COMPLETE[PLAY]The Bores by Moliere - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

Only 5 have been pronounced more in the Italian way, pronounced with a final syllable '–tee', while French should be a mute ‘e’
I think I know why my pronunciation wavered -- Greek! In greek, everything is voiced, and Orante as a name made me think of Orestes, and then bam! confuso-brain. :lol:
AprilWalters
Not sure what I am doing with my life right now
Sorry for flaking out for 2016-2017.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Dorante, Act 2 for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bores_dorante_2_128kb.mp3

Length is 8:27

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

NemoR wrote: January 9th, 2018, 12:47 pm Dorante, Act 2 for PL:

Nemo
Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: January 9th, 2018, 12:47 pm Dorante, Act 2 for PL:
:lol: Nemo, this is brilliant ! Granted, this guy is one of the most annoying kind, and personally, I don't like people who ramble on in monologues without giving other people time to make their own input.

But: as far as your performance goes, I must give you my compliments, this is one of the best characters you have created so far. :9: Your voice has an excellent upper-class sneer, your droning tone fits the boring situation extremely well. I love the several interspersed chuckles. You sound exactly like the guy who is in love with his own voice. :mrgreen: All perfect. :clap:

I can't believe this will be the play where every one of us will be proud to be even more boring than the other :lol:

PL ok

Sonia
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

I just noticed the introductory material you mentioned is about 1500 words - should that be a separate file? (This is after I deleted out the footnotes).
AprilWalters
gawoozle

Post by gawoozle »

I will happily take one or more of the bit parts if you are still looking. Perhaps Filinte and La Riviere.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

AprilWalters wrote: January 10th, 2018, 3:40 pm I just noticed the introductory material you mentioned is about 1500 words - should that be a separate file? (This is after I deleted out the footnotes).
Leave it in one file for now. If necessary I will break it apart when I edit the first act together and see how it fits.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

gawoozle wrote: January 10th, 2018, 4:02 pm I will happily take one or more of the bit parts if you are still looking. Perhaps Filinte and La Riviere.
Great. I see that you have completed the one minute test so your equipment is all set up properly.

Please take Filinte OR La Riviere - let me know which one you want. I don't like to double cast as I want to give everyone a chance at a part. And there are lots more plays and Dramatic Readings that can use your voice.

When recording, start off with a voice credit: "xyz (character name), rst (description from the MW title), read by abc (your catalog name)". For example, "Trufaldin, an old man, read by Todd". Please leave plenty of room -3 to 5 seconds is enough - between lines or any embedded stage directions in your recording since I have to cut the files apart and then reassemble the master file for each act.

Any questions, post here. We're friendly folks.

Thanks, Todd
gawoozle

Post by gawoozle »

ToddHW wrote: January 10th, 2018, 4:31 pm
gawoozle wrote: January 10th, 2018, 4:02 pm I will happily take one or more of the bit parts if you are still looking. Perhaps Filinte and La Riviere.
Great. I see that you have completed the one minute test so your equipment is all set up properly.

Please take Filinte OR La Riviere - let me know which one you want. I don't like to double cast as I want to give everyone a chance at a part. And there are lots more plays and Dramatic Readings that can use your voice.

When recording, start off with a voice credit: "xyz (character name), rst (description from the MW title), read by abc (your catalog name)". For example, "Trufaldin, an old man, read by Todd". Please leave plenty of room -3 to 5 seconds is enough - between lines or any embedded stage directions in your recording since I have to cut the files apart and then reassemble the master file for each act.

Any questions, post here. We're friendly folks.

Thanks, Todd
Thank you. I will take Filinte. I will have it to you soon.

Travis
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bores_stagedirections_3_128kb.mp3 (4:12)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bores_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3 (3:45)

I've edited the "play" part of act 1, just need to finish the prefatory material. (I think I need to re-record the note from the translator -- I kept tripping over his words horribly. Moliere's words flow so much better, even in long chunks.)

Edit to add: I realized since I copied this part into word, I could highlight the text, hit SHIFT-F3 repeatedly, and it would eventually get to "sentence case" and nothing extra would be capitalized!

Because there are so many short scenes (short from *my* point of view, anyway), I added a little tone to separate each one (with silences around it), as a sort of "bookmark".
AprilWalters
AprilWalters

Post by AprilWalters »

And the last/first of the stage directions!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bores_stagedirections_1_128kb.mp3
(14:17)
AprilWalters
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

AprilWalters wrote: January 11th, 2018, 6:20 pm And the last/first of the stage directions!
Thanks!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AprilWalters wrote:And the last/first of the stage directions!
wow great, this was a huge job :shock: But it was really interesting to listen to the entire preface, you made it very lively and entertaining. You really got into the character of Molière who adresses the king. Well done :thumbs:

I have a few notes though:

> at 6:54: "it was necessary to separate the entrées of this ballet" – you say “to separate this of the ballet”, where we don't really know what "this" means :hmm:

> in the dramatis personae, you forgot to say “read by” each time. I guess every reader will read his role, but just in case one of them will go AWOL without a proper credit, we need the narrator to say this. I would be inclined to let you skip this and wait until the case presents itself, but let's see what Todd thinks about this before you do any changes.

BTW my compliments: the names are really very French :thumbs: And I love the way you say "a bore" each time with different intonation LOL

> at 12:49: "Orphise (laughing)" – you forgot to say Orphise, but I strongly suppose this will be cut out anyway, as our Orphise will surely laugh for real, still to be on the safe side, better add it

> at 13:07: "Alcandre (to Orphise)" – forgot Alcandre

The rest is perfect. And I don't think you needed to make these ring-tones in-between scenes. The startled me the first time they appeared LOL

thanks ! Great reading !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

concerning Act 2, on the whole, well read again, luckily it was not as much as the first act ;) However you were missing a few character names. When a stage direction is at the beginning of someone's speech, we need to include the name, so the listener will know who it is about. In most of the cases you included the name, but there are 4 missing:

> at 0:45: “Eraste (Aside)” – missing “Eraste”
> at 1:35: “Climène (to Orante) – missing “Climène”
> at 1:40: “Eraste (Aside)” – missing “Eraste”
> at 1:44: “Orante (to Climène)” – missing “Orante”

Sonia