COMPLETE[PLAY]The Blunderer by Moliere - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will start assembling all this tonight!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

great act yet again. I like the despair in Mascarille's voice sometimes, when he notices again how Lelio's blunders are destroying his plots. :lol:

A few notes here too, though:

> at 13:10: MASC. It is thus that rogues… / LEL. Villain! / MASC. Are served here. Keep that for my sake! - you need to leave a longer break between your two lines for Lelio to be inserted. Unless Todd could insert Lelio's lines merged with your voice, which of course may sound more natural in reality in a fighting scene ... :hmm: But maybe to leave Todd the choice, it may be easier for him to deal with it when there is a bit of a break

> at 14:40: I prevent all suspicion of my being the inventor or an accomplice - there is a stumble that can be cut out

> at 16:08: you missed the final long speech: "Doubtless it is the lover Celia spoke about. Were ever fortunes so tangled as ours? No sooner have we got rid of one trouble than we fall into another. In vain do we hear that Leander intends to abandon his pursuit, and to give us no further trouble; that the unexpected arrival of his father has turned the scales in favour of Hippolyta; that the old gentleman has employed his parental authority to make a thorough change, and that the marriage contract is going to be signed this very day; as soon as one rival withdraws, another and a more dangerous one starts up to destroy what little hope there was left. However, by a wonderful stratagem, I believe I shall be able to delay their departure and gain what time I want to put the finishing stroke to this famous affair. A great robbery has lately been committed, by whom, nobody knows. These gipsies have not generally the reputation of being very honest; upon this slight suspicion, I will cleverly get the fellow imprisoned for a few days. I know some officers of justice, open to a bribe, who will not hesitate on such an occasion; greedy and expecting some present, there is nothing they will not attempt with their eyes shut; be the accused ever so innocent, the purse is always criminal, and must pay for the offence."

thanks :) You really had a huge job with this role, Larry. Not an easy task.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 10:31 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/blunderer_mascarille_5_128kb.mp3
I wasn't quite sure what to do with the long story in Act 5, where Mascarille quotes two other characters, so I read it all. If I need to change that, let me know and I'll reformat it.
ah this is a great ending to it all. :clap: I think the way you spoke for the other characters in your lengthy speech is very well done. No I don't think that Todd intended for other readers to read those lines. It's entirely normal that Mascarille would say all this. :thumbs: Great job.

Mascarille Act 5 is PL ok and ready to be finalized !!!!!

Thanks Larry, great job with the whole role !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Larry,

The reading of Mascarille is wonderful! And what a huge role to read as well - you are about 30% or more of this play - I guess that makes sense since Moliere wrote and played that role. Bravo performance!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 1 ready for final PL! Plot, counter-plot, plot, counter-plot, plot, counter-plot. Poor Mascarille!

Also Act 2 is ready. More P - CP - P - CP!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 6th, 2018, 8:22 am Act 1 ready for final PL! Plot, counter-plot, plot, counter-plot, plot, counter-plot. Poor Mascarille!
wonderful first act :clap: indeed that was three plots by Mascarille counted. We need to keep track of all his ingenious ploys. Everybody is totally up to their roles but the bulk being the dialogue between Mascarille and Lelio is really great. Leanne and Larry are making a good team here. :thumbs:

I would only have one suggestion to correct, optional though:

> at 17:15: "Get you in (to Celia), and never take such a liberty again." - I think the stage directions "to Celia" were better placed before "Get you in" as Trufaldin already says this to her. There is not need to interrupt his speech then

great job, Todd. Especially making a rapid flow of dialogue when people interrupt each other. Well paced.

Act 2 will have to wait till after dinner though...

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: April 6th, 2018, 9:45 am
ToddHW wrote: April 6th, 2018, 8:22 am Act 1 ready for final PL! Plot, counter-plot, plot, counter-plot, plot, counter-plot. Poor Mascarille!
wonderful first act :clap: indeed that was three plots by Mascarille counted. We need to keep track of all his ingenious ploys. Everybody is totally up to their roles but the bulk being the dialogue between Mascarille and Lelio is really great. Leanne and Larry are making a good team here. :thumbs:

I would only have one suggestion to correct, optional though:

> at 17:15: "Get you in (to Celia), and never take such a liberty again." - I think the stage directions "to Celia" were better placed before "Get you in" as Trufaldin already says this to her. There is not need to interrupt his speech then

great job, Todd. Especially making a rapid flow of dialogue when people interrupt each other. Well paced.

Act 2 will have to wait till after dinner though...

Sonia
I made the change to Act 1 you suggest.

And Act 5 is also ready!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 6th, 2018, 10:08 amI made the change to Act 1 you suggest.
excellent ! Act 1 and also Act 2 are PL ok. :clap: I find it extremely funny that Lelio is always so cheerio, totally oblivious to what went wrong, while Mascarille is always very dry-humoured. :lol: I also liked my dialogue here with Nemo, the one where Anselmo meets a supposed dead Pandolphus. Ah...the list could go on, I liked everything :9:

Now on to Act 5....

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And Act 5 is also PL ok and a wonderful ending to a very twisted plot (and counterplot :lol: )

What I found absolutely hilarious here is hearing Andrès with his totally slavic gipsy drawl talking to Celia, who, supposedly also a gipsy, nevertheless has quite a posh accent. And in the end we find out both are brother and sister. :mrgreen: This enhances quite the comedy. Excellent.

Wonderfully played, team !

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: April 6th, 2018, 12:50 pm And Act 5 is also PL ok and a wonderful ending to a very twisted plot (and counterplot :lol: )

What I found absolutely hilarious here is hearing Andrès with his totally slavic gipsy drawl talking to Celia, who, supposedly also a gipsy, nevertheless has quite a posh accent. And in the end we find out both are brother and sister. :mrgreen: This enhances quite the comedy. Excellent.

Wonderfully played, team !

Sonia
omg! That's soooo funny. I was just trying to imagine what it would sound like if I had tried to emulate Chris's gypsy accent... :hmm: Hmmm, I think I could do it. Would you like me to rerecord? :shock: :help: Just kidding! :lol: I don't think Chris's accent is possible to reproduce -- it is uniquely one-of-its-kind wonderful! :clap: (Celia is quite upstaged, though - I feel a bit inadequate. :( hee, hee).
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: April 9th, 2018, 6:26 am omg! That's soooo funny. I was just trying to imagine what it would sound like if I had tried to emulate Chris's gypsy accent... :hmm: Hmmm, I think I could do it. Would you like me to rerecord? :shock: :help: Just kidding! :lol: I don't think Chris's accent is possible to reproduce -- it is uniquely one-of-its-kind wonderful! :clap: (Celia is quite upstaged, though - I feel a bit inadequate. :( hee, hee).
not at all. It actually makes sense...Celia is brought up more sheltered for most of the time, apart from this small interlude with the gipsies, while Andrès was probably living rough all through Italy. :lol:

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: April 9th, 2018, 7:05 am
not at all. It actually makes sense...Celia is brought up more sheltered for most of the time, apart from this small interlude with the gipsies, while Andrès was probably living rough all through Italy. :lol:

Sonia
Okay, that makes total sense, Sonia. Thanks, I feel a bit better now. :wink: .

But Celia is quite a passive character anyway. She is in a lot of scenes where she just gets referred to, or guided here and there, but doesn't say a word (although it's her life that is being decided). So I thought a soft, polite, mild-mannered voice would suit her character. The contrast to her brother Andrès is hilarious!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I really enjoyed assembling all these different parts. They go together so well in unexpected ways!

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: April 9th, 2018, 9:13 am I really enjoyed assembling all these different parts. They go together so well in unexpected ways!

Thanks, Todd
I totally agree. It’s so much fun to listen to the finished products — so many surprises. Nice work assembling, Todd! That’s a huge task!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Andrès knew ahead of time that the play would all come together hilariously ... his gipsy crystal ball and his fortune-telling skills told him so. But he did not dare reveal his joy, lest someone be tempted to strike a happy medium.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox