[COMPLETE] The Future of the Women's Movement - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Mmemari wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 11:46 am Thank you so much for the feedback!

I think since I am new at this I would like to try a shorter project for starts until I get the hang of it.
Although my recording test went well, I am having a problem with my computer, it makes a noise every so often when its been on too long. I think (in a addition to the volume issue, which I can fix) that may be the other problem you addressed, and the life of my battery is running out.

So until I can address that issue, can you please remove me from chapter (11), I would like to open it up to someone else. Also, before I take on another project, I would like to do another test for you to listen to (once my computer is ready) so you can let me know if I'm good to go.

Also, thank you so much for your encouragement. The feedback you provided is helpful as well as the newbie guide and tutorials. I will certainly keep trying.

-Mari
You have really already done 95% of the work! You've already recorded the entire chapter, and all it really needs is some fine-tuning. Please don't feel like you are too new or too inexperienced to tackle this! It will be my privilege to help you work through any little remaining issues. We aren't on a time crunch here, so you can take it slow and steady and just handle one issue at a time.

The biggest problem, like Larry said, is your volume. Easy! Highlight your recording. Go to Effects>Amplify, and enter -10. Done!

The clicks he mentioned look like they will be very easy to simply cut, since they don't occur during a moment when you're speaking. I skipped my way through the rest of the recording, and I think I heard one or two stumbles that will need to be cut. This is also very easy. (I can find you the specific locations later on.)

The one thing that will take a bit more work (because it's the only thing, as far as I know at least, that will need you to pull out your mic again) is that the chapter subheadings aren't there. I debated whether to even ask readers to include these in the recordings, because the formatting of the book kind of hides them away, but I really like them! (For that reason, of course, most of our readers so far have missed them; it's not just you!) If you look at the table of contents, you will see the following under the chapter title for Chapter 11: "Women’s crusade against prostitution, alcoholism, and war—Decay of Empires—Originally appetites, have become trades—Advertisement and finance—Vested interest in alcohol—Traffic in women—Chicago Vice Commission—More facts wanted—Enormous profits—Trade controlled by men—Ignorance and indifference—Traffic in war." I'd like that subheading to be read after the title in your introduction. It's not hard to paste a new phrase into what you've already recorded (although I think I'd been recording for a month or two before I ever learned it). This video taught me 90% of the techniques I use on a daily basis in editing, including how to add a new phrase into an existing recording.

Like I said (or, wait, did I?), the recording you've already submitted is perfectly usable, or it will be, after you've applied a very few edits. The reason that I'm pushing you to continue is because you've already put in a lot of work that I would hate to see wasted. With just a little bit more work, you'll have a finished chapter that's entirely ready to go, plus the experience you'll gain will be invaluable. I truly hope that you'll be willing to move forward on this, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

EDIT: Alternatively, since we're not in a hurry to finish this project, you can go ahead and start on some small projects (maybe the Weekly Poetry or something like that) and I can go ahead and keep you on Chapter 11. Then, when you're a little more comfortable with editing techniques and have hopefully addressed the computer issues, maybe you'll feel ready to make the edits necessary for this section. I just really hate to see any reader put in the work of a whole chapter and not get to use it. :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 12:37 am Chapter 10 is in the MW for PL.
PL OK for this nice reading!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Hannapalooza

Post by Hannapalooza »

Happy to take on chapters 14 and 15.

My first recording (have done my 1 minute test and had it approved) please name me as Han Burch in the catalogue. Thanks :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hannapalooza wrote: February 26th, 2018, 1:52 pm Happy to take on chapters 14 and 15.

My first recording (have done my 1 minute test and had it approved) please name me as Han Burch in the catalogue. Thanks :)
I am happy to assign those to you, and a big welcome to LibriVox and to this project!

When reading the title of each section, please also pay attention to the subheadings given for each chapter in the table of contents. I'd like those to be read as well.

Also, now that I've entered you into the reader database, you'll be able to view your reader page here ----> https://librivox.org/reader/12304 You can also get to this page by clicking on your name next to the section(s) assigned to you in the MW (magic window) of each project you're involved in. By clicking "Reader section details," at the top, you can see the status of each of your claims. It's pretty handy for keeping track of things. Please let me know if any questions arise! :D
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I'd like to claim chapter 4, please.
Mmemari

Post by Mmemari »

Your advice is well received...Thank you so much! I will press on, thanks for the encouragement.

-Mari
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ciufi wrote: February 28th, 2018, 1:29 pm I'd like to claim chapter 4, please.
Oops, I saw this post a couple days ago and thought I had responded. Chapter 4 is yours. I will assign it officially when I'm able.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That was fast! I'll try to put it in the MW tonight. Any others you're interested in?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ciufi wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 6:13 pm Here's chapter 4 (18:11):

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_04_swanwick_128kb.mp3
Well, let me be fast, too, and put this in the MW as PL OK -- in hopes of encouraging you to read some more. 8-)
Excellent reading. :clap:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Larry, much appreciated!
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I’d really like to read the last chapter, 16 ( I am going to have to research how to pronounce those names in the opening passage, though...).
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ciufi wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 9:22 pm I’d really like to read the last chapter, 16 ( I am going to have to research how to pronounce those names in the opening passage, though...).
All yours!

Those are some interesting names. My own instinct would be SAYTH-nin, TAYTH-rin, and EL-fin. I did do a little research just now, not on the names, but on the book they come from. (In fact, I've just posted it in Book Suggestions, since we don't have it at LV yet.) It's a re-working of some Arthurian legends, and the names seem to be based on Old English. Sounds interesting.
Hannapalooza

Post by Hannapalooza »

Chapter 14 is done, upload link here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_14_swanwick_128kb.mp3

whoops forgot to add the time: 27:01

Han :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hannapalooza wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 12:19 pm Chapter 14 is done, upload link here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/futurewomensmovement_14_swanwick_128kb.mp3

whoops forgot to add the time: 27:01

Han :)
Thanks. I've put this in the MW for PL. :thumbs: