including the actual volume. You can find it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

For this file, in Audacity, select the Amplification feature, and select a value of -5 and it will be very close to our target.

The other program I use is a plugin for Audacity is ReplayGain, which can be found here: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php

One it is installed, just run it from the Analyze menu and it will tell you how many dB up or down you need to amplify.

Oh, one last thing -- you need FIVE seconds of silence at the end, and you have only one. Your outro is much lower in volume and just sounds jarring the way it is tacked on. You may not be able to change that, so don't worry -- just thought I'd mention it.

Adjust the volume, add the needed seconds at the end, then upload the corrected file (use the same name) and post the link here again with the new file length. (I've entered the length for this file -- something else Checker will tell you, but you can also get this from Audacity).

Thanks for the nice reading. :thumbs:
~ Larry